Rotella

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's some good info over there but it just got to be too much fighting with old coots who would rather fight than help people

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know . Its good to see you here man. I've found a lot more info pertaining to what I'm looking to do here , and a lot note people willing to help ......a lot more

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have slightly lowered the amount of ZDDP in most oils. It was around 1400PPM and now is 1000-1200PPM. The ZDDP protects engines with flat tappits. We have roller tappits so the slight lowering of ZDDP does not matter to us like it would if we were running a 396 with stiff valve springs. Also...They have started using other anti wear additives to replace the lowered ZDDP. Basically and 15w40 diesel oil you buy today be it synthetic or Conventional is much better than what was available when the trucks were new.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have slightly lowered the amount of ZDDP in most oils. It was around 1400PPM and now is 1000-1200PPM. The ZDDP protects engines with flat tappits. We have roller tappits so the slight lowering of ZDDP does not matter to us like it would if we were running a 396 with stiff valve springs. Also...They have started using other anti wear additives to replace the lowered ZDDP. Basically and 15w40 diesel oil you buy today be it synthetic or Conventional is much better than what was available when the trucks were new.

So what your saying is it really doesn't matter what kind of oil I run so long as its changed on time as in the 400LE , Delvac and Rotella are all ok ?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what your saying is it really doesn't matter what kind of oil I run so long as its changed on time as in the 400LE , Delvac and Rotella are all ok ?

Yep as long as its a Diesel oil it will be fine. Impossible as it sounds the Walmart Super tech oil is a very good oil. As good as the name brands. I did used oil analysis on it and its great stuff!

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep as long as its a Diesel oil it will be fine. Impossible as it sounds the Walmart Super tech oil is a very good oil. As good as the name brands. I did used oil analysis on it and its great stuff!

It's not that surprising, it's not like walmart makes oil. They just put their name on it. O'Reilly brand oil is Mobil...

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would explain why its so expensive compared to Walmart oil . I've been running Walmart super tech for about three years now in my motor that is to be replaced. Also I haven't changed my oil in two years reason being she loses a quart every one hundred miles so really she changes herself. I'm kind of anxious to get that 'ol beast out and look her over real good . Actually see where the oil is coming from. I know the head gaskets are leaking but I've never seen head gaskets leak like these . Its almost like there's a pressure plug missing or something . But , anyway my new(er) beast is a real gem , I gotta protect her . God knows how hard it is to find these engines now days. Not to mention expensive to rebuild. Not as bad as a powerstroke or dirtymax, but a helluva lot more than a small or big block ford or Chevy . Again I also know I need a good oil and change it regularly to protect my turbo

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If everyone only knew where all the different Brands of oil come from. They are not made at the original Refinery, they are in the business of making the high volumn of Gasoline, Diesel, Jet Fuel and the likes. You really don't even know for sure who made the Gas or Diesel fuel. There is a Husky Energy Co. in Lima OH, but you don't see a Husky service station. Husky is a Canadian Co. and they do have that Brand in Canada. There is only about a dozen Specialty motor oil companies that produce all the motor oil and specialty oils. They get there stock from who knows where, but the oils they produce are to the specs of the Company they package and label.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husky_Energy

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always heard the same thing your saying , most oils are made by the same people just different labels . I think the only company that may , and I say may because I don't know for sure , is AMSOIL

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say one thing I do know for sure, some oils aren't worth a crap. Back when used to build a lot of gassers , I pulled one apart that that had quaker state run thru it for years, owner swore he changed it every 3,500. It looked like it had black tar run thru it. And Pennzoil ....every engine I've run Pennzoil thru would burn it , I'm saying it would lose at least a quart every oil change. Now I run castrol in my gassers , and well I used to run Rotella then I started running Delo , I did notice that once I started running DELO it slowed oil consumption. But now I'm leaning toward Rotella T synthetic , but all I can find it in is 5w-30 , does the 5 weight hurt or help?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's some good info over there but it just got to be too much fighting with old coots who would rather fight than help people

Hey, drinkypoo, I'm one of those old coots on the TDS, I don't argue with anyone. TDS Bill1013. Yeah I know those three or four over there. Quote "I'm a diesel mechanic for a hundred years" Unquote. :rolleyes: :rotflmao

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, drinkypoo, I'm one of those old coots on the TDS, I don't argue with anyone. TDS Bill1013. Yeah I know those three or four over there. Quote "I'm a diesel mechanic for a hundred years" Unquote. :rolleyes: :rotflmao

Yeah, I like to argue personally, it's a flaw but I'm working on it, but I don't like arguments that go nowhere. And I was just having the same arguments with the same guys over and over again about how they knew everything but couldn't get simple stuff correct. So now I'm here :)

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no joke, I love it here, I've been building this truck for about four years off and on now. my most major mods have been in the past two years, with the addition of the extended cab. (wish I could get her painted!!) but seriously.... that turbo is going on this truck! I really got tired of listening to everybody say it can't be done. then came the buddy thing, I'd post a question, and if I didn't personally know somebody, or live beside them, either I wouldn't get a response or they would say something smart like "search the forums" .....im like HEY do you not think I can use a computer? if I could have found it , I would have, just to keep from having to talk to you!

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We run Rotella T6 in all of our subarus and its good stuff. In the truck though I havent switched yet, still running valvoline premium blue. Truck seems to like that alot, burns the dino rotella like its going out of style.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We run Rotella T6 in all of our subarus and its good stuff. In the truck though I havent switched yet, still running valvoline premium blue. Truck seems to like that alot, burns the dino rotella like its going out of style.

AAAHHHHHAAA.....that's what I'm talking about. some oils burn off quicker than others, even though their the same weight. Your talking about the Rotella T6 as in the 5w-40 right? I was wondering if the 5 weight in the older engines would cause a quicker burn off or not?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker