running regular wheels on dually axle

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I don't understand why you would want to make it a non dually?. What would be the reason for that? Is their any advantage of our trucks being single wheel over being a dually besides having narrower hips.

Cheaper tolls over here(by $4.25:eek:). 2 less tires to buy. better off road. i'm sure there are more reasons.

but there is less weight capacity. not so stable towing

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you would want to make it a non dually?. What would be the reason for that? Is their any advantage of our trucks being single wheel over being a dually besides having narrower hips.

there are many reasons.
approx 1 mpg less in fuel economy iv noticed.
but mainly the reason the OP and myself are asking about SRW is for winter months.
see,the wider the thread,the more the truck will float on top of the snow(we're both up in New England.)
you loose traction with DRW (which is why i find it so odd,most duallies where 2wd these years.)
for snow,you want the skinniest tire you can find for best traction.
running SRW will make a much more enjoyable ride in the winter,if the DRW's for the payload are not needed.

he has a 4wd cab and chassis,and iv got a converted SRW 4wd truck,so we may find our trucks go just fine.however if its as bad as i think it will be,i'll be running SRW for winter.
neither of us have driven our duallies in snow yet.so we want to know the best and easiest way to run SRW temporarily.
the OP has contemplated SRW and stock bed in the past,so he may be looking to convert SRW for good eventually.
though iv tried to convince him the 4wd C&C's like that shouldn't be altered.rather sold to someone who needs the setup.kinda be a shame to see a 4wd dually converted into a standard pickup that can be found everywhere much cheaper than his rig.:)

anyway,its all about traction.he's got a snow plow,and i'm looking into getting one too(please hold up for me D50!:D i really do not want a D60 if i can help it,but that's another story.)pushing snow with DRW isn't gunna be easy i wouldn't think lol.

Last edited:

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if your just doing it temporarily is it possible to just take one wheel off each side in the back?

I have a dually 2wd and never had a problem in snow yet. It could be because the truck weighs 10,000. I have driven down roads with 17" of snow that were not even plowed yet.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheaper tolls over here(by $4.25:eek:). 2 less tires to buy. better off road. i'm sure there are more reasons.

but there is less weight capacity. not so stable towing

As for tolls, just do what I did, get EZ Pass and make sure you get the white one. The charge for tolls is the regular car rate then. The only time I was charged the truck rate was on the PA turnpike where they have a scale at the booth. Other than that I was never charged the truck rate. Charging extra just because a truck has an extra 2 tires on it is dumb IMHO.

When my EZ Pass was not working because the battery wore out inside I went through a manned toll booth to the Outer Bridge crossing and was charged the same rate the 18 wheelers pay. To avoid that happening again I just went through the high speed easy pass lanes at 45MPH and was not even charged, nor did a ticket ever arrive in the mail. I figured that by going the speed limit their was no way to take a picture of a license plate going that quick and it looks as though I was right. :thumbsup:

Now that they have eliminated some toll booths on the GSP I can drive south quite a ways before hitting a toll booth. What they did was double the rate going back north so to avoid paying those tolls I will take the GSP south and take the highways and regular roads north. This way they are not making any money off of me :sly

About a year or so ago I had to go to upstate NY. By taking the toll roads it was quicker. So what I did was use the exact change lanes to pay the tolls when they were available and just paid the car rate.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
For me crossing the delaware water gap it is $0.75 for a dually pick up and

$5.00 for a dually with a flat bed, utility body, dump body, wrecker, roll back, anything other than a pick up box. they dont care about the weight. And if you are caught using a Passenger car EZ pass on a NON passenger car there is what i believe a 5,000 FINE. I cross the river alot so i can never have a dually non pick up box. I know this because i worked there for approx 10 months

As for the GSP weight limit is 7,000 north of rt 18. And we all know dually weigh more than that, especially non pick up ones

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me crossing the delaware water gap it is $0.75 for a dually pick up and

$5.00 for a dually with a flat bed, utility body, dump body, wrecker, roll back, anything other than a pick up box. they dont care about the weight. And if you are caught using a Passenger car EZ pass on a NON passenger car there is what i believe a 5,000 FINE. I cross the river alot so i can never have a dually non pick up box. I know this because i worked there for approx 10 months

As for the GSP weight limit is 7,000 north of rt 18. And we all know dually weigh more than that, especially non pick up ones

I think I might have crossed the same bridge as you over the Delaware into PA. Their is a bridge off of 22 that you can cross for free and takes you to the same area that I found out about except my truck is to high.

As for the 7000 pound limit north of 18 on the GSP I have seen a lot of pickup trucks that weigh over that running on the GSP in that area and some of them weigh more than 7000. It's not everyday that I take the GSP but their was a time when I would use it daily and that is why I obtained EZpass in the first place. At that time their were no 7000 pound weight limit signs.

When I applied for the NJ EZPass it did not ask for the weight of the truck. All they wanted was the year, make, model and license plate number. My truck has passenger plates on it and not commercial. So I will continue using the GSP north of rt 18 on the rare occasion that I do and take my chances. Not using the GSP when I would go up to upstate NY would have added three plus hours to the trip and that is something I am not willing to do. I've seen many state troopers along the way even towing a car trailer and my camper when I had it and not once was I ever pulled over.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are many reasons.
approx 1 mpg less in fuel economy iv noticed.
but mainly the reason the OP and myself are asking about SRW is for winter months.
see,the wider the thread,the more the truck will float on top of the snow(we're both up in New England.)
you loose traction with DRW (which is why i find it so odd,most duallies where 2wd these years.)
for snow,you want the skinniest tire you can find for best traction.
running SRW will make a much more enjoyable ride in the winter,if the DRW's for the payload are not needed.

he has a 4wd cab and chassis,and iv got a converted SRW 4wd truck,so we may find our trucks go just fine.however if its as bad as i think it will be,i'll be running SRW for winter.
neither of us have driven our duallies in snow yet.so we want to know the best and easiest way to run SRW temporarily.
the OP has contemplated SRW and stock bed in the past,so he may be looking to convert SRW for good eventually.
though iv tried to convince him the 4wd C&C's like that shouldn't be altered.rather sold to someone who needs the setup.kinda be a shame to see a 4wd dually converted into a standard pickup that can be found everywhere much cheaper than his rig.:)

anyway,its all about traction.he's got a snow plow,and i'm looking into getting one too(please hold up for me D50!:D i really do not want a D60 if i can help it,but that's another story.)pushing snow with DRW isn't gunna be easy i wouldn't think lol.

yep f250 pretty much answered for me here ;Sweet