Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does one hook this Z strip up again? One side is on the terminal where the GPs get the power from, dioes the other side just go to ground/base of the relay?

Thanks

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Z-strip must NOT touch any grounded surface, as that would be direct short to ground. One side of it goes to the big stud where your glowplugs are now. The other side gets the glowplugs harness. Basically the Z-strip is inline between the contactor and the glowplugs. How you gonna pull that off with the White-Rodgers contactor idk. You'll have to come up with a support for the other end of the Z-strip that isn't hooked up to the contactor, it's probably not a good idea to leave that just flapping in the wind. But that support needs to be electrically nonconducting, so some heat-resistant plastic would do the trick as that is essentially what the factory setup is.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you. basically it goes in line with the glow plug wires I understand.

so, left it unpluigged, about freezing this morning. glowed for 10 seconds..coughs. glowed another 10 came to life. Not what i like or am expecting ouit of brand new plugs and a solid wiring harness. Could it be the lack of cold advance? I am going to check voltage on all the terminals make sure they are all firing.
Or should I let em heat up 15 seconds?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like iirc the factory glow plug controller would glow for longer than that at those temps. I've seen someone on here post the expected length of time. Sounds fine to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Z-strip is inline between the contactor and the wires for the glowplugs. Our factory controller, before it bit the dust, would glow them for no less than 15 seconds on a cold engine, even in a hot summer day. Cold winter morning in the great white north, 20 wasn't unusual. If that wasn't enough to start the thing, upon key-off-key-on the 2nd glow cycle was much shorter, around 10 seconds IIRC. Worked good. It's when she got goofy once and held them lit for like half a minute that some plugs got sacrificed to the diesel gods, and that's when the controller got its wiring chopped off permanently.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. Ill give it 15 tomorrow and see how it goes. hiopefulyl ge tthe cold advance hooked up this weekend too.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glowed for 15 seconds, was probably low 40s. had to give it 2 glows, cranked for 3 seconds after the first glow....I dun get it.. Will be hooking up the cold advance this weekend, well see what that does, however its been unplugged last 3 years and the thing still started in the firgid cold 2 winters ago in like -20F..
I unplugged it becuase it was stuck on once. I would like it automatic but worst case I will put it on a toggle switch

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Have you tried unplugging all plugs, then energize the relay and see what voltage each glowplug connector is getting?
Something definitely isn't right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will also be doing that this weekend. Indeed, something isnt right. This is the second harness i built though. Doubt its the wiring, but Im hoping it is.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With your truck timed right (and we know for a fact that it is) the cold advance shouldn't make that much difference in ease of starting. At the very least not at the ambient temperatures you're working with now. I second checking voltage at each plug. Also make sure the plugs are in fact still good, I recall you said you ordered some new ones but i don't remember seeing you mention they arrive and you already installed them...

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes those were with the brand new plugs which i tested before putting them in. So i pulled all the plug harness off, all get voltage. So i hooked the cold advance up, was in the mid 50s, glowed close to 18 seconds, same thing..doesnt fire, coughs. Stopped, reflowed or 10, caught after 3 seconds of cranking.
Dunno, im at a loss woth this one.
Waiting on that controller with z strip to show up. Well see. If that doesnt work...dnno.
Would be devestating being out somewhere you cant plug in (work for example, after 8 hours sitting in -20f) and not being able to fire up under its own power like it always could!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What voltage are you getting at the plugs, whatever the battery is putting out? That should be plenty to light them stupid things up nice and good. Doubt the controller will help you, all the Z-strip does is drop the voltage, which for you seems to be just the opposite of what you need...

What's your cranking speed? I think you witnessed the split-second start our POS is capable of, your demon anywhere close to that?

Also, and I realize this is a very stupid question, but are you 100% certain that you have a glowplugs-related issue, and not say an air intrusion? Leave the thing plugged in overnight so tomorrow morning the engine is still nice and warm, see how quick it fires up then.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I thought he said it fired right up being plugged in.
Maybe try reading the voltage at one plug while the rest are pulling down the system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cranking is as good as one can get with an oem mitsu starter. She goes quite well. I think. When hot its a dun-dun vroom!probably just under a second for it to fire. It can maintain that speed for 10+ seconds, but i dont like crabking it for more than 3 at a time.
Yes battery voltage at plugs 12.45ish. Will pull down to high 10s, low 11s at the battery eith them all on. Didnt check at 1 pigtail with others plugged in.
Yes it fires up instantlywhen plugged in even for an hour or 2 at these temps, which leads me to rule out air intrusion.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And plugs are still good? I mean I know you said they were new and you checked them when they went it, but are they still good right now? Don't have to pull them to check, just measure resistance between the center terminal (where the harness goes on it) and the body (where they're screwed into the head).