Scout down, NOT GOOD!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well he doesn't want the IDI T19 bellhousing unless he used the Ford transmission when he converted to diesel. The IH should have some bell that would bolt to a T18 transmission. Look at the Novak Conversions site that will tell you what you need to know. Is the IH T18/19 bolt pattern any different than the Ford one? All the Ford bells for the T18/19 and NP435 are the same bolt pattern on the transmission side but differ dramatically on the engine side. When I grabbed my gasser T18 from an F150 I unbolted it from the bell and left that for somebody who could hopefully use it, I had a Ford diesel bellhousing waiting at home but then my IDI has always had the Ford adapter plate on it as it's in a Ford app. Here's the 64 cent question....did you keep the adapter plate on your 6.9 from the donor and use a T19 Ford diesel bellhousing or did you eliminate the adapter plate and use a straight SAE3 bell? My understanding(flawed as it might be) was that the scouts all used SAE3 bells. Also the guys posting about the NP435 being the lowest gear ratio are right. It is 6.69:1 from what I can tell.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I see...so he must have used an adapter plate to get to the 6.9 engine, probably the Ford one. In that case all he needs is a box, no current bellhousing fits and should bolt to any T18, T19 or NP435.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I see...so he must have used an adapter plate to get to the 6.9 engine, probably the Ford one. In that case all he needs is a box, no current bellhousing fits and should bolt to any T18, T19 or NP435.
Maybe I missed something, so please excuse what may be a dumb question :sorry: but why would he have needed an adapter plate? Even if he used the tranny that came out of the IH, he could have used a Ford bellhousing, unless the IH T-19 was that much different from the Ford version...

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
umm...i have a '86 6.9L, alum ford bellhousing and ford diesel t-19. i was always under the assumption ONLY a t19 behind a 6.9L would bolt to the bellhousing and work with the diesel clutch. no one ever mentioned being able to use a gasser one.

and the diesel t19 bolts on the outside of the bellhousing, a scout one had studs and nuts on the inside. they're their own bellhousing pattern...

-Jon :confused:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nope you can bolt a gasser 18 up to your bell housing or even a NP435 with a lower first gear iffen you want to.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
all the ford 4 speeds all had same spline count, shaft diameter, and shaft lenght. even same 4 bolt h pattern to bolt to bell. hell even the 3 speed manual has same stuff.

my np435 is out of a 78 f250. had a 351 in front of it. bolted right in and i love the first gear for wheeling.

what tcase are you running?

i have the 435, bw 1356 tcase and 3.54 gears in my 1tons and with the 36 tires crawl ratio is great. i crawl slower than enyone else in our club. the bw case is a 2.5 to 1 in low range. i used to run the np205 but that low range is only 2 to 1.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Damn...that would have saved me so much time hassel and money if I had known that when I started the build, the engine had a bellhousing, but no trans. The local junkyards are scattered with old ford transmissions, but someone told me they were diesel specific. I have a divorced 205. I have 4.10s in the rears and 37 inch tires.

I have to pull the trans this weekend and see what's going on with it.

Thanks for the info...
-Jon

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The confusion comes from the ZF family where the trans IS diesel specific. That said however, the CORRECT trans is a T-19B. It is the correct one, because it is the one with the gear ratios Ford says you should have. You can use other ones, but you may not like the gear spread. They are designed for engines that turn a lot more R's than ours.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yea, my biggest complaint witht he 435 is the jumps from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th are big. but i dont tow with it, so not worried. i know with my setup, i can top out at 105 mph(proven). lol

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, my biggest complaint witht he 435 is the jumps from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th are big. but i dont tow with it, so not worried. i know with my setup, i can top out at 105 mph(proven). lol

Yup, in a non-towing rig the gear spread should be fine. For wheelin, the low first gear can't be beat. I have a 6.32 1st gear T-18 in my YJ for that reason.
Travis..

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i basically drive mine like a 3 speed on the street, first is to low for practical use there. 4th gear is always the same 1:1 for those transmissions. its just the mixture of the rest of the gears thats differant.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Damn...that would have saved me so much time hassel and money if I had known that when I started the build, the engine had a bellhousing, but no trans. The local junkyards are scattered with old ford transmissions, but someone told me they were diesel specific. I have a divorced 205. I have 4.10s in the rears and 37 inch tires.

I have to pull the trans this weekend and see what's going on with it.

Thanks for the info...
-Jon

With your short wheelbase I think I would have done an NP205 from an F150 and it would marry right to the 4x4 tranny.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Yeah I drive mine like a 3 spd also first is too low to use. Sometimes I drive it like a 2 speed, ah I love being able to pull out in 3rd haha.

And plywood, ferds drop on the wrong side, I have the longer wheelbased scout. Was 118 I bumped it up to 119.

-Jon