pyrometer temps

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
what is the normal temp a pyro should read at idel when engine is at operating temp.

my pyro is behind the 8th cylinder f that matters
You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At idle about 250 - 300, down the road at 60 MPH about 450, unloaded and just cruising. That's what my PSD does.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both my idi's run the same #'s
The 88 banks with a jr moose would blaze the 1200 mark towing with stock intake!
The 93, 093 wont hit 1100* stock! 7 psi max.
Jr moose on order!
Letcha know!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mine idles warmed up barely in the 190 to 200 range. Easy driving it the same. Freeway speeds of 70 + mph I see maybe 450.

gandalf

Reaction score
I think I run right in line with OldBull, maybe just a hair higher. There are so many variables, though, that it's hard to advise the "correct" temp. Add more fuel and the temp goes up. Choke off the air and the temp goes up. Load down the truck and the temp goes up. Lug the engine and the temp goes up. So much of it is understanding your truck and how it reacts to various things.

Keep in mind also that you must watch to upper temp. Aluminum starts to melt at 1250°F. You really don't want the pistons getting soft. I make it a rule not to take mine above 1100°F for more than a minute or so. I try to keep that little cushion, in case my pyro isn't as accurate as it should be.

So, through experience with your specific truck you'll learn what the normal running temps are, and you know what the max should be. Drive accordingly.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only "normal" that's important at is the upper end. My opinion is that 900 sustained is the upper limit for a strong engine, with short spurts to 1150 when honor is on the line... but only for engine in good condition. The engineers from our truck's era used to say that 500 degrees at cruising speed is a sign of optimal efficiency. Seems reasonable since most of them run around there when they are set up well. Mine does. The point Gandalf makes about pyro accuracy is a very, very good one. When you only have one on one side, and considering there can be variances in temp from cylinder to cylinder and bank to bank, you want some safety factor. For that reason his 1100 max is a good one to shoot for... again for engines that are up to it. On an NA engine if you have a clean air filter, timing set right and an unplugged exhaust, you set the fuel rate so it doesn't climb to the designated maximum too quickly under load and smoke too badly. Everything else below that pretty much sorts itself out. I only drove mine NA for a few months in 1987, but it's basically the same for a turbo. I had a 6.2L GM in a Blazer that I ran NA for about 3 years with a pyro and it was REAL easy to get carried away with the fuel and make it smoke like a coal-fired locomotive (for no gain in performance, I might add) and develop terminal EGTs quickly.

truckermark

her names birtha
Reaction score
thanks guys mine seems to be ok then i just wanted to hear what others had experianced. much apreciated!!

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruising on level ground @ 65mph 2k RPM in OD @ 74*F OAT:
575-600*F
Boost 3psi
Idle: 250-300*F

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right around 500 on the interstate, maybe a little less if I stay around 60. Highest Ive seen is close to 1100 pulling a 30' camper through the black hills.

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just put turbo and new ip on truck i cruise at 60 around 650-700 and when pulling and i get on it itll spike 1100 no problem wat do u guys think? i drive on highway and those temps everything gets hot

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems a little warm to me, at least it would be for my truck. If I were you I'd try backing the fuel off a but and see if you can bring it down 150-200 degrees or so.

bj_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some others are suggesting timing i never did time the ip just put it in and it sounded fine and drove it nd watched everything carefully.
before i added a little fuel (2 flats) the temps would shoot up very fast and no smoke seemed like i was leaning it out. i added a little fuel and it seems to be a little better and doesnt climb as fast but still gets up there i also have a slight haze of smoke from the exhaust now im all ears though