Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hooked up my trailer lights and did some aux reverse lights because i cant see a damn thing reversing at night.
need ot change the right flood/sp9ot combo to match the pure flood styl eon the left side.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

ps please dont scold me for the flag! it has been through alot and i got a new one to replace this one!

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question regarding cold advance. How should I go about wiring this up? I believe there is a little sensor in the head right beside it. I just need to feed it power to one side of the switch, and the other side connects to the solenoid? I want this one to be automatic just like factory.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, just like that. The switch is normally closed, so when the engine heats up the switch opens. (Turning off)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i need a bigger turbo, i knew the hx35 is getting pushed off the efficiency map before i even got it..but it was cheap.
wa grossing 14-15k yesterday, there is a decent grade about 7-8% for about 2 miles lf, i couldn tdo more than 52 mph up it WOT 4th gear,
EGT was 900 climbing slowly to 1000, coolant crept from 195 to almost 220, saw my oil pressure drop from 35 to 25 over the course of the 2-3 minutes up the hill.
some say going slow is fine, well thats not the goal with this. The hill is nothing comared to what some of you guys out west have.
I was towing an 85 merc 300sd on a uhaul trailer. I want to be able to tow another 8k lb truck if i need to, and the trailer will probably end up weighin more than the 2k uhaul one too. And not do 35 mph.
I was hazing decently going up the hill so it could use more volume of air.
Anyway, I will be on the lookout for an hx40, 45 or BW s460 or similar.

probalem is gearing too. doing 65 mph in 5th im turing like 1750-1800 rpm, which is too low, but in 4th its spinning so high there is no torque there, I know peak HP is pretty much at max rpm, but I would like to either move the torque peak higher, or just have more HP and torque available :D

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are running 3.73's with big tires right? You are also on a stock pump? You probably are at about your limit on fuel not just air. I would think the HX35 would be okay on a stock pump even turned up. So my guess is you will run out of fuel and air about the same time and if all you are seeing is a haze, you pretty much are there. In 4th gear with your combo you ought to be able to get 65 before you hit the governor right?

I think most of the cam's move and fatten the torque curve lower in the band so that's not really going to help you with your current situation other than maybe you just gain a little torque overall. The curves I have seen for the type4 torque cam are really flat through the band.

You may be at the point where you have to decide if it's going to be more air and fuel or less gear.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more fuel and air! I like the gears, only way id like ANY gears more is to have a splitter..pretty wide ratio on the s42.
I would actually love another gear on the trans so I could drop to about 1500 at 70 mph unloaded.

my pump is maxed out, so yes I am out of fuel (especially since stock pump tuning really pulls the fuel back at high rpm). I was speaking with justin how I can adjust my stock pump to feed more fuel at high rpm by messing with the big spring which controls the centifuge weights. So that is one issue for sure. Other is the hx45 (even though mine is a littl ebigger than what comes off a dodge) is still small and doesnt support the 7.3 flow rate at 3k rpm or so. Also i didnt have my WG hooked up so was probably over spinning it (totally forgot to hook it up).
I cant find any tech specs on my exact model of turbo, all I know is its 8 blade cold side, 56mm inducer, 14cm ex housing.
It also is only 2.5" V band ex outlet, and 2" cold side outlet.. cold sie is a little bottle necked. It also feeds right into a 90 degree bed, which I will be reworking (reversing hte flow through the IC to get rid of some tighter bends).

this being all said, took a ride in my buddys stock 05 dmax with just a tuner, he set it to the 150 horse tune...jesus that is too fast. I think youd beat everyone up that hill with my gross weight and that power. Figure its ~380-400 whp. Ill be ok with 300 whp!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those D'maxes are amazing... until they break... which a lot of them do. I have two buddies that have had fits with them. Bought new and NO tuners on them. Couldn't give me one unless I could go trade it in immediately. ;Really

You probably are a little choked off, but like you said, no appreciable smoke so you are probably about at your limit until you get more fuel in some fashion.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heat was definitly concerning me. Need more air before more fuel! Id rather have a turbo a little too big for the fuel i can put out, as long as Im not surging it or really off to the right side of the map. That oil pressure concerned me, and going up to 220 coolant i didnt like much either (i know you can run hotter..but I dont like it).

The oil could probably be changed. its Delo/mobil delvac mix. I get enough blow by that I probably empty a pint every 1.5 weeks or so from the catch can, so i just top it off lol. Maybe there is enough old sheared oil in there.. I usuall run 30 psi hot cruising, 15psi hot idle. But I am going to dump it all and fill it fresh. I have a bunch of Quartz 9000 5w40 diesel oil I got for free I will put in there.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drop in oil pressure was probably just the temp thinning it out a bit. True, if the egt's were getting scary on that pump, you probably need more turbo. Since you fabbed your own, you probably have more options. Hopefully, you left some extra room with your pedastool that you can wedge more turbo in and not have to change anything else.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too hope that is the case! well see when I pick up an hx40 or similar if something needs to be changed.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
well, i need a bigger turbo, i knew the hx35 is getting pushed off the efficiency map before i even got it..but it was cheap.
wa grossing 14-15k yesterday, there is a decent grade about 7-8% for about 2 miles lf, i couldn tdo more than 52 mph up it WOT 4th gear,
EGT was 900 climbing slowly to 1000, coolant crept from 195 to almost 220, saw my oil pressure drop from 35 to 25 over the course of the 2-3 minutes up the hill.
some say going slow is fine, well thats not the goal with this. The hill is nothing comared to what some of you guys out west have.
I was towing an 85 merc 300sd on a uhaul trailer. I want to be able to tow another 8k lb truck if i need to, and the trailer will probably end up weighin more than the 2k uhaul one too. And not do 35 mph.
I was hazing decently going up the hill so it could use more volume of air.
Anyway, I will be on the lookout for an hx40, 45 or BW s460 or similar.

probalem is gearing too. doing 65 mph in 5th im turing like 1750-1800 rpm, which is too low, but in 4th its spinning so high there is no torque there, I know peak HP is pretty much at max rpm, but I would like to either move the torque peak higher, or just have more HP and torque available :D

By my math you're at ~1750RPM at 52MPH in 4th gear w/ 3.73 and 37" tires??? If so, you're about 1000RPM too low man. At 1700 RPM I'm a smoke and EGT nightmare.

Recently, I grossed ~22k for 250 miles in flat northern IN and IL, yesterday I had roughly a 14k load from Northern IN to Southern IN to Cinci and then back through Indy and today I crossed the scales at 18.6k at the scrap yard.

That being said, my truck drops below 2000 RPM while towing, it gets a new gear (I have a 4.11 ratio and 31" stock 235/15/16 tires). Now, mind you I only have 4 to choose from LOL, not like that luxurious 5 you've got and you're in control of yours too! Power is up high on these engines. Sure there's torque down low but without a variable or compound turbo, there's no boost and not enough air (I drive an '08 6.4 at work). When I was grossing 22k I turned overdrive off the entire trip and went 55-60 MPH. As long as I hit the bottom of the hill at 10+ psi and 2500 RPM I could maintain speed. Never have had my truck WOT towing yet. Yesterday pulling up out of Cincinatti (pulling 6000lb trailer w/ 7500lb truck) going 70mph I was paying more attention to the traffic and topped the hill at 75, and that is in overdrive, going from roughly 2200-2400 RPM. Let er' spin

You might start a new thread for topics like this too. After 70 pages people may figure you've got everything figured out and don't read it. New title=new interest;Sweet

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The math is right..perhaps the gos said 62 not 52, there is no way it sounded like that, was defijitly over 2k rpm, i started at 70 at the bottom and must have ended up at 62. 1750 rpm at 52 with my setup, i know what that sounds like and this was much higher. That being said, at 62 i would be at 2100 rpm..still a little low, but i think i dropped into 4th around 65 mph..still need to investigate for leaks, but i should be at 2350 at 70 in 4th gear. Which should be fast enough engine speed. also will heat up more at lower rpms because that heat stays in the cylinder longer vs high rpm its in and out right quick.
i know when i drop into 4th doing 65-68 on the freeway it doesnt accelerate too much more than just rolling into it in5th..
Either way... Looks like ill be getting an s366 on her within a month i hope.., will try to do that in the week the truck is down while new rad is being shipped (old one lEakin after 3 yeats, lifetime warranty but damnit i just want something that works, damn ebay)

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Drop that thing in 4th before you even get to the hill. 2200-2400 RPM is where you need to be. Your 4th gearing is darn close to my OD gearing. No reason to play catch-up shifting gears halfway up while losing speed. Drop it down, peg the boost at the bottom and let her eat. Halfway up you'll realize you'll either going the same speed or gained 5mph:rotflmao

I am interested in seeing results of that new turbo too though. Don't get me wrong ;Sweet

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to tow something again up some hills..it was very fun. minus the crap mileage. there and back i used about 38-40 gallons doing 520 ish miles... no bueno. Seems it was tha tone time only i was able to get 18 mpg doing the same speed as usual (68-70mph)

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's 13-14 mpg towing.... I'm not sure what you are complaining about. That seems pretty good to me. :dunno