Reasons that rear axle hub would be really tight after torqueing axle nut?

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is on 86 F350 with full float rear axle. Driver side came out OK. Reverse thread on axle nut, torqued to 55ft/lbs and could still spin hub backed off 5 clicks. I spun hub as i tightened a little at a time, also pulling hub in and out while there was play.

Go to the other side. Same procedure. The nut on this one was normal thread. I could tell as I was tightening that it felt stiffer than the other side. By the time I got to 45 ft/lbs, I could no longer spin the hub. Backed the nut out till it stopped clicking an tried again. Same result. Torqued to 55ft/lbs. Could not spin hub. Backed off 5 clicks, could spin, but felt stiffer than other side. Called it good for now, in hopes it would loosen up as I drove it.

Should I worry about this?
If so, what could be wrong?

On up side, got new axles seals on both sides and new brakes. The old ones were covered in oil. Didn't know that they were that bad. Should stop way better now. All the shoes were totally soaked in gear oil (not good).

-john

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a follow on question. NAPA got me the wrong bearings, so I ran the old ones. They all had some pitting on every bearing face, but not so bad on the races. Can they last a long time with this wear? I put about 5k miles a year on this truck, and only use it once in a while to haul stuff from HW store, get stuff from yard sales, or haul gravel for the driveway. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking I may be able to run these bearing for several year, but would like to get some input from some people with more experience.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They'll probably be ok for a few years with no more mileage that the truck sees. It also depends on how badly the bearings were pitted.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it apart, find the issue, then do it right, or set in the shop ******* "why did I not do it right the first time?" (Hope yer not inna ditch doing it)
Fubared bearings change the crush factor.
When you pull it apart look for bad contact marks.
Oh and "Napa Knowledge" RIGHT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online