Rear axle seals and bearings

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to know which brake shoes I need if I am not with the truck? It looks like the choices are either a shoe that is 3" wide or a shoe that is 2.5" wide.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford did upgrade the 10.25 seal to a new style that incorporates an oil slinger. It DOES require the inner bearing be changed. This is why the bearing replacement was required. It is WORTH the money to get the kit from Ford if it is still available. It probably has a U.S.A. made Timken in it, and never requires any kind of RTV crap. I did this to the Lady Moose when we first bought her in 2004 and it has never had a rear axle seal put in it since.

Can I call the dealership and ask for an upgrade kit for the 1994 model year, or should I just tell them I need a seal and bearing kit from a newer truck?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Single rear wheel takes the narrow one I believe.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Single rear wheel takes the narrow one I believe.

okay, thanks

Now I am just confused on what I need to get. Do I just need to the updated seal or do I need the full kit like Mel said? What is everyone else doing in my situation?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Can I call the dealership and ask for an upgrade kit for the 1994 model year, or should I just tell them I need a seal and bearing kit from a newer truck?

Napa sells this kit now too. Part #BRG BR3992K

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called the dealership and they cannot find any "kit" for the rear axle seals/bearings.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can answer a few of my own questions about the Napa kit since I just picked up two of them. Online they show as "Napa" brand. They come in an SKF box, and come with SKF instructions on how to install the upgraded seal kit, and also the odd but cool thing I discovered is that the bearing that comes with the kit is a Timken USA bearing! Just thought I would share the info.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the instructions provided with the kit they show a puller being used to pull the hub once the lock nut is removed. Is this necessary? For some reason I thought people just pulled and pried it off with their hands and pry bars...am I mistaken?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not worked on that new of an axle before. I have worked on a couple of 70's era full floaters, and once the axle and nut were off, the hub just slid off without a lot of force. Just like a front hub..... Remember, everything in there should be coated in grease/oil and be nice and slick. Unless you ran a bearing dry and galled it to the spindle, then it should just slide apart.......

To the point, we had a 73 F-250 and the drivers side wheel bearing failed on Dad on the way home. He looked in the mirror and saw the entire wheel about a foot away from the side of the truck. When the bearing failed, it allowed the hub to slide off the spindle and the axle shaft started to slide out of the housing..... New bearing and all was good.....

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 92....once you unbolt the axle and slide it out, you then take the nut off the hub. Once the nut(using that special tool you bought) is off, the hub nearly fell off. I bet you won't even have to pry on it. Replace the seal that is over the spindle of the axle, put the bearings and nut back on with the hub. Then the axle has a small o-ring that sale it back to the hub. I hoped mine out with a thin coating of RTV( not on the wheel seal, but where the axle bolts to the hub.)

Good luck!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to check the axle vent and make sure it isn't cloggd up. If it is, it could cause your new seals to blow out oil when pressure builds up from heat.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can find my old post here, I'm pretty sure I gave the Ford part number for the kit. Most dealerships won't be able to find it because it is not in their computers. But its been my experience that doesn't mean they can't get them.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to update my thread I got the job done and my truck passed inspection! Replacing the axle bearings and seal is not a huge job but it did take me some time...it took me longer just to put new brakes on the truck. It was hard for me to get the "meat hook" looking things hooked up to the spring that holds the shoe down.

Another note is that my truck is a single rear wheel truck and it takes the 3" pads not the 2.5"

In the kit I purchased no rtv was used, the big bearing that was replaced is supposed the be packed with grease, and the smaller outer bearing that is reused you just lubricate that with gear lube. Please let me know if you have any questions while everything is still fresh in my head;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

the nasty ness

here is the kit that I got from napa

old stuff out

new bearing with grease

oil slinger on top, fins pointing towards the bearing

seal installed, and yes they just push in

here are both hubs, with the repair/upgrade kits installed

buy twice as much brake cleaner as you think you might need. It's great stuff, but I needed probably 4 cans of it. Cleaned up with new hardware and new shoes.

My phone battery died, so those are the pictures I have. I did both sides but all of those pictures are from the right rear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online