Ac newb questions

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in wa. State ac is only needed a few days a year. I plan on traveling and wanted my ac to work. I bought a new accumulator and pulled of the cover caps for a couple of days, and didn't realize this was a mistake. Should I get a new one?
Is the orifice under this fitting?
You must be registered for see images attach

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the orifice is under that quick connect fitting, in the lower evaporator tube.

James

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a vacuum pump and a set of gauges. The cheapest place for these is Harbor Freight. Once you check around to get someone to evacuate and fill the system, you will realize buying these few things at harbor Freight is cheap.

Once you finish your work, you can put the vacuum pump on it and leave it on the system overnight. This will get out any bad things and moisture that might have gotten in the system when you had it open.

Has this system been converted to r134a? If not, and that is what you are going to use, you need to buy a conversion kit.

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has no freon it when I bought the truck 3 years ago, I bought a compressor, dryer and conversion fittings, I was planning on using a red orifice tube and castor oil, still have to flush the system, harbor freight has gauges on sale, and was going to buy their 2 stage vacuum pump.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not helpful input necessarily, but I myself don’t mess with A/C systems, there is a shop in my town that does very good work, especially with A/C… if they can do it just as good or better, on something that I don’t want to do, like A/C or Dodge dash stuff, it goes to them.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has no freon it when I bought the truck 3 years ago, I bought a compressor, dryer and conversion fittings, I was planning on using a red orifice tube and castor oil, still have to flush the system, harbor freight has gauges on sale, and was going to buy their 2 stage vacuum pump.
Since you are going to flush the system, then you can use Ester oil or PAG. I would look at your compressor literature. See what kind of oil comes with it or what they recommend. If it has some PAG in it, you might want to go that route. You have options since you are flushing the system.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ester oil is used in conversions where there may be some old r12 oil still in the system. If your system is clean, you can use PAG. I have used ester in conversions, that comes in the conversion kits, with no problems. It's your choice.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
You're only going to have marginal luck flushing the system if you're flushing through the evaporator and condenser. What happened to me is I flushed it best I could and basically just ended up dislodging a bunch of crap that then got sucked into the compressor later and blowing it up. I recommend replacing the evaporator and condenser if you want it nice and clean. Also, installing the inlet filter screens on the compressor intake is always a good idea to catch anything in there. If you don't replace the evaporator and condenser, pull the vacuum for a long time so the flush will evaporate, doing a nitrogen sweep is always a good idea too but you'd need to have a nitrogen tank and gauges to do all that. Make sure to lay your compressor with the pully/clutch facing down for a few minutes to make sure the center shaft seal gets oil on it or else the center seal will start leaking before long. Replace all the o-rings you can get your hands on, you can buy a kit at auto parts store with most of the ones you need for your truck.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use ester oil unless it's a complete v!rgin system with all new components. Flushing lines is okay, I wouldn't flush a condenser or evaporator, it's just never 100% clean, especially with parallel flow condensers. So if the system grenaded and sent shrapnel throughout, don't bother flushing and replace everything.

If it had a leak and ran out of gas, you might have a chance at resurrection.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online