Pump replacement

gandalf

Reaction score
I think I have that manual scanned at home, on my desktop system. I'm at my daughter's, though, with no access to the home system. I'll be back there Monday afternoon. Let me know if you'd like me to email a copy to you. If so, send me a PM with your email address.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I appreciate it. I found Big Barts guide, which seems pretty straight forward, however my problem right now is the timing light isn't doing squat.

So I tore apart my brand new timing light, and this is what I found.

You must be registered for see images attach

Whoever assembled the dang thing, the brown wire had been pulled and was shorting out on the solder next to it, the wire bit sticking out of the solder had penetrated the insulation of the brown wire.

As soon as I pulled it loose, light is working again. So here we go tryin to set timing again.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non-timing - is compression good?

Also, if you set it where you think it is “perfect” by feel and exhaust clarity, it is usually about 3-4 degrees retarded.

You guys can always use the scary magnetic pickup if light is broke ;Poke

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Non-timing - is compression good?

Also, if you set it where you think it is “perfect” by feel and exhaust clarity, it is usually about 3-4 degrees retarded.

You guys can always use the scary magnetic pickup if light is broke ;Poke
I tried using the mag pickup as a last resort, it still was a no go. After several attempts at adjustment with the light, I finally got it set to 8.5 ish. It wiggles a little, but it's practically at the line.

And you were right. Install timing was negative 3.5.
Good thing I have bright orange paint pen.

Also, I have yet to check compression on this engine. Original reason for excessive cold smoke was 3 dud glow plugs and I swapped unknown injectors in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230624_150209_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230624_150209_Gallery.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 11

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Conclusion to the story,
I'm sure @Jesus Freak will love to hear, hooked up the samurai to flat tow it with the in laws truck to deliver it back to them. 20 miles one way, mixed driving, absolutely zero smoke. Got it up to 70mph.
Told the in laws to check smoke at cold start up, but between new injectors, pump, new return lines, and all glow plugs fixed, should be resolved now.
Thanks again for everyone who helped, and thanks to everyone whose posted procedures here in the past.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Conclusion to the story,
I'm sure @Jesus Freak will love to hear, hooked up the samurai to flat tow it with the in laws truck to deliver it back to them. 20 miles one way, mixed driving, absolutely zero smoke. Got it up to 70mph.
Told the in laws to check smoke at cold start up, but between new injectors, pump, new return lines, and all glow plugs fixed, should be resolved now.
Thanks again for everyone who helped, and thanks to everyone whose posted procedures here in the past.
Don't you just love a Hallmark happy ending!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online