Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, 3" intercooler piping or would 2.5" be enough?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

pays off to take the time to measure 10x cut once and keep everyhtign square in a jig.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**** me guys... i shoulda just bouht a clean truck from the south. prolly woulda been half the price and 1/20th of the time. (see first comment of this thread lol) I coulda been doing normal people things like working out, watching tv, hiking, RELAXING.
NOPE, killin myself trying to tackle essentially 4 projects in one. TBH the floors not even going to look nice and Im afraid it wont be ergonomic in the footwell. For somereason the front area is just boggling my mind. i probably wasted a total of 4 hours this weekedn just looking at it and scratching my head.

Like laserjock, Im just too damn deep into it to pull out now. Woulda wasted so much time and $$$ if i just chuck what I have at the moment. ehhhh at least i have a nice chassis. Thats whats nice about trucks. If this thing rots out on me in 10 years, Ill just buy a friggin SD cab and drop it on, no fab necessary.
Thanks to the gent whos bulding the mini pete, it looks liek adapting the old idi mounts to new frame wont be that diffuclt after all. but i will byy new mounts because these ones are all cracked.

I got the engine studded and mocked up in the chassis. Kinda dissapointed as i thought I would have worlds of clearance between the firewall and engine but...not so, same as stock, gotta easel in the up and down pipes. At least I can do that stuff with the cab off.

Honestly feels liek almost no progress this weekend even tho i spent two full days outside on it. What I do know is, tomorrow I plan on having all the sheet metal laid in from the driver seat back to the rear wall.
Got to make 4 more stupid braces to seal off the cab mount area, and then, its sheet metal time. That will make me feel alot better about things.

Also, the engine and trans is a friggin bear to wheel around on the engine crane. Im going to take the trans off tomorrow, and wheel it back outside and start pressur ewashing it, cause it is CAKED in crud from the heads down, where i couldnt get to with it in the frame.

I also convinced myself I need to turn my old frame and box into a matching trailer. Its not evne that practical but screw it. I have it, and will be practically free. Will look cool. Or if someone wants to buy my roller ill just sell it to save myself some headache.

Rant out. Mans gotta sleep.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel ya. Stay with it. A small thought. You might be ahead to pick up patch panels for the foot wells. Read what I wrote if you do. Most of the rest of it is flat or semi flat pieces. The footwells have a compound curve to them and they are about $30 each. You could patch it in in straight pieces too. As long as you can get full pedal travel, it shouldn't make a lot of difference.

I have a lot more to do to mine. Every time I look at it, I find another bad spot. I'll patch on it until I get tired of screwing with it. Fill the remaining holes with JB weld and hope it lasts a few years until I figure out if it's what I really want or not.

Anyway, chin up man! Sometimes when you are doing something creative, you just have to stare at it a while before the solution becomes apparent.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also, 3" intercooler piping or would 2.5" be enough?

Use whatever size will result in fewer bends and profile changes. That's what really kills turbo efficiency. A pinched 3" pipe is worse than a gently curved 2.5".

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took a shower last night, relaxed with a book and talked to the gf for a bit-feelin alot better this morning and with renewed vigor to complete the project. Which reminds me..i gotta see why my foxbodys steering rack is leaking. i miss driving that thing. I should look into that..maybe today in between laying the sheet down.
Im sure completing the rear 3/4 of the cab will have me feeling accomplished. I cant wait to finally degrease this engine. God its grimy. I knew valve covers were weeping, the damn oil cooler to block gaskets were leaking even tho i installed new ones. Everything is getting redone with grey RTV. I simply dont trust gaskets these days. The surfaces have to be surgicaly clean and dead level.
Also realized if i want my intake modified with an elbow to fit a silicone coupler on, im going to have to remove it which bummed me out because i take pride in having a factory sealed engine with 340k miles on it!. (not to mention its more time and money), but I think will be worth it in the end to guarantee a leak free setup. Just got to find that size elbow.

also, the gent building the mini pete found a clutvch and solid flywheel kit for like 350 bucks...im almost tempted to get it. my DMF isnt terrible, but at idle it does clatter around a bit. I do need a new friction disc though. but i am still afraid of the solid wheel damaging the trans.. wat to do?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, why waste time relaxing, working out and watching TV?? that crap is overrated!
shes looking good! just keep at it! if i had a dollar for everytime i said "**** this project" i coulda bought one already done.
whats the fun in that? our kind takes pride in the work we accomplish.
only thing id advise is hooking up some c02/argon to that badboy youre running.
when i took that innersheild wire out of my lincolin, it gave me a morale boost that you couldnt believe.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id ove to: but i dont have a truck to bring the bottle home with lolol. Eh, fgor now the flux core will have to do. Aint pretty but works at the moment. reminds me!i need more wire!
last nigth my neighbor came out of his house yellign at me at 8:15 pm to **** this is a residential are, im a idiot, yada yada im calling the town etc.
Mind you all i was doi8ng was welding from 7:15 to 8:15, no cutting, or grinding. it got dark around 730.
so I called the town, and according to them im totally fine to do that on my own truck as long as im quiet before 11. So really..im doing him a favour by being quiet before 9!
hes a sour ass.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep on keepin on man...you'll gitterdun. It is an inspiration to see such a project get built. It helps many by watching 1 or 2.

Floor frame is great your doing fantastic.

Yes some argon co2 would be ideal with plain wire...take a cab if you have to LOL however welding outside in wind...Hmm...sheilded wire works.

How about a small firewall tunnel area mod, that's what I'm planning for pipe clearance. I"ll cut the seam out, and take some sheet metal in a semi circle and cut a small oval in area above the seam and below seam and put in like a large oval semi circle so it clears pipe....Just saying...I can picture this in my mind, I could take and show with a piece of cardboard on my SC if you like with some pics, but wow...it would make HUGE clearance for pipes...

What ever you do, I'm sure you are going to knock it out of the park.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some more pics. not much progress, the sheeting takes a bit of time, but by end of wednesay i will ahv ethe rear 3/4 all done and tacked (still gotta o some stitch welding from underneath u thats once everythign is tacked into place). Front will still be tricky but I has plan for it. If i need ot mod it for downpipe clearance later so be it ill do it, for now i need it done, welded, paint/undercoated.

the headers will be a bit trickier than I though as i need osme short radius 90 deg 1" elbows. Only ones ive found were 20 bucks a pop vs the 5.15 a pop for long raidius. I keep looking.

NP 205 stuff good to go! that jackshaft was 150 with bran new u joints. built to order.
we got: 1350 joints from trans output, 1350 yoke np205 input, 1350 flange front output, 1410 rear output.

man, really wish i coudl weld to cast iron. that would make thes eheaders so much easier.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try McMaster for your elbows. Just a thought... I know I've seen them on there don't remember what the price was.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i could get my buddy to cut up a set of flanges for ya,
he charges like 80 set up fee and 20 a piece.
computerized plasma bed

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
You could start with these:

http://www.idiperformance.com/misc.php

and make something like the PSD setup. Could even use a 7.3 PSD turbo. Just need to fab up a base/pedestal and oil drain. Hmmm, I'm giving myself some ideas...

BTW, the truck is coming together good. Keep up the awesome work!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828