Radiator Install after Hypermax IC Install

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
What a job! When you install a IC from Hypermax you have to cut 3" dia. holes through the rad support and the rad bolt flanges. It make sit very hard to remove the rad. I had to remove the top IC pipe and partially unbolt the IC so I could tilt the IC toward the grille. It was very tight to get out even then. 2 man job.

Before reinstalling the new rad I cutout a lot more from the flanges before I reinstalled it. It slid right in without any problem then.

If you install the Hypermax IC you may want to do more cutting on the rad flange before completeing the job. Saves time and possible damage to a good rad when it has to be removed.

Thought you might want to know.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Good to know man, thanks for posting that up. I will eventually intercool my truck, so its good to hear what works (though I will be using a stock PSD intercooler) ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I though a lot about the Hypermax IC, but I don't know if it will help me. I'm no where near the ceiling for EGT's, and I rarely see over 6 psi. I can get 8-9 with WFO on a hill, but again, rarely.
I'd be nice if Banks had different compressor and/or turbine wheels for these turbos, but they don't. May just need more fuel eh?

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rod on my wastegate is as short as it can be.....no more adjustment left. I could just unplug the thing and crank to fuel up.....if I can. Need to talk to Ken at DPS.

Heath

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this with my truck. I have shortened the w/g rod and it helped but once RPMs come up, boost drops. I think what is happening is the exhaust is overpowering the spring inside the actuator and forcing the w/g open. I want to put a spring from the w/g lever to the bracket to see if it helps out.

tractorman86

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this with my truck. I have shortened the w/g rod and it helped but once RPMs come up, boost drops. I think what is happening is the exhaust is overpowering the spring inside the actuator and forcing the w/g open. I want to put a spring from the w/g lever to the bracket to see if it helps out.

or just a hand throttle cable for the same effect or dumping ALL the boost and mashing the throttle (blow a ricer's window full of smoke):rotflmao :rotflmao

FordGuy100

Reaction score

Mine does this as well. I can be going up a hill, WOT and be at 8.5psi of boost (unloaded), and once I get above 3000rpm's it will drop down to about 6.5psi of boost. I think its just because the IP is defueling as it approaches the govener.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
did you happen to take pics? i'm installing my hypermax set up in a few weeks, pics for reference would be great.
chris

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me understand this, If the wastgate rod is as long as it can get then the gate is open, dumping the exhaust?????????????? The best I have seen so far is 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of boost up a big hill unloaded and fuel screw maxed out.

My turbo is a T3/T4 Garett off a factory 94 IDI.

Jim

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
did you happen to take pics? i'm installing my hypermax set up in a few weeks, pics for reference would be great.
chris

X2 we like pictures!!

If you'll go Here you can see my IC album.

But this is the pic where the rad support is cutout for the IC tubes. If you notice where the 3" dia hole is above and below you can see the rad mount bolts. I cut away ~ 2" of the flange above and below the 3" hole. I didn't rmove anymore from the rad support, only from the flange on the rad.

Attachments

• IC Piping Cutouts.JPG
    IC Piping Cutouts.JPG
    369.9 KB · Views: 11

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That hole is a real issue for us non-A/C equipped early trucks. Our radiators are still where that hole is. Makes finding a decent IC to use difficult.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me understand this, If the wastgate rod is as long as it can get then the gate is open, dumping the exhaust?????????????? The best I have seen so far is 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of boost up a big hill unloaded and fuel screw maxed out.

My turbo is a T3/T4 Garett off a factory 94 IDI.

Jim

I don't know about the ATS/Factory turbo, but on the Banks wastegate, you shorten the rod to increase boost, and lengthen to decrease boost. Jim, that seems like a low number as far as boost goes. Any leaks an the exhaust side?

Heath