Rotella

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Yeah man , I know what you mean. Asking what oil is best is like asking.....what do strawberries taste like..? I'm asking more as in ...what results have you had with this oil or that oil?. I know some oils burn off faster than others . I've run into that with Rotella T. I also know engines are like finger prints, no two are the same....or at least inside, as they break in and settle .I'm just trying to avoid going out and buying an oil ...like let's say ...Rotella T synthetic in 5w-40, and spending $100.00 or so on three gallons. Then having to put a quart in it all the time because its so thin it burns off too fast. Or worse ....wind up seizing my turbo

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

So far I haven't noticed anything "funny" with my truck and the rotella 5w40. PSD Oil filter, hypermax turbo, etc etc. Gave it a work out earlier in the month hauling rock, this load was only small because it was time to get back and get breakfast. Had it near the rails the rest of the time. Probably around 20-24k lbs of rock total when we called it quits

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm more concerned about the injection system. I'd romp on it, and black smoke would come out. Other times white would, and the egts went fairly high on the highway unloaded at 75 mph. I think a date with a 32' trailer is still in his future for a california trip, but I need a new injection system before that. Debating on just going as is and taking a little while longer to get there... Time will tell!

No leaks or anything strange with the rotella. The closest call i've had with rotella was the 6.5 i've mentioned in a school bus

You must be registered for see images attach

It's a 1994 GMC with a 6.5 non turbo diesel, automatic. I had put rotella 15w40 in it, then cold set in. Before that, it was idled into the ground. Not withstanding the cold (it would get below freezing, this photo was taken on a rare warm day around 50-60 (still cool) My operating theory is that it was idled too much for the oil to become as thick as road tar...

I switched to rotella synthetic 5w40, and that's what it currently sits with. I've heard it was taken to a shop and torn down, the mechanic could find nothing about the oil pressure gauge always being at zero or not registering. (Supposedly a mechanical gauge was put on it, and still nothing registered. My suspicion levels are high, especially because the same mechanic wants to put a 350 or 454 in this chassis. no, no, and no.... Good grief! 1 mpg on a good day) Yet it apparently can be driven around where you see it above, and is. Also, it had racked up around around 500-600 miles in a two day period (180 miles each way) over a weekend. Severe service indeed. The gauge was showing "zero oil pressure" even then, and it kept being driven. By all rights, it should have died by now. yet it keeps going. No funny knocking or anything. It's slow, but what do you expect for a 16,000 lb GM powered diesel with no turbo?

If I didn't have faith in rotella, wouldn't have put it in my truck after the above "fiasco" (which is deeper then oil at this point) Still trying to figure out logistics of becoming the owner of it, so it can get the repair and care it needs... Being broke, that is a long ways away :dunno:confused:

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an amazing story. Long as I remember Rotella has been the standard in diesel engine oil. I've had a few that never used a drop. But that was before the advent of all these "new and improved" or so called.. diesel engines. Now many oils are reformulated to preform better in these engines , and to hell with the older ones. I think I may wind up going with the synthetic blend Rotella , but it doesn't get that cold around here . So I'm very wary of using the 5w-40, a lot of people claim its good year round . But with an engine that has 93,??? (IMHO that's not much at all) ,and was most likely broke in on a conventional oil. It makes me even more reluctant to run such a thin oil.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
That's an amazing story. Long as I remember Rotella has been the standard in diesel engine oil. I've had a few that never used a drop. But that was before the advent of all these "new and improved" or so called.. diesel engines. Now many oils are reformulated to preform better in these engines , and to hell with the older ones. I think I may wind up going with the synthetic blend Rotella , but it doesn't get that cold around here . So I'm very wary of using the 5w-40, a lot of people claim its good year round . But with an engine that has 93,??? (IMHO that's not much at all) ,and was most likely broke in on a conventional oil. It makes me even more reluctant to run such a thin oil.

I decided to have the 5W40 also in mine because I plan to do a lot of various projects and stuff in the years/decades to come, don't need the hassle of draining a oil because I cross into cold country. Where the bus is, does get down to 29, 15, etc degrees during the winter. Don't want to find out just what 15w40 may do in a scenario like that... When I move to pahrump (Bus in amargosa valley) it shares the similar climate. so better to get in the game ahead of time.

The old filter I took off had mobil delvac 15w40 written on it. Most i've heard with synthetic is that you may need to change it sooner after converting from dino to synthetic. The bs i've had to deal with oil though, I just keep a eye on it and judge based on my experience!

Forgot to mention with the bus: I put 2-3 gallons of rotella 5w40 in it after getting out what I (had patience for) could with a 1500 watt heat gun. Cranked it twice, boy did it protest. Finally got it turned over, and off it went. Had it driven around to get nice and warm, then dumped it. Was driven a few more times after that, then the owner got paranoid and parked it after the fiasco mentioned above. That's where I currently come in, if I had $200, i'd offer that and take it off their hands. Needs care and someone who actually understands diesels... :rolleyes:

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Needs care and someone who actually understands diesels... :rolleyes:

That's too often the case in these older engines. I see it all the time. Most of your younger people think building an engine is putting a K&N air filter , and a programmer box...then blamo ! You got a hot rod! Seems like nobody understands even the principles of how a engine works anymore ...especially a diesel

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
That's too often the case in these older engines. I see it all the time. Most of your younger people think building an engine is putting a K&N air filter , and a programmer box...then blamo ! You got a hot rod! Seems like nobody understands even the principles of how a engine works anymore ...especially a diesel

This one is comical actually.. The driver is about 10? years older then I am. and she (oops, maybe that answers it? sorry folks!) claims to have had a diesel before. If she did... God only knows what that one looked like. iirc, was a dodge cummins. so she's very impatient with the 6.5 NA. I bet if it was turboed even, it's still a slow pig up the hills being a 6.5. Speed is not their strong suit, regardless of the chassis configuration. 16k lbs doesn't help matters...

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
The car companies don't help either. I can't get over just how they have to "hide" everything. The ill fated malibu we had took me a while to find the power steering for a fluid check. Oops, electric assist! Need to fill the transmission? Tiny little plug on it's case somewhere.. No Dipstick? Ugh. No wonder vehicles are throw away...

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The car companies don't help either. I can't get over just how they have to "hide" everything. The ill fated malibu we had took me a while to find the power steering for a fluid check. Oops, electric assist! Need to fill the transmission? Tiny little plug on it's case somewhere.. No Dipstick? Ugh. No wonder vehicles are throw away...

Yeah I'm doing a variety of jobs on my A8 right now and one of them is transmission fill. The fill plug is in the bottom of the trans pan, you put a bent tube up through it and pump the fluid in. good times.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They want you to bring it back for service, if you fix it yourself they don't make any money

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run Rotella T dino out of habit (that's what my dad ran because that's what he saw was a good oil online). This summer or next summer I want to open up my valvetrain and valley pan, maybe timing cover too, and scrub them all out nicely, then I will be changing to the Rotella T6 synthetic. I do see a decent rate of oil consumption as is (about a quart every 1k (ESTIMATE)).

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
What do you use?
currently running T6 5W40 Its a must around here in the winter. 15W40 is just way too thick when its below zero. In the summer I have always run 15W40 though just because its cheaper. If you live in a place where it doesn't get very cold Id just stick with 15W40.

Id suggest doing an oil analysis and seeing what works best for your engine. A lab will be able to tell you more than any of us here could ever tell ya.

Also if oil fascinates you like it does me Id suggest checking out the bob is the oil guy forums. Lots of good reading there and they have several diesel specific sections.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now if I can find 15w 40 in a synthetic. I usually buy my oil at Walmart , I think all they have right now is the 5w 40 . I might get lucky in a few weeks ...hopefully its just seasonal. Not to mention ...I'm really interested in those 10,000 mile oil changes !

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Oil is one of those subjects that you ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers...

Personally ive noticed my trucks burn rotella like a fat kid eats cake...i switched to delo or delvac (delvac when I can get it cheap) and my consumption pretty much went away.

the more important part is actually changing your oil and filter on time

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil is one of those subjects that you ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers...

Personally ive noticed my trucks burn rotella like a fat kid eats cake...i switched to delo or delvac (delvac when I can get it cheap) and my consumption pretty much went away.

the more important part is actually changing your oil and filter on time

Your absolutely right , you'll get a bunch of opinions. I like a lot better when people say ---I used ....and had these results . Then when they say--well I prefer -blank- brand because I've always used it ....because...... Mr Goodwrench told me its the best

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online