Scout down, NOT GOOD!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i snapped the tailshaft and rear housing off the back of my t19. still have all the parts. 1500 rpm clutch drop with parking brake on - bad day. but made me feel good for some reason.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Thanks guys.I wasn't aware there was a diesel 6.32:1 trans, thought it was just the 5.5:1. I'll get the scout to the garage mabe tonight and tear into it and then ill start contacting the generous members offering me parts. Its like a big happy family here! Lol.;Sweet

-Jon

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon, that really stinks. Hope to hear what the carnage reports brings. Gotta wonder why the good 'ol T19 let loose.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a darn shame. Sounds like you had a tooth cut loose on you or something. There is loose metal in there somewhere.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
this is the only visible damage with the top off, i pulled the truck up with the top off and the rest of the gears looked good. :dunno

-Jon

Attachments

• chipper....jpg
    chipper....jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 37

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i pulled the top off it tonight and let off the clutch in "neutral", it moved, i could only move the front ring with my hand, either front or back the trans locked, same with the reverser arm, front or back it locked. :dunno

-Jon

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.I wasn't aware there was a diesel 6.32:1 trans, thought it was just the 5.5:1.

-Jon

There isn't, it's just a gas version wide ratio t-18. There are two t-18s, one with 6.32, and one with 4.56(?). The t-18 is a near bolt-in replacement for the t-19.
Travis..

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
the np435 will also bolt in. only thing i had to change was the revers plug on the harness.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of different bolt pattern t-18s. One from a Ford gasser will bolt up. IH was/is known to have some really oddball stuff.
Travis..

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
out of? whats the first gear ratio???

zuk, most t18s i've seen (mostly in scouts) have the trans to bellhousing bolts IN the bellhousing?

-Jon

I think the ratios are all on gearvendors site.

But the NP435 is coveted for having the lowest first gear.

You need a bellhousing off of a T-19 IDI Diesel and bolt that to the NP435 and that's supposed to work.