Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LCAM,
1) i just put new clamps on the ones, no other lines yet. truck definitly starts better and quicker. still not where it should be. Other lines to come.

2)it was just right back into the intake, how my tiube normally went. I guess it only work with 50+ psi or so thru it. O well, the stainless one im having made up will work quite nice.

3) the problem is I have absolutely no stock wiring going to the back of the cluster :D it sjsut htere as a palceholder till I make a cusotm one.

4)tbh i keep forgetting to measure lol.

truck beinbg mildly warm, (water temp showing 150f) i am seeing a little bit of smoke out the tialpipe while idling. Keeping an eye on the oil level.
Now this could be 1) seal blown on exhaust side? 2) blowby goes directly into turbo, I assume the IC catches alot of it but proibably not all, havent checked inlet pipe to manifold. I knwo ther eis a TON of oil getting into the compressor. 3) the truclk has 350k miles on it..it will smoke regardless. 4)timing could be off
5) is there a way to turn down how much fuel its getting at idle? Evne on the old setup, I had it timed at 9 degrees, it alsways really, really smells of exhaust at the rear of the truck. If i could turn down idle volume that would be awesome.

fir fun, heres an idle and rev video a tthe car wash. muffler has nice throat to it.
https://youtu.be/mCTlVzwoc5s

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question about shocks.
I got bnrand new monroe HS shocks in it. I feel they are underdamped or something for this 37" tire combo. when i go over bumps on the freewya there is is an oscillating 3-4 time after shock after the initial bump. ive never been in a super duty so i cant tell if this is normal.
Wondering if a bilstein 4600 would take care of this?
I knwo my steering is 100%. i can feel it comes from front and rear too.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have stock sized tires (265/75-16) and Bilstein 4600 (Blue and Yellow) Shocks. With this ~31inch tall A/T tire (Firerock Transforce A/T) when I hit a bump, it is just simply a single "thud".... no real rebound to speak of. Even speedbumps or railroad tracks are just a thump thump. The biggest thing I get is with it being 2 solid axles, you get the bit of "drift" over a big bump...... I don't think you should get the "dribbling" from the tires on a bump......

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
perhaps I am overdamped since it is an "HD" shock? its definitly not UNDER damped. ride is damn stiff. Considering getting a set of rancho 9000xl. 254 bucks for all 4 to my door with rebate. The adjustability would be nice..
I guess the best wya to describe how my ride feels is look at an empty dump truck going down the hiway lol. Thats me over decent bumps/potholes. I do have springs f and r from a dually..

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a dealer close? I would go drive a Super Duty that is similar to your setup if you can find one. I will say, my Excursion, at ~8000LBS, and leaf springs on all 4 corners (99-04 is all leaf, 05+ is the coil front) it most definitely "rides like a truck". It is not a bad ride, but the suspension does not feel soft. Too bad you aren't closer, I would pick you up and take you for a ride for comparison. One thing though, I keep the tires at 80 psi. I prefer the handling and the tires seem to wear better at that inflation. I would sat the best description is the ride if firm but not harsh.........

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) I never quite understood why folks are so hell-bent on replacing the only two gauges that actually do what they should on these things...

2) check your darn hub temperature. If that thing overheats on you and locks up in the middle of nowhere on your CA trip, there's a good chance you won't have to worry about selling the wife's Focus anymore, as she will no no longer be your wife LOL

3) your engine has 350k on it? And the timing is possibly off too. Embrace the oil burn, not much you can do about it. Well, obviously set the timing, but still, 350k is up there...

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
question about shocks.
I got bnrand new monroe HS shocks in it. I feel they are underdamped or something for this 37" tire combo. when i go over bumps on the freewya there is is an oscillating 3-4 time after shock after the initial bump. ive never been in a super duty so i cant tell if this is normal.
Wondering if a bilstein 4600 would take care of this?
I knwo my steering is 100%. i can feel it comes from front and rear too.

I have bilsteins on my 97 suburban love them so far
for my truck I'm thinking about Rancho shocks

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greg, you said that you were getting corner markers with black trim,
where did you end up getting them from?
do they sell the complete lamp and marker assembly?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDI, i just found a guy on car-part.com who had em for $10 a pop and shipped em.
Just got back from toronto trip.
Going there. Awefup mileage i was watching in horror the gauge moving down. 14 mpg! 67 mph whole way
This was at 8.5 btdc timing using Garys meter.
I got there, and i bumped it up to 9.2 btdc. on the way back got 18.5 mpg woo! (12.5l/100) doing 67-70 whole way.
thats good, proper acceptable mileage for an 8k trucks on 37s and a fromt end thats open lile a blue whales mouth during feeding. if i slowed to 60 im sure i could magage 20 but i aint got time for that.

Replaced the hanger bearing at folks hoise saturday morning because i was getting BAD vibrations, good now.

A request-can slmeone post a vid of zf5 gear rollover noise? Its quiet at idle but when im crawling around in 1st gear or low range holy hell it sounds like the bearings are gone in trans or tcase?!? Trans was siltwnt before the Luk swap. Bearings "felt" ok in the np205 before putting it in.

Truck is a lil smokey when accelerating from the lights normally (only see it at night with someones lights behind me) im putting my side exit 90deg pipe on tomorrow so its not getting all turbulenced under the truck

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18+ at 70, nice! If we can hit that consistently at 60 that would be awesome LOL

Cut powerflow to the 205 by dropping the intermediate shaft, bring the RPMs around 1000, see if she makes any noises? Also if you can find another ZF5 truck to compare to that could be helpful as well.

Low range does tend to bring out the worst noises of any gear drives, the more gears are turning with the larger reduction the more slop is accumulated between the gears and things get scary sounding.

Did you check your darn hub temps? It wasn't quite a joke ya know, someone just recently fried their wheel bearings and now needs a whole new axle...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my roll over noise was crazy as well...
after insulation and carpet, its barley noticeable now.
i can still hear it a touch chugging along.
but after that i dont hear it at all..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LCAM, ill admit i didn tgt an actual temp reading, but i did a 30 min drive ot home depot before leaving, and i touched both with my hand, and they are just barely warm to the touch, no difference between the two. The darn temp gun is sitting right on my kitchen counter, keep forgetting to take it!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know whats interesting with the hard start etc. Today i glowed the plugs for 15 seconds, and it fired up perfectly. on sat morning, it was ncie and warm, i glowed them for maybe..8 seconds, and it dindt wanna start, jsut coughed a bit! reglowed anotehr 5 and fired off.
I am wondering, would the starter relay I am using, not allow enough current to pass thru it, getting the plugs hot enough, requiring me to glow them for longer than "normal"?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance