Rotella

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotella T vs. Rotella T6. Can't tell me that wasn't intended to be confusing.

Brother you aren't kidding. Last week I was really confident about my oil selection. Didn't really even think about it. I was going to run 3 gallons of Delo and a motorcraft filter, and be done with it. now I'm confused as hell. I'd like to go with a full synthetic , but all I can find is 5w-40 in the Rotella and Mobil. Is that what everyone else is running?

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention all this lower ZDDP, and its really bad for your engine. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't, remember they are trying to get ALL the older vehicles off the road, remember "cash for clunkers?"

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make Rotella T6 in a 15W40, I think I'd rather run that than the 5W40. I don't know where you'd get it, though. I've got Delo 400LE in my engine right now, because I was at costco and it was on sale

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just changed my oil in the PSD, used the Motorcraft 15W40 because they didn't have the Rotella T6 in the 15W40, the 5W40 is for winter use where it's colder than a well diggers a$$. I would not run the 5W40 in summer time in any engine, except for the ones that specify it for all seasons.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
5W40 is fine for use all year long. Its full synthetic it handles the temperature of both winter and summer fine. 5w40 flows better than 15W40 so you get oil pressure quicker at start up and you may even see an increase in fuel economy.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5W40 is fine for use all year long. Its full synthetic it handles the temperature of both winter and summer fine. 5w40 flows better than 15W40 so you get oil pressure quicker at start up and you may even see an increase in fuel economy.

What do you use?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
May as well step up your filtration. Even if you don't go synthetic.
For example the Mobil 1 psd filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running a PSD filter for years now, usually a MOTORCRAFT, or a Wix. Is the Mobil good?

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard that , dad has a '99 1/2, I do all the maintenance on her. I wanted one for awhile , until I had to do a few major things ....$$$$

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I run the 5W40 rotella in my truck, not noticing any issues so far.

Settled on it after I got fedup with blatant amsoil pandering and just general bs related to oil.

"What oil do I run" is a very loaded question.

If it works, run it is my motto. I'll only run amsoil if they send "samples" each year, then maybe i'll buy it... get what i'm saying?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Not to mention all this lower ZDDP, and its really bad for your engine. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't, remember they are trying to get ALL the older vehicles off the road, remember "cash for clunkers?"

An oil with a higher ZDDP is Valvoline all fleet 15w-40. .15ppm or something like that. compared to 10-13 of most other dino oils. I run it and I run a few flat tappet engine also that NEED the higher ZDDP

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the 5W40 rotella in my truck, not noticing any issues so far.

Settled on it after I got fedup with blatant amsoil pandering and just general bs related to oil.

"What oil do I run" is a very loaded question.

If it works, run it is my motto. I'll only run amsoil if they send "samples" each year, then maybe i'll buy it... get what i'm saying?

Yeah man , I know what you mean. Asking what oil is best is like asking.....what do strawberries taste like..? I'm asking more as in ...what results have you had with this oil or that oil?. I know some oils burn off faster than others . I've run into that with Rotella T. I also know engines are like finger prints, no two are the same....or at least inside, as they break in and settle .I'm just trying to avoid going out and buying an oil ...like let's say ...Rotella T synthetic in 5w-40, and spending $100.00 or so on three gallons. Then having to put a quart in it all the time because its so thin it burns off too fast. Or worse ....wind up seizing my turbo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner