sent here from powerstroke.org with a question

musclecarguy91

Reaction score
I was sent her from a guy on powerstroke.org. I looked through the FAQ's to make sure I wasn't asking something asked several times. My cousin's friend has a 94 7.3 IDI non turbo with 215000 miles on it and the motor was just completely redone with over 2500 into it. The body is in pretty good shape and he is asking 6500 for it but I can probably get it for 5000. Are these 7.3 IDI motors any good? Also what makes them so different from a powerstroke? Also is it possible to get bigger HP numbers out of the IDI motors? Thanks

DragRag

Reaction score
I was sent her from a guy on powerstroke.org. I looked through the FAQ's to make sure I wasn't asking something asked several times. My cousin's friend has a 94 7.3 IDI non turbo with 215000 miles on it and the motor was just completely redone with over 2500 into it. The body is in pretty good shape and he is asking 6500 for it but I can probably get it for 5000. Are these 7.3 IDI motors any good? Also what makes them so different from a powerstroke? Also is it possible to get bigger HP numbers out of the IDI motors? Thanks

That is strong money for an idi with that kind of mileage imo.

Yes the 7.3l idi is great engine.

It is totally different engine then the powerstroke, they share basically no parts, except maybe the oil filter. Mechanical vs. Computer controlled.

Yes you can get bigger h.p. numbers, add a turbo, pyro, exhaust, and turn up the pump in short. There are other things you can do also, but that's the basics really. There are other mods though. If you are looking for big power though, and idi is not where it's at. Simplicity, relaibility, and cheap maintenance cost are the strong suit for these engines.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bigger horsepower isn't likely to happen without big money. What makes them different is instead of an expensive high pressure oil pump and stupidly expensive injectors these engine use a multi-port injection pump which has individual lines going to each injector. You can usually replace the whole fuel system on an IDI for what you will pay for a high pressure pump on a powerstroke. Hell 3 powerstroke injectors would just about cover it.

musclecarguy91

Reaction score
I wouldn't be looking to get big numbers or anything, just somehting with some spunk to it. The good thing I know about it is that the motor was just completely redone.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will have some spunk. When tuned right you can't really tell the difference between a turbo idi and an early powerstroke. Hell my 87 before the valve burnt could hang with most powerstrokes down here if they weren't heavily modified.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
listen just because it was redone... doesn't mean it was redone right.

i would look for receipts for the motor work, particularly to see if the motor was sleeved while it was apart and if SCA's or diesel coolant additives were used when the motor was installed. Just says alot if the motor when installed had the cooling system treated meaning if they added the additive, they knew of the cavitation problem and had the motor sleeved.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
price is a bit high but if its worth it to you,buy it!the idi is a great motor.leave it alone,maybe turn it up a little.itll last a long time especially if it was done right during the rebuild.i love the stroke but i also love the idi.only problem with the idi and well all OBS trucks is they are getting harder and harder to find parts for them.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think it would be a decent choice for a first diesel, kinda like a starter truck.

Welcome to OB;Sweet the greatest place on the planet for the 6.9/7.3 IDI in Fords and IH trucks BARE NONE!

Yes this would be an ideal starter truck cause u can get parts fairly simple, as well as moderately inexpensive.

Also it's not a rocket scientist, nuclear physicist degree to fix em if there is a problem. That's what all the Mensa class IDI gods here are for, your electronic brain is here...in the computer and internet....not on the truck.

If you can have verifiable proof that it was a professionally rebuilt engine and has the correct SCA's it could be a ok deal at 5K

Turbo kit's come on the board frequently for sale/trade as well as Craiglist and Kijiji Ebay etc. There arealso some hi po parts her; Moose pump, Moose Misters (injectors), Russ, Type4 has a nice cam members get and say makes a nice addition. ARP has studs, so there is a bit of aftermarket for them

Ya you can build these for moderate power but very reliable and the brotherhood here, well it's second to none.;Sweet

Take yer time, do not expect to see 400+ HP and 8 gazzilion lbs feet of Tq, these engines just where not designed for it. Don't get me wrong it can be done, but like the old saying....

HOW FAST DO YOU WANNA GO?....HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO SPEND

So stick around....hang out. Listen ask lots of questions and have a blast here....

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon and welcome to OB.

Just because you asked for some opinions: that's way too much money (like about double) IMHO. Unless he's owned it since it's brand new and has all the reciepts for the engine work, then it's just moderately overpriced :D

If you read a lot of postings, most gasser engine builders don't know enough about these engines to rebuild them correctly. Yes, he could have gotten a good rebuild, but you'll only be able to find out if you talk to the builder and he appears knowledgeable.

I'd go do some reading in the Tech Articles Section, then do some pricing research, then negotiate.

Good luck whatever you end up doing.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO they are the best motors I have ever found bar none. One ,ajor factor in the IDI's favor is they are mechanical rather then electrical. Thats a BIG PLUS in my book if they are even minimally maintained they will last at least 300 to 400 thousand I have heard of them going the full mileage of 500 thousand plus with a real well taken care of motor. Rebuilding them is a hell of a lot cheaper than an PSD OR a Cummings. The injectors are much cheaper, 2 PSD injectors is the same cost of the whole set on an IDI and you don't even want to compare prices on the feul injector pumps. The turbo IDI I have now doesn't even know when my 20 foot chris craft boat is behind it. You can build them up to well over 200+ horses and 400 torque if you spend the money or take the time to do it yourself First thing open the exhaust to 4" second open up the intake That will give you more power by 30 to 50. If that isn't enough throw a turbo on it once you get rid of the factory detuning and tune it properly That makes a bigger difference These guys here can tell you whatever you want to know the really know their schtuFF!!!!! I would buy it and never look back Especially the 94. I have had three an 87-88 a 93 and now a 94 turbo IDI I have never had trouble with any of them and I used to pull 10,000 lbs of forms every two days

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO they are the best motors I have ever found bar none. One ,ajor factor in the IDI's favor is they are mechanical rather then electrical. Thats a BIG PLUS in my book if they are even minimally maintained they will last at least 300 to 400 thousand I have heard of them going the full mileage of 500 thousand plus with a real well taken care of motor. Rebuilding them is a hell of a lot cheaper than an PSD OR a Cummings. The injectors are much cheaper, 2 PSD injectors is the same cost of the whole set on an IDI and you don't even want to compare prices on the feul injector pumps.

yes psd injectors are big money but how many sets will an idi go through before a psd needs a set?on the idi its a wise decision to replace injectors as a set where on a psd you only need to replace the bad one if you cant afford all 8.psd doesnt have an injector pump.it has a high pressure oil pump.the HPOP rarely goes bad if you keep the oil changed with rotella t at the minimum.psd rarely cavitates.psd doesnt need to be sleeved on a rebuild.can be built to 800+hp and still be streetable with a flip of a switch.

want me to keep going?the idi is a great engine.it is the roots to my love of diesels.wouldnt think twice about grabbing one for a good price.i owned one about 8 years and loved every minute of it.matter of fact the truck is still running as good as it did when i owned it.would love to get it back.but i love the psd a bit more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online