4x4 Conversion

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a new f250 and I found one that is a really good deal. But it is a 2 wd.. I have a boat I haul and really should have 4 wheels drive. It’s about 10k and a steep ramp that is heavy traffic and always wet. So I wouldn’t have to do it immediately but how awful would a 4 wheels drive conversion be? I know the front end differences as I’ve rebuilt a few but are brackets different on the frame etc? Obviously a parts vehicle would be the most practical solution. Just thought I’d get some feedback before I decide.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
super duty axles are what i would buy.
you can buy the cheesie bolt on RSK or make your own
i make all my mounting

Attachments

• 319038400_678510047147163_6969212533611306357_n.jpg
    319038400_678510047147163_6969212533611306357_n.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 24

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a "period correct" dana60 conversion on mine. This was with a 1995 donor F350:

The Superduty coil spring setup is better in just about every way, but you'll have to swap the rear axle as well, unless you want to run two different wheel patterns. I wanted to keep my truck appearing as close to stock as possible, which is why I opted out of the SD style conversion.

There are some minor mods needed to the frame but not too much. The trickiest part is drilling accurate holes for the leaf spring brackets, and track bar mount. There is also an extra boxed portion at the front, passenger side of the frame rail that only the 4x4s have. And lastly, the swivel shackles at the front of the frame have to be added, so a bit more cutting and drilling to make that work.

From what I've seen on other threads, the SD style conversion might actually be easier, except for having to swap out two axles, instead of just one (not that the rear is all that complicated to do...).

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would do the 05+ SD axle swap since you're already coil suspension. Get the rear axle and wheels too.

If that's too aggressive to do all at once, do the tcase and a rear axle traction-aid first. 10k# is a heavy boat on a ramp. The 2.7x tcase reduction is what you want.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about the transmission. You will need one of those too. You can't convert a 2wd transmission into a 4x4 version unless you tear it completely down and install a few different parts. If you were doing a rebuild, that would be the time to convert a tranny to 4x4 duties. Or get a complete 4x4 trans and swap it in place. And of course it will need to be a trans from behind a diesel.

And your question about frame brackets; Yes, lots of rivet drilling and frame brackets to change out.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget the driveshafts! If the 2wd is clean and you find a rougher 4wd, you can always swap the clean body parts over to the 4wd. That’s what I’m doing :
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I looked into doing a 4x4 conversion years ago. It was either weld eyelets to the frame for the front leafs, or get coil over front axle, but you still have the issue of trans, unless you did a divorced t case. Overall, I ended up getting a 4x4 chassis that was partially parted out and swapping my good parts over. This is how I purchased my truck. No bed, no front end, just an axle, frame, and cab.

And this is it after building it. Had my old man paint the cab and rear doors to match the parts I put on.
So my advice, either build a truck or find one. Unless you're up to the task of fabbing a bunch of stuff.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of converting my 87 crew cab DRW 6.9 ZF5 truck to 4x4. I went with a Dana 60 on leaf springs. Didn't use Super Duty diffs because I didn't want to change the rear and I didn't want mix-matched wheel bolt patterns.

Everything is documented on my channel -
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do the 05+ SD axle swap since you're already coil suspension. Get the rear axle and wheels too.

If that's too aggressive to do all at once, do the tcase and a rear axle traction-aid first. 10k# is a heavy boat on a ramp. The 2.7x tcase reduction is what you want.
100% on this point. Having a transfer case is very handy even on a 2wd.

I converted my truck from C6 automatic to E4OD roughly 15 years ago to get overdrive. I was already running tall 3.08 gears at the time and the donor truck was a 4wd, so it came with a transfer case. I drove the truck for roughly 13 years as a 2wd, with with a 1356 transfer case. The parking gear will also have more torque handling capacity, since it will be going through the transfer case as well. I always put a truck in low range if parking on a steep hill with a load for this reason.

Rear traction aid is easier to find these days as well: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/ford-factory-e-locker-teardown-and-some-discussion.90536/

I have one on the shelf waiting to go in. Just need the time and gumption to get it done.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do wish these were in Australia, the only old f-trucks here are 5.8L gasers and the gov will not comply conversion, I believe only 6 IDI models ever were approved here n the few I’ve seen for sale now have the newer power stroke engines in them. The 7.3 IDI won’t fit in our aussy utes it’s too wide n even then we can’t rego them,

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a new f250 and I found one that is a really good deal. But it is a 2 wd.. I have a boat I haul and really should have 4 wheels drive. It’s about 10k and a steep ramp that is heavy traffic and always wet. So I wouldn’t have to do it immediately but how awful would a 4 wheels drive conversion be? I know the front end differences as I’ve rebuilt a few but are brackets different on the frame etc? Obviously a parts vehicle would be the most practical solution. Just thought I’d get some feedback before I decide.
Is it a 2wd zf5 or c6?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do wish these were in Australia, the only old f-trucks here are 5.8L gasers and the gov will not comply conversion, I believe only 6 IDI models ever were approved here n the few I’ve seen for sale now have the newer power stroke engines in them. The 7.3 IDI won’t fit in our aussy utes it’s too wide n even then we can’t rego them,
Any thing goes in Antarctica!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel