Run it or not?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
This is from my recent T19 project... As you can see, the idler gear as well as the reverse gear are pretty chewed up from somebody slamming it into reverse. All the other gears look good. What I am thinking- maybe ramp the idler gear to smooth it out a little as it looks like the reverse gear actually meshes towards the middle, not on the edge. I am thinking the reverse gear is trash though. It would not take much to convince me to replace both. What say you OilBurners? Run it as is or no?

Also, anybody know of a cheap parts source for tranny internals? The cheapest I can find is at least $100 for each gear and that seems high. Thanks

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 7

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why did you take this apart? Did you hear something or pop out of geartoo often. Drive west on the 60 feeway. There ae 2 pick-a-part yards with lots oidi trucks. Email me for particulars if you ned too. I "shop" both often...

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I have been to a couple pick a part yards... the one I am most familiar with is the one off Pyrite... Of the several times I have been there, I have never seen a single diesel. Lots of 460s... good for body parts but nothing mechanical. Also, I am a little hesitant to pull a tranny just to take some guts "in the field" but I have considered the option.

The idler gear cannot be reversed because it is different on one side from the other. The reverse gear prolly could but I am hesitant to do so because some of the chips go about 1/3 of the gear and the way I see it is that I lost that much strength since the heat treatment is only good for a couple millimeters.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace them both. With that much damage, you will eventually have cracks form in the gear body itself and thats the kind of thing that will leave you stranded or trash the rest of the tranny. I would not trust a transmission with internals like that and you will never have peace of mind on longer trips from home.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The other pick-a-part is on Milliken just about 1 mile north of the 60. Its on flat ground... Not like hiking the one on Pyrite is. Usually the Milliken store has several idi trucks in it. I even found a C6 Gear Vendors attached to a C6 in the back of a truck....:eek: Cost me less than $120.00....:D A long story goes with that perchase too....:sly

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Replace them both. With that much damage, you will eventually have cracks form in the gear body itself and thats the kind of thing that will leave you stranded or trash the rest of the tranny. I would not trust a transmission with internals like that and you will never have peace of mind on longer trips from home.

everything else looks really good with the exception of the output bearing, a normal wear item. The magnet did a good job of picking up all the chunks too.

I do not want to bother with a 5 speed... I am set on what I have transmission-wise...

I will have to check out that pick-a-part. The hills are not an issue for me as I am still officially a member of the youth. I will have to check out yours. I would not mind finding a gear vendor unit like you did. I pass by a lot of trucks once I see they are gassers... but I should really look underneath first. Time will be tighter now as I start summer classes tomorrow... and still will be working about full time.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, just to be clear, I meant to replace the gears that are damaged, not the whole transmission. The rest of the internals can be inspected and reused if no damage is found. I think you can salvage the tranny, but considering the cost of new parts, you might just keep an eye out for a used replacement. Sometimes they can go for under $200.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
No problem...

I guess I am going to be checking out some parts yards. I might just pull a whole tranny if I can find one and transplant the guts I need. Depends what, if anything, I can find. I am a little worried that a lot of these trannies will have this kind of damage though.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
tried the Pyrite pick a part with no luck... I will try Ontario tomorrow, err todayy (Sunday) now. It is late I guess. Hope they are open Sundays...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Calvin(towcat) has a 4X4 diesel T19 in the Bay area unless he has sold it. I was really blessed in a similar situation last summer to find a T18 for $75 in an F150. That diesel bellhousing is the key to letting you run any Ford 4 speed transmission, because the gasser bell will simply unbolt. That means an NP435, T18 or T19 will all go behind that diesel. I would use any of these transmissions with no hesitation.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I am only looking for a second transmission because it would be slightly cheaper than getting parts online. I would still want to use most of the guts from my current tranny. Also if I happen to get a second complete one, it would be preferred from a gasser, so I could use the lower first gear. Thanks for the input though.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Well.. no luck at the Ontario junkyard. I found 1 T19 and it was hooked up to a diesel so it would have the same first gear. I do not think it would be worth pulling it because for a couple dollars more I can get only the new gears I need. ( I can only buy th ewhole transmission from the pick-a-part place).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent