Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good idea, I will be doing that. i had a 30" span on my old truck sbackrack it was great for keeping ladders in place.
Material will probably be 1"x2" 3/16 tube, 1/8" sheet on the bottom. Will probably gusset it a bit on the bottom side a little bit to give it some more bending strength.
Its a shame I wont be able to weld it fully behind the cab :( id have to pull the flatbed back. I could do it eventually when I have my hoist setup. For now Ill jsut weld it the best I can.

I want to add my HF truck crane ot the back too. obviously closest to the edge is the best, but it will look ugly having it stick out sideways from the cab. Kinda of want to bring it in line with the narrowest part of the cab (top), and shorten it..but thats a little ways away

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A big tree and a heavy truck with a winch will do the same as a hoist. Got one of those? At least the tree I mean, I'm sure you know someone with a winch?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick q. I want to put a fuel pressure gauge in the filter head. Shoudl I just unscrew the fitting closer to the rear of truck tha tlooks like an electric sensor?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what size spring clamp do I need for a 91 return system? The red ones that came with my dipaco kit are crap and loose. I got a large drianback issue and hard starting when sitting overnight.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 should be 1/4" return and yes the spring-loaded clamps would be colored red. Green is for the smaller 3/16" setups used on the 6.9 engines. So you need small clamps that fit 1/4" hose, you can take a piece of 1/4" hose to your favorite auto/industrial supplier and ask for a "fuel-injection" type clamp (uses a machine screw like 8-32 thread or something) that fits it. Then buy like 20 of said clamps. Parts stores should actually have those in stock, may have to venture out back to the commercial desk and dig thru their boxes - they will sell it to you even if you don't have a commercial account with them, it's just certain "shop-size" packagings are only available at stores that can cater to shops.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool thanks. I also recently replaced the fuel filter and reused the fuel bowl. (at th esam etime i put new injectors in) think there could be a compromise somewhere there?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel bowl is the aluminum one, right? That's reusable yes, and IIRC the o-ring that seals it is part of the fuel filter. Check to see if it's wet around the drain or the WIF sensor, usually it's the drain that tends to drip a bit if not tightened well. Also, our IDI no longer has a return line attached to its filter head - if she has no air sucking issues before the lift pump she does not need an air bleed, and if she has said issues then you need to fix them anyways. It's been like that for years, has ran thru some fierce winter conditions (that's when rubber tends to shrink and crack and leaks develop most), never had a no-start condition. Also you know the drill already, but have you checked the connector for the fuel heater on top of the filter head?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks dry on top of the head. Its strang,e i got an electric lift pump too, still starts hard after sitting overnight. clearly air in it becuase it wills tart rev up high and die. I can crack the injector lines after sitting overnigth and no fuel comes out too..

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you got some drainback issues alright. Does your e-pump have a 1-way check-valve, either built-in or something you added? The mechanical lift pumps have one, IMHO the e-pumps need it too. On top of that the end of the return lines down inside the tanks should have those rubber "duckbill" caps on them, those actually serve as 1-way valves so even if the fuel level is low near the bottom of the tank they still don't suck air in and let the fuel system drain down overnight.

Pop the return line off the filter head and cap/plug both it and the filter head, let her sit overnight and then see tomorrow if you still have a hard start condition.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uhh silly question, what do I use to cap the fittings? rubber vacuum cap will disintegrat eno?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ende dup getting a box of those 1/4" injection line clamps, well see how they work. The drainback is pretty severe, sat for 4 hours and had a hard start. its strange though the fuel bowl in the e pump (mounted on fireall) is full. So i guess it drains everything from the filter and return lines back to the tank. Are there viton caps available?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont know about the 91,
but i was getting drain back on my 87-90 from the old WFS thats on the driverside inbetween the power booster and fender.
youve most likely deleted it tho

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online