Scout down, NOT GOOD!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
well i was towing a friends trailer with a cavalier on it, YEAH i want to use my scout like a truck! ;Sweet i was coming down a big hill in second gear at about 2700 RPM and out of the blue SCREEEEEECH! uh oh...:puke: something in the trans locked up solid. it's jammed in second and won't budge. i got the transfercase in neutral to move it off the road, with the clutch in the engine will run, but as soon as i let off it snuffs out. i'm going to tear into it tomorrow. anyone ever have this issue? i've NEVER seen a t-19 do this, they're about the strongest transmissions out there. i'm almost considering an NV4500 but it sounds expensive. cookoo any suggestions guys? :dunno

thanks,
-Jon :mad:

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
best I can guess is some bearing seized up from lack of lube. Going downhill... maybe low oil and the rear was getting nothing? Obviously let us know the results of the teardown.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
trans is full, just checked it before i went. it's been hard to get out of second sometimes lately. wonderin if a pin came out.

-Jon

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well congrats, you actually managed to kill a T19. That is an exclusive club:hail

I would just put another one in or see if yours can be salvaged.

That of course assumes you have no unholy thoughts of having overdrive.:sly

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a full T19 gearset, all should be salvageable and in good shape except the reverse and reverse idler. If you want it, I'll give it to you, just pay shipping. It's out of the gear box so it shouldn't weigh too much. I would assume things would swap over.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i'm going to look in it today. thanks for the offers guys i'll let ya know whats going on with it! i love oilburners it always saves my ass! ;Sweet;Sweet:D

-Jon

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I have a full T19 gearset, all should be salvageable and in good shape except the reverse and reverse idler. If you want it, I'll give it to you, just pay shipping. It's out of the gear box so it shouldn't weigh too much. I would assume things would swap over.

good luck finding those replacement parts... took me at least a month and around $300 I believe. Seems to be the weakest part of the T19. Likely trashed only by people who do now know how to drive a stick. Mine was still working fine when I got it but those parts were ugly as sin when I broke it down.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good news is that any T18 or T19 can be made to fit with some work just gotta get the right bellhousing. I think with IH it's an SAE#3 bell with no adapter plate. I scored my T18 for $85 in the junkyard 2wd though.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a 2wd and 4wd t19 and a 4wd t18 laying around (im pretty close) and i know a yard that has one i can pull ya need one come down ill sell it for the cost of another
but thats a hard one cant use others experience noone has any lol
wither way good luck my ges was that a bearing failed and made it lock up bout the only wear parts on these

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
pulled the top off it today and there was a chip in one of the teeth. i'll post a picture tomorrow. i had my friend pull it backwards with my red scout with the orange one locked in 4 hi. it drug it about 5 feet then it popped and rolled. i put the top back on and in neutral it'll go forward, as soon as i put it in any gear and let off the clutch it shuts off. :confused: with the engine off it will shift through the gears. maybe a shift fork is messed up? it will take me 20 minutes to pull it, literally like 8 bolts.

thanks guys i'll keep ya posted!
-Jon

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
sounds like maybe a bent shift fork causing an interference but I cannot imagine how that would happen on its own going down a hill... unless it popped out of gear on its own... any bearing slop?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which gear had a chip? One of the idlers or one of the drive gears? My trashed one had reverse rounded a bit but a chunk out of the idler. I'd take 88 Beast's T18 if I were you. The 6.32:1 first is great esp for a scout or something which may be used offroad and the wide ratio is better for splitting if you want to add an auxillary trans. sometime. You sound like you're real handy, maybe you want to rebuild yourself. If the bad part of your gearset is good on my old gearset I'd fnish taking that apart provide we can verify they fit and I will charge you nothing other than shipping. We'd have to make sure the gearshaft is the same diameter exactly and the tooth count of the gears being swapped were also the same. If I could break it down to one gear shipping would probably be little of nothing. You could then get the small parts kit from bronco graveyard or Novak conversions, again make sure to get the right one...check tranny serial numbers. Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.