Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Off the immediate topic of sled pulling, but if I remember correct you're just running a studded NA engine with your turbo setup? No milled pistons or anything? I ask because I just finished studs and can now do the 14+ psi boost "thing" but I don't have shaved pistons or anything so I'm just thinking about too much compression.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
correct, stock long block with studs torqued to 155 ft lbs. stock cam. Ive hit 20+ lbs on long 4th gear pulls, so far so good.. Im sure that turbo could 30 pounds if really loaded, Im looking for a cheap hx40 so I can rob the cold side off of it, or I might just put the whole deal on. My ex outlet is 2.5" which immediately necks up to a 3" downpipe but still.. Less pressure, more volume!

jhenegh

Reaction score
correct, stock long block with studs torqued to 155 ft lbs. stock cam. Ive hit 20+ lbs on long 4th gear pulls, so far so good.. Im sure that turbo could 30 pounds if really loaded, Im looking for a cheap hx40 so I can rob the cold side off of it, or I might just put the whole deal on. My ex outlet is 2.5" which immediately necks up to a 3" downpipe but still.. Less pressure, more volume!

I went 127ft lbs on the studs. Hope it's enough

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are charts out there that you can see clamp load vs torque for X fastener,
I dont know what exact material or grade the arp stuff is, but I bet it is higher than grade 8,
but for example a fine thread gr8 .5" fastener, installed with lube at 80 lbs will net 14400 lbs of clamp load

we have 5 bolts per cyl, so clamp load is approx 72000 lbs per cyl using our gr8 fastener for ref.

just ball park, but peak combustioon pressure in a HI-PO diesel is 2400 PSI, we have a 4" bore, which is 12.56 in^2
so 12.56*2400=30,000 psi per cyl

So we have a FOX of over 2x with this fastener.

So yes, you are most likely ok with 127 ft lbs.
You did install with ARP lube right?
If you did it dry 127 ft lbs, that is equivalent to like 80 ft lbs lubed.
the hysteris skew gets even higher the more torque you induce un lubed.

jhenegh

Reaction score
there are charts out there that you can see clamp load vs torque for X fastener,
I dont know what exact material or grade the arp stuff is, but I bet it is higher than grade 8,
but for example a fine thread gr8 .5" fastener, installed with lube at 80 lbs will net 14400 lbs of clamp load

we have 5 bolts per cyl, so clamp load is approx 72000 lbs per cyl using our gr8 fastener for ref.

just ball park, but peak combustioon pressure in a HI-PO diesel is 2400 PSI, we have a 4" bore, which is 12.56 in^2
so 12.56*2400=30,000 psi per cyl

So we have a FOX of over 2x with this fastener.

So yes, you are most likely ok with 127 ft lbs.
You did install with ARP lube right?
If you did it dry 127 ft lbs, that is equivalent to like 80 ft lbs lubed.
the hysteris skew gets even higher the more torque you induce un lubed.

Good figurin' :hail

Yep used the ARP lube. I didn't quite run out of the little tube but I lubed the washers and threads as much as I dared in an attempt to not run out.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxCtuKiI0U0

little mud hole. Took the family out in the truck, was my first itme offroading in it too.
All i can say is...4x4 is AMAZING. tried doing a different hole in 2wd..nope not having it.
popped it in 4lo and and crawled through it like it was nothing. Hit some pretty deep muddy water, and had fun just cruising around some rougher terrain. Dumping my rear end fluid to put in the good LSD stuff...that was supposed to happen a day after putting the fluid in the first place...like 4 months ago. The LSD still works but im sure i shortened its lifespan by nbot having the friction modifier in there..
Cant wait to get true tracs front and rear. Wont be for a long..long time though..

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it out to enjoy it. That's what it's all about. You are correct in that there is nothing more useless in mud than a 2 wd diesel truck. ;Sweet

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^grass was my first let down when i first got the truck. Had crappy C load half used highway tread tires, 3.55 open rear, trying to back up a wet grass tiny hill...Couldnt do it.

Then in snow, small little hil.couldnt get up it. so frustrating. !

The first time I actualy ever experienced 4x4 wa sin my buddies little nissan hardbody on 31" mud terrains.
Our driveway was snowy and icy, as an experiement i tried crawling up in 2wd (has a good lsd too!)..didnt make it more than 2 feet. pop it in 4..and it just walks up as though it was dry!
At that point i said to myself..no matter what it ends up costing me..I WILL have a solid 4x4 rig. And here we are today!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Front and Rear Limited Slip Differentials absolutely ROCK!!!!!

We had an 83 F-150 4x4 that had factory Front and Rear Limited Slip Diffs in it. It was a true 4 wheel drive.....

It must have had at least 4.10's in it, in 4-Lo it would just sit in one place and hop on dry concrete.......

This F&R LSD was a unique option for the 150's of that era........... WE NEVER got that truck stuck........ got hung up a couple of times, but it was always able to get itself out......

Only thing you had to get used to, was in the winter, on a "crowned" country road, the truck would slide straight sideways until the passenger side wheels got to the ditch and caught traction, when you went to take off from a stop......

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
figured out my heating issue! Tomorrow will have a relayed blower fan and in cab heat finally.
And buddy put these on for me, 2010 super duty clearance lights. Eventually get some strobes in there.

You must be registered for see images attach

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never understood people's fascination with those darn cab lights - hey let's cut some giant holes in perfectly good sheetmetal and give the cab some excellent water ingress points if something ever smacks the roof hard enough to deform the skin... Wish our truck didn't have them stupid things, but they will be going away soon enough... And if I really wanted them they'd be in the visor, in the proper ICC pattern!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but they look so darn good!!
i silconed them around the perimiter and around the mounting and light holes..i can only hope now lol
I was thinking of putting my visor back on, but then i remebred i saw my mileage drop a solid 1 mpg with it on last time...