Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i have those exact flanges. Before i thought i can jsut come straight out with 1" runner into the 2" log manifold. But just now realized on driver side u need the manifold above the bolts, and on passenger side its belower the header bolts.
Im doing it powerstroke style. I ont want to deal with all the excess piping, so i make it ******* myself by making custom stuff. Im using 2" flex couplers to reduce vibrations, and own peestal made out of some plate that bolts in place of the glow plug controller, and then just make my own feed and return oil lines. Turbo is a 14cm exhaust housing HX35. rebuilt and balanced, old 7 blade style. The best? definitily not but it was cheap. Its going to be intercooled with a 6.0 cooler so im not afraid of boostin

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lord jesus, cheapestr i have found was 20 bucks a pop for the short radius 90 degree bends. I think ima make my own, its cruel and hack but not spending 160 bucks just on elbows. Just going to make the turns out of 3 sections of stright, with two 45 degree angle cut sin between them, so 22.5 degrees per pipe. dunno jsu thtinking out loud still.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the OD of them will be too large to allow the bolt to go thru. Wonder if studs would help in this situation depending on header design.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah, goign to pick up some 1" and 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe from home depot today so i can cut and mock stuff up for dirt cheap without using my metal stock.
What glue holds pvc well?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
poor pics, and th eangle is wrong a little bit because i couldnt hold it up proeprly, but approx location of the turbo. Will be a fun time getting everything to fit..

You must be registered for see images attach

Nice thing with the HX35 is that it can be be clocked in any way you want. Well..alsmot any way. the way I want has the wastegot arm rigth where I want the the compressor outlet to be.

also the floor is tunring out great. I only get 2.5 hours a night to work on it. Tomorrow the rear half will be totally done (and by done i mean tacked in place, all the real welding has to come from underneath, stitch weld, and way more tack welds from the top. Then grind smooth, seam seal everything, and paint.
I hop eto at least have the frame work al done for the front part. Im going to weld everythign up and paint it first regardless if the downpipe clears or not. Rather get the paint on befre cold weather is here for good. Easier to touch up and mod one spot later down the road. Hope to have a good pic for you guys tomorrow. Just..keep in mind its a work truck and not meant to be pretty, just work and not rust!

but i gotta say, LOVE the plasma cutter. I know once this project is done i will sell the smaller unit and buy myself a big guy so i can make some really clean quick cuts even on 1/2" thick steel. One of the best tools purchased. But sometimes you do need the brute power of oxy torches to melt away crap.

ps, holy shet this thread is gunna break 9000 views soon, thanks!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Plasma is the bomb. We've got a setup that'll cut 1-1/2" no problem. 100amp machine hypertherm brand. Wouldn't do without a deal like that in my occupation.

Looking great!!!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup hypertherm is what I will be getting next. I got my little hobart handler 250 before I got my 60 gal compressor, but now that I have most of my stationary shop equipment here I can soon start amassing man machines.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their newest line of plasmas are really sweet. They make a 100 amp/1-1/2" capacity unit that is the size of a small suitcase. I mean you can literally pick it up in one hand and walk across the shop. $4500 plus tho hmmmm....I wish lol

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally, the rear part is all tacked into place. Tomorrow, the floor WILL be done and undercoated, thats a fact.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the seats..if i measured everythgin correctly go just beside the subframe rails. I got some 3/16 bar stock for this and will build little feet for them. The footwell area of the rear passnger will be extended to the sides and connect to the B pillar so its comfortable to sit. This will also create a sort of pocket in the floor which could be useful for storing stuff. Maybe down the road I will make hinged doors that flip up, ffoam pad the isnde and keep flashlights, lighters, batteries small things like that in there.

honestly, I have a feeling the floro will feel less comfotable than stock but.... **** it..no turnbing back now. jsut gotta make it the best that I can..

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOOKS KILLER!
i have to admit,
the first time i saw this thread, i thought..
this dude is ******!
ive done projects like this before and it is not fun at all!
labor intensive to say at the least.
but its coming out great.
be proud chemosabi!

everyone has their own ways of doing things, no way is right or wrong,
when i cut sheet metal, i dont use heat.
cut off wheels , yes there messy,
and an air hammer with a sheet metal ripper bit.

you inspire me to finish my PSD Ranchero

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol I am ******. this project is beating me up. But once the cab is fully done, i got the motor mounts fabbed and can set it in the frame and see everything is OK, i will start to feel good, as its smaller things at that point, fuel., brake lines, wiring, turbo header fab (which seems to be going well with my mock pvc piping. I work on that for aotu 45 min-1 hour in the vening when im finished with the outside work for the day. Probably wont have any heaser stiuff done this weekend as family is over, but the floor will be done for the most part.

i aree, the plasma isnt the best for sheet. at least my plasma-its a small one so you cant go too quick. on large peices it tends to warp them a bit. but i found i actually have to hol the torch about 1/4" hiher than the thedrag cup is set for, and then it cuts the sheet real nice and minimizes the heat exposure time. Big square sections I am going to do qith cut off discs but the smaller intricate peices plasma hands down.

Ps i got a 50 pack of cut off discs for liek 25 bucks off amazon...they are AMAZING. I cut a bunch of 1 : c channel with it and i still have 3/4 of ONE disc left. Never seen one last this long. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828