running regular wheels on dually axle

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a cab and chassis, f350, so the frame is narrower and the rear dually axle is different than regular f350 dually axles, my grandfather has some spare wheels/tires that are off his f250, theyre 285's would I be able to put regualar truck tires on my dually? I would like to put them on the front too,

I read somewhere that this can cook the rear wheel bearings though?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285 tires may be to wide. Are you sure they are not 235?. Also are you talking about just the tires or the wheels also. Your title asks about wheels but your post is about tires. If your trying to run the wheels also they wont work on back or front. Duallys have different hubs in both the front and back from a single wheel truck.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Won't work on the front but might work on the back as long as there isn't a locating dowel on the hub. I've got my flatbed sitting on tires and rims from an 89 I'm cutting apart. Truck is alot easier to move when it only has four tires on it instead of six.

jukess289

Reaction score
I have a 94 350 cab and chassis that was a dually and I an running single wheel on the rear and replace the front hubs to single wheel with 285 on then and works fine yes the frame is narrower by 3 inches but the axle is the same and I have a pickup bed on the cab and chassis just sits 4 inches back front the cab looks a little funny but works

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have a cab and chassis, f350, so the frame is narrower and the rear dually axle is different than regular f350 dually axles, my grandfather has some spare wheels/tires that are off his f250, theyre 285's would I be able to put regualar truck tires on my dually? I would like to put them on the front too,

I read somewhere that this can cook the rear wheel bearings though?

You CAN run regular SRW wheels on a DRW truck but the Front dually adapters must be removed, otherwise the SRW tire will stick out 6" further than they should
I am not sure when ford put bolt on adapters i think 92-97(ball joint axles)
I know 86-at least 90 has the adapter as part of the hub, all you would need is hubs from a SRW D60 or D50.

As for the rear it would be a direct bolt on. the cab-n-chassi axle is 2" narrower than a SRW axle but the springs being on a 4" narrower pattern give you the room to run SRW. They will just be tucked under the truck 1" more than if you had a regular SRW axle. And dont worry about the wheel bearings, you are putting less stress on them w SRW wheels

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the same topic,
what your guys opinions of just removing the rear inner wheels and just running the outer wheels during the winter months?
do the dually wheels having such an offset become a week link when not paired up or there any other concerns about doing this?

iv got my stock wheels,so i guess i could just get two more tires,and mount those on the rear for winter.this would be cheaper than remounts and balancing wheels every season.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly how Brad described it - if you can pull the front hub extenders off you can run single wheels all around with no ill effects on anything. The locating dowel on the rear hubs can be cut off or even broken off (it's just a very big roll pin), if it's not rusted into nothingness by itself already.

As for tires, Compu Doc got it right, you can run them 285s on the front but the only way to run them in the rear is to have a pair of those big dually spacers installed between the inner and outer wheels, else your tires will touch sidewalls which is a big no-no.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually i thought the C&C rear axle,was the same axle as the SRW pickup axle,just their shock mounts where mounted different and due to the C&C's narrower springs,it could fit the BUDDS.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the same topic,
what your guys opinions of just removing the rear inner wheels and just running the outer wheels during the winter months?
do the dually wheels having such an offset become a week link when not paired up or there any other concerns about doing this?

iv got my stock wheels,so i guess i could just get two more tires,and mount those on the rear for winter.this would be cheaper than remounts and balancing wheels every season.

just running one drw rim on the rear will upset the balance and put extra stress on the wheel bearings. it would be like adding a pipe to a ratchet, doesnt hurt every once in a while in short use, but will tear up a lot if used a lot.
just run stock srw rims on the rear.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going to go through all the trouble of using SRW's and changing parts etc. In my opinion it would not be worth it just for the fact that you have tires and wheels laying around. If you do decide to do it just remember that your also decreasing the GVWR of the truck which simply means a dually can carry more weight in a load than an SRW truck can. Personally I think a dually is more stable.

There was one time where a blind old F&*^ -cuss ran a stop sign and I had to make an immediate left turn to avoid hitting him. I personally believe I would have put the truck on it's side had it not had dual wheels in the back.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
actually i thought the C&C rear axle,was the same axle as the SRW pickup axle,just their shock mounts where mounted different and due to the C&C's narrower springs,it could fit the BUDDS.

No

C-N-C axle is narrowest.

then SRW axle

then dually pick up axle is widest

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys I don't really want to hunt for front adapters off a d60, so she will stay a dually during the winter months

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
There was one time where a blind old F&*^ -cuss ran a stop sign and I had to make an immediate left turn to avoid hitting him. I personally believe I would have put the truck on it's side had it not had dual wheels in the back.

You're nicer than I, if there is any chance of damage to my truck by dodging them I'll ram them... I've been pulled over to many times for avoiding an accident.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys I don't really want to hunt for front adapters off a d60, so she will stay a dually during the winter months

I don't understand why you would want to make it a non dually?. What would be the reason for that? Is their any advantage of our trucks being single wheel over being a dually besides having narrower hips.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online