Scout down, NOT GOOD!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
yes.

off topic, how do u get away driving that thing on the road in pa with the tires sticking out lik ethey do in your avatar?

Good thanks dieselcrawler. Well, I don't, they bust my balls, yet the hundreds of jeeps I see crusing around with 3/4 of the tires sticking out don't seem to be bothered...? The flares are on order, even as much as I do not want to put them on, oh well.:dunno

-Jon

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
found a trans at the local pick a part. i was searching every truck, but there wasn't anything i needed in any trucks, about to give up, before we leave we usually play "guess the engine" in the engine pile by the crusher. my friend looked over "JON! there's you motor and trans!" yep, there was a 6.9 with a 4 speed in it. good thing those t19's are stout because the PTO on it was smashed in half and the bellhousing was cracked. somehow the truck must have been brought in and cut right up because i never saw it in there. as we were just on a "spotting" mission we had no tools. being under a straight 6, and half way up the pile, somehow we needed to get it out enough to get the trans, we found 2 pipes and flipped the I6 off it, then somehow twisted it until the trans was sticking out. the one pipe was filled with concrete so we smashed the bellhousing to pieces and pulled the trans off it. i spun it and it felt nice. went back this morning with some tools to look in it, pulled the top and PTO off it was clean inside! :D i put the cover on it and turned it over...4:1 first! :dunno oh well beggars cant be choosers i want the scout mobile i can live with it for the summer. i took it home, scraped it off, degreased it, and painted it black. then i fell asleep in the garage for an hour LOL, when i got up the sun baked the paint on nice. ;Sweet i put the trans under the scout, got it on my chest and bench pressed her in. i think it took a total of an hour and a half to swap transmissions minus painting and cleaning time! ;Really i love my scout!!!! :D took it for a spin, it's not awful but i miss the creeper first! i'll hunt a ZF5 with the 5.76:1 next summer. not too bad, had it back together in less than a week.

thanks for the tips/help guys!
-Jon

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you're back on the road. If you want a creeper, you should look into a brownie or a DNE2 underdrive. The unders seem quite a bit more common than the O/D in the Doug Nash world, and if it's known to be under you could probably get it pretty cheap. I sold one last summer for $33 plus shipping. I was pissed it was an under drive and listed it on ebay for starting at .99 and no reserve. Probably was an irrational move but I just wanted it out of my sight it was more trouble than it was worth at that point.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Jon, isn't the 5.76:1 first only behind the early gasser ZF?

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Glad you're back on the road. If you want a creeper, you should look into a brownie or a DNE2 underdrive. The unders seem quite a bit more common than the O/D in the Doug Nash world, and if it's known to be under you could probably get it pretty cheap. I sold one last summer for $33 plus shipping. I was pissed it was an under drive and listed it on ebay for starting at .99 and no reserve. Probably was an irrational move but I just wanted it out of my sight it was more trouble than it was worth at that point.

hes in a Scout ther is no way room for a brownie :sly

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
hes in a Scout ther is no way room for a brownie :sly

seeing as it's probably longer than my 15 inch jackshaft, it wouldn't work as i needed it to, to reduce gear ratio at ALL 4 WHEELS, if i wanted an OD unit, i have enough rear driveshaft length to fit one. remember, it's a terra, it's got a 118 inch wheel base. 18" longer than a regular scout! ;p may not seem like much but it is!

and i was reading, there was a 4.xx, a 5.xx (low side of 5), and the 5.76, or so that was what i found when i was looking up ratios. i think one was from a powerstroke, i'm pretty sure that'll bolt to a 6.9 correct?

-Jon;Sweet