Same modifications for 4x2 to 4x4 conversion?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I am looking at a 94 cc dually auto that I might buy to convert to a 4x4 zf5, I have 2 transmissions left and some parts, 2 full 4x4 chassis really. An f250 and an f350.

I found a complete 4x4 frame for $200 but I also read that you can modify the 4x2 frame to bold up to 4x4 leaf springs, in all my searching I found a number of references but no specifics, can anyone help me out?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell homeboy... Yea outta character.

I have a 93 f250 4x in town if you need to look into doing a sas pm me to have a looksee.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never done it before, but recall some articles where people did do it. I remember them carefully positioning the rear leaf spring mounts, and also having to drill some holes in the 2wd frame to get them mounted. They took all the 2wd brackets off the 2wd frame, and they also drilled the rivets out for the front shackle mounts, had to cut the front frame horns a little bit, and then bolt the shackle brackets in place. The center pivot brackets are also different if you are using a ttb setup, I can't remember what they had to do if anything for the 4x4 center pivot bracket mounting to the frame. The 4x4 ttb arms are a lot shorter than the 2wd ttb arms.

Instead of doing all that, some people go ahead and put a shackle reversal kit under their 2wd truck. This gives them the front spring mounts, and the rear spring mount brackets, and it also gives them a little bit of lift at the same time. This kit is made for a dana 60 straight axle setup, but the ttb can be used if you use lift kit style dropped center pivot brackets with it. Sky manufacturing makes the shackle reversal kits, as well as a few others.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Hell homeboy... Yea outta character.

I have a 93 f250 4x in town if you need to look into doing a sas pm me to have a looksee.

Thanks, I've got all 3 types of bare frames at home, 2wd, 4x4 ttb, 4x4 straight axle, lost half a dozen trucks last October got a new duramax, but I miss an old idi.