Setup, So far free.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Are you driving short distances on your blend?

I had issues when I first started blending my own fuel and I think I narrowed it down to short distance drives and only running one tank.

My truck is in my sig... 4bt powered tahoe. My last tank that had any wmo in it was about 75/25 - w80/d2

We took a fairly long trip and the truck did great... but as soon as I got back home and started driving back and forth to work, it coked the injectors.

Ive now got a 2nd tank in place... a 30 plate FPHE installed and plumbed to the cooling system... and I have all the plumbing to get the tank plumbed... just havnt had time.

Plans are to run straight pump diesel in the main tank and only switch to waste oil when up to operating temp. I will also shut down and start on the main tank.

For giggles, you may look into some injector line heaters or a flat plate heat exchanger to preheat the fuel before it hits the chambers and see if that helps clean up the burn a bit.

-Chris

While I have not started to run alternative fuels yet I have read numerous times people having this same problem and switched over to doing the same thing. It seems like it is recommended a lot of times to do that especially when the temperature starts to drop or in a state where it doesn't stay warm all year round. If anything just to be on the safe side of things and only gets worse with the mix being more and more towards the alt side of things.

That is what I plan on doing here in KY just to have one less thing to worry about.

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
Are you driving short distances on your blend?

I had issues when I first started blending my own fuel and I think I narrowed it down to short distance drives and only running one tank.

My truck is in my sig... 4bt powered tahoe. My last tank that had any wmo in it was about 75/25 - w80/d2

We took a fairly long trip and the truck did great... but as soon as I got back home and started driving back and forth to work, it coked the injectors.

Ive now got a 2nd tank in place... a 30 plate FPHE installed and plumbed to the cooling system... and I have all the plumbing to get the tank plumbed... just havnt had time.

Plans are to run straight pump diesel in the main tank and only switch to waste oil when up to operating temp. I will also shut down and start on the main tank.

For giggles, you may look into some injector line heaters or a flat plate heat exchanger to preheat the fuel before it hits the chambers and see if that helps clean up the burn a bit.

-Chris

I would assume that by short distances, you mean not getting up to operating temp? If so, then no. I drive 21.7 miles to work everyday rolling hills with two good climbing hills. Also there is 3 miles of Interstate. I always let my truck warm up 5-10 minutes before I drive. Engine gets to operating temp only a few miles into my commute. Temp always runs 195-210 degrees.

I have been thinking about this WMO thing quite a lot. A couple of years ago, I learned about cetane. Then I forgot. Yesterday I remembered it and looked it up again.

Taken from Wikipedia:
"Cetane number or CN is an inverse function of a fuel's ignition delay, the time period between the start of injection and the first identifiable pressure increase during combustion of the fuel. In a particular diesel engine, higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower Cetane fuels. "

I think the lack of cetane is the main problem with my fuel and the coking issue. ULSD has a cetane number (CN) of 40-55 points on average. I assume WMO has 0?? This explains why my timing had to be raised so much. Too much ignition delay due to lack of cetane.

Also, I must point out that in the beginning, my fuel was something like W85 mixed about 50/50 with FF. Now, I'm not using FF, and have been only using W85. That's right, no additives, no cutting with regular diesel, just W85. Had I been mixing every batch 50/50 with ULSD, and adding PS or another cetane booster, I don't think I would have had any problems with timing adjustment or coking.

With that said, this morning the truck had about 1/4 tank full, which is about 8.75 gallons, just for reference. I mixed up 10 gallons of W85 cut with about 2 gallons of ULSD, and about 24 ounces of Power Service's Diesel Clean w/ Cetane booster.

I really don't know how much cetane booster to add. If W85 has 0, that means I need to add about 40 to it. Recommended mixture 1:400 and will add CN of 6. Mulitply by 7 to get inside the range for diesel. So for my 10 gallons, I should have added 32 ounces. But I wanted to start lower and gradually add more to find the best point. Maybe I can find the perfect amount to add so that I can drop my timing back to normal diesel burning advance, and can switch back and forth without issue.

BTW: Diesel Clean was $10.96 out the door. Adding 24 oz of that, and 2 gallons of pump diesel to 10 gallons means that it raises my cost per gallon to $1.24. That's quite the jump from $0.338 per gallon.

But that's still cheaper than $3.65 at the pump today.....

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We run straight W80 in my friend's (A48WillyzGuy) 7.3 NA IDI.. have put north of 150 gallons of wmo through it using this method. No heaters... no additives... just CLEAN wmo and stale gasoline.. and his truck drinks it.

I dont know what it is or what causes some to have so many issues and others to not...

My drive to work is only a mile so anymore then about 10% wmo in the main tank and it'll coke the injectors in a matter of days. A cold engine will not burn wmo clean.

As far as cetane is concerned... you may very well be onto something there. I think thats why a lot of people have good luck with preheating as it brings the fuel closer to ign. temp and also thins it out that much more meaning better atomization.

I wonder if there is an additive that is strictly a cetane booster and not a cleaner such as power service....

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
We run straight W80 in my friend's (A48WillyzGuy) 7.3 NA IDI.. have put north of 150 gallons of wmo through it using this method. No heaters... no additives... just CLEAN wmo and stale gasoline.. and his truck drinks it.

I dont know what it is or what causes some to have so many issues and others to not...

My drive to work is only a mile so anymore then about 10% wmo in the main tank and it'll coke the injectors in a matter of days. A cold engine will not burn wmo clean.

As far as cetane is concerned... you may very well be onto something there. I think thats why a lot of people have good luck with preheating as it brings the fuel closer to ign. temp and also thins it out that much more meaning better atomization.

I wonder if there is an additive that is strictly a cetane booster and not a cleaner such as power service....

They do make it, I know a few big brands of the top of my head including Amsoil. Not that you have to use their product, I just use a lot of their products so that one jumps in my head first but there are other companies as well.

I think a lot of it is just "how far" you want to go into things and how "in depth" you want to be. There are guys out there that spend crazy kinds of money on their process and others not so much. Some guys filter and preheat their mixture like crazy, and some guys just do the bare minimum and each one always is going to think their process works because they have went X number of miles with no problems or issues. Honestly it can depend greatly on location, the quality of product, and the specific vehicle alone. Some guys do everything in the book and still have issues, some guys hardly do anything and somehow never have a problem.

Last edited:

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you want a cleaner as well? Continuous cleaning with cetane boost is the way I look at it... Benz seems to be doing well with 20oz of that mixed in a 18-20gal batch.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK all this talk of running this stuff makes me wanna burn some black diesel my neighbor makes. Since I work for ford I could get plenty of used oil.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive tried the power service in the silver bottle but couldnt tell a difference in coking, etc.. however the short drives were my main problem I believe.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK all this talk of running this stuff makes me wanna burn some black diesel my neighbor makes. Since I work for ford I could get plenty of used oil.

Since your neighbor has the setup, you get the wmo, pay him in a certain gallons of wmo, have him filter it for you.... then run some in small amounts first.
Just to see how the pickup runs then increase your percentage of wmo..

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you want a cleaner as well? Continuous cleaning with cetane boost is the way I look at it... Benz seems to be doing well with 20oz of that mixed in a 18-20gal batch.

Here's my thinking behind this. If it's cleaning, then it's dropping things out of the fuel, right? If so, where is that stuff going? Sludge on the bottom of the tank? IDK, maybe im crazy. I'd prefer the particles staying suspended so it goes straight to, and gets stuck in the filter. I'd prefer to change my filter more often than having to drop the tank and clean lines.

I guess having cleaner in it probably wouldn't be bad.

cviola2005

6.2/6.5 Detroit Nut
Reaction score
Ok, so I just thought of something..... If injectors coke, then the GPs could/would be covered in "coke", correct? When I pulled my #1 injector, I noticed the GP was white, like corrosion. Maybe GPs coke over and become less efficient??? I think I may have a few bad ones also, but of the ones that work... i think aren't getting hot like they should.

Neighbor has an infrared temp gun, I'll borrow it and measure heat on GPs when I pull them. Then I'll clean them and check temp again.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to ask this, (for anyone to answer), white coloring on injectors, GP's is that water in fuel????(always thought it was some moisture in fuel)
Or something else in the combustion process= slower burn????