Return lines leaking STILL

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
After my last tirad i sought out to repair my leaking return line caps. Same ol song n dance, got everything back together and today i was using it and got home to check for leaks and the whole passenger bank is wet with second from the front oozin fuel. I have HAD IT, i dont know what else to do. This is now three different return line kits (two sourced from Typ4 which were good with no burrs inside) and half a dozen different sets of viton orings. Im at a loss here, its really ******* me off having to crank it for 5-8 seconds to get it to fire up cold. Thankfully everything else is in good working order (GPs, GP controller, batteries, starter, wiring). Also the rough idle on a warm start gets old, a quick blip of the throttle clears it up but gets old especially when someone else uses it and they have no idea what to do.

Could it be a burr or irregularity on the injector themselves? I dont see how after properly installing the orings (6 times) and 3 different sets of caps its all on me and my install. I make sure the o-rings are nice and lubed up and gently roll the top one into place and then roll the bottom on in to avoid tearing the bottom one going over the open top slot. Everything seems tight when its all together...

Think i should pull the injectors and check them for burrs or whatever? i dont know what else to do...When its been warmer here (above freezing) it doesnt take all that much to start it even after sitting but still longer than normal.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're having so many issues. Have you tried using Vaseline to lube the o rings and caps when you install everything? I used it (in ridiculous amounts) while installing my typefour kit and have had zero issues.

Mike

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Try using the plain ol orings that come with the kits and NOT the viton. . The rush to viton was started by folks wanting to use alternative fuels and teh stock rings wont hold up to them, but we've been finding in this area that the viton orings leak like sieves with plain diesel. The darn things are just too darn hard for the thinner fuel.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Ill have to see if i have any, i was using them because thats what i had with the kits and on hand. I think i have some regular o-rings yet.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried putting an oring on top of the cap? (that causes the injector line to press the return cap on and creates a tighter fit) That trick worked for me when I was having this problem. Done it ever since and will do from now on.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Ya but that kinda seemed like a band aid, id like them to fit on thier own. Maybe as a stop gap ill try that instead of taking everything apart.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
with how jankey our return system is, my opinion is anything that keeps it working and not leaking is a viable permanent solution.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Are you positive that cap is seated properly? Check the gap between the inj/bottom of cap. compare it to the caps that are not leaking

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
They sealed when i first installed then with the familiar snap. Cant look at anything for a while, truck is under 3" of snow and counting...

Exekiel69

Reaction score
From My experience You have to use the O-rings that come with the cap kit or it will eventually leak. Another thing I noticed on My own stuff is to make sure the lenght of the return hoses is right, meaning, the hoses are not pushing the caps away nor pulling the together. I hope this is helpful.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just fixed to leaking caps on mine last Friday. I thought that the return lines may have been pulling on them funny when I tightened the injector line nuts down. So this time I installed new o rings on the injectors, and then put the caps on while not hooked up to the return lines to try to get them seated properly. Once I did that I tightened the line nuts on the top of the injectors and then hooked the retun lines back up. It's kind of a pain to get to the return line clamps with the lines on but it is doable.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
buna n is 70 durometer hardness and viton is only 75 . still could be an issue, the main reason I started supplying viton was that the orings in the kit were sometimes suspect.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I got some return line kits from ebay and they were junk. So I bought from Russ.. Typ4 and never looked back for leaks.. I still open the hook and gander just to reassure myself that everything under there is ok. Never want to find out far from home things aren't right.. But I do carry a couple spare sets of retun line kits behind the rear seat...:sly Personally I would remove the problem injecter. Check it but install it in an easier location to get at... Then see if the leak follows. A close inspection of the injecter may tell you plenty..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08