Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i really liek the look and feel of this herculiner

You must be registered for see images attach

goes on super thick. well see how the durability is. 70$ at lowes, 20$ cheaper than anywhere else I looked! Monstaliner is anotehr good choice as it is UV stabilized, this one will fade, not that it really matters to me. Did the 2nd coat this morning.
Saw my turbo t4 flange will be in tonight so i can get that all done and the new downpipe modified this weekend. Basicaly everythign should be back together then jsut make the drain when the AN fittings come in on monday. Interior and bumper are the big things to finish this weekend.
Building a face cord wood holder under the deck this weekend as well, will be busy!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Been trying to decide what to put on the floor of the truck. Something like that might be good with some sound deadener over it and carpet.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that would make it very quiet i think. I put it over the rear cab wall, it stiffened it and defintily made it quieter. it was just paint before and was very tinny sounding when tapping it, now its a nice dull thud. (mine is jsut a flat sheet with two peices of angle iron welded to it to stiffen it, not like the stock ribbed unit)

guys, i cant express how happy I am with the new turbo, purely from the ease of install and maintenance. I mean, its not even on yet, but its super accessable to ge tto the 4 nuts holding the turbo to the flange, large easy access to both sides of the oil drain, my turbo blanket fits so much nicer without the big wastegate arm assembly, and this one is very easy to clock the hot and cold sides. Just over all much better clearance and access to everything..and should be making better power too! hoping to get some nice complete pictures of everything this weekend. Cant wait to see the bumper finally finished and painted, and a headliner in the cab with courtesy lights!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new downpipe and turbo is made, welded on teh t4 flange and ported everythign so its a nice flowpath,waiting on last peice today for the drain flange then can make the AN drain, and waiting on 1" crows foot tomorrow to actualyl tighten it as this sucker is tight. Installed the interior and LED lighting, stupid bright in there. new rad and block heater in, new coolant filter. and had some awesome double cheeseburgers my wife made.

if anyone has some red crewcab headliner trim pieces, the one that goes between the A and B pillar, i need both left and right side! Please PM me, could use them asap!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the -10 drain made, abotu 1mm of hose peeking through between the fittings...its a tight fit, ordered a stubby wrench and crows foot to tighten the bottom, well see how that goes tonight. I dropped one of the serrated flange nuts sumwhere on the back of the engine, had ot buy a new magnetic pickup to try to fish it out. Waiting for a 45 degree boost coupler tomorrow, but hoping to fire it tonight to check for any leaks.
so new block heater, rad, glowplug harness, turbo, and blower wiring-still need to do that.
hoping to be driving by thursday morning, and then time for a new windshield.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ran it for a few minutes last night. no immediate leaks. Doing oil change today and solidly mounting the catch can. -16 lines to and from it with oil resistant cloth braided hose. Dont want to be changing out the cheap heater hose every 6k miles due to oil permeation. Welding up the bumper, hopefulyl paint it. Skipping the gym to get this thing on the road again! need to probably swap the new urethane cab mounts to hockey pucks, they gto permenantly deformed previously. ordered a new aem dryflow air filter. the spectre is tiny and pitiful looking in comparison. Shell get chocked trying to supply 300 horse. Plus it was very dirty. bigger filter, can hold mroe dirt before performance suffers.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throw in a filter restriction gauge on the pre-turbo intake, then you'll know when the filter is too far gone. Living where you do, it will probably be years till you gotta worry about dust plugging up the filter badly.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will do when I make the final steel intake tube. Shoulda aken a pic of the spectre one that wa son there for abou t8k miles, was totally black!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is true.

WHen I get around to it, I will finally be hooking up my cold advance solenoid. Question, how much does it really help on cold morning starts?
I do miss that insanely loud clatter when its advanced..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where i got to this morning.

need to weld up that pipe you see in passenger side and put one more fitting onto the -16 hose for the catch can which is behind the driver headlight. more secure, adn easier to drain now!

should i paint the charge pipes yellow or black??

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That boot can't handle the 10-15 degrees of misalignment that you have to put a bend in the pipe? Talking about the pipe right before the turbo...

On our Fummins no right angle is actually 90 degrees and no 45 is actually 45. But all the pipes have rolled "safety" beads, so the boots have no way of letting go of the pipes short of ripping themselves apart first. Which is yet to happen even once.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could have, but it ended up putting it at a greater angle than 90 degrees. I notched and welded it this morning and all is good now. I dont have have the beads rolled on my tube, have yet to blow a boot off at 25 psi with the old hx35, if I do blow a boot off (not blowing it apart) ill take the pipes to work and roll a bead onto them. FInally this morning everythign is buttoned up and working, still have the cold start issue, I am going to ohm the relay after work. Its gor brand new beru GP, great leads. Wondering if the relay is not grounded properly? I read the relay should read less than 1.5 ohms across the poles when energised, will check it out. I know the thing friggin squeals like a pit when first energised..never heard a relay do that. and this is the 2nd brand new one. Same size as the relay on the stock GPC, BUT..i dont use a glow plug controller...maybe that is the issue? I know its pulling current, my interior LEDS dim alot and the voltage drops from 11.8v on teh batteries to about 10 when energised. Also..11.8V i dont like seeing on the batteries. Costco replacements..might have to warranty em soon. Going to put the load tester on it tonight as well to make sure.

I am 99% certain the startign issue is glow plug circuit related though. Only started happening after this whole build. started fine before. So its not low compression or weak pump. well..maybe weak pump actually since it has new injectors but old pump..maybe takes a bit of cranking to create enough pressure. BUT...it rolls greyish black smoke when cranking..hrm. anyway enough speculation, gotta go test after work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828