Pump replacement

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well, due to some unforseen family issues, didn't get around to doing the injection pump and injectors on the in laws truck last weekend.
I'll be doing it this weekend instead. When it's in the 80's and working in the sun.

Replacing the injectors I'm no stranger to.
For rebuilt pumps, do you have to mess with the fuel screw?
And are there any trade tricks that I should know of before tearing into this ****? Last time I did a pump I was highly inexperienced, and it was well over 10 years ago.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel screw depends on the application. If the rig is turbo'd and the pump is a stock rebuild it needs more fuel. If it's a 90cc pump it might be too much for a stock turbo depending on driver's right foot, charge air cooling, downpipe, etc.

As for the pump, DON'T take off the IP gear housing like so much literature advises to do. Just take off the access cover and unbolt the 3 bolts that hold the IP to the gear. I think they are triple square(12-point) 10mm but don't quote me on that.
I like to take off all the lines together rather than one at a time. First injectors, then you could actually take the whole pump off like that if you want and then finish on the bench. If you don't have a special wrench this is the best way to take it off. But without the wrench you may have to put them back on one at a time once the new pump is installed. You can install the lines onto the new pump on bench, but you can't tighten them down until the injector side is installed and you have your timing marks a little towards the passenger side. Then snug everything down and check timing.

Oh and don't forget the line clamps! They will eventually vibrate enough to crack a line without them. I have that t-shirt!

As you know, timing new sticks and pump is going to be totally different than the last pump so any legacy pump timing marks are irrelevant.

Many turbo owners like 6° BTDC timing vs 8° for N/A.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my ip last night only thing special I got for ya is Remove #8 hardline had to bend it pretty good to get past the ac lines

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'll read that article for sure.
It is a stock N/A and the pump I ordered was for a N/A engine, so sounds like all I've got to set is timing. Plus a bunch of part R&R

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just R&R and set timing. Install all lines on pump prior. Bend them as needed to fit. NA is a breeze. Turbo you have to pull the compressor off depending on the size to clear the lines.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Still waiting for the truck to be dropped off. Supposedly it'll be here at 7am tomorrow morning. But it was also supposed to be here last Friday. So we'll see.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Still waiting for the truck to be dropped off. Supposedly it'll be here at 7am tomorrow morning. But it was also supposed to be here last Friday. So we'll see.
So apparently there's no hurry until you get it. Then it needs to be done yesterday. Right?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So apparently there's no hurry until you get it. Then it needs to be done yesterday. Right?
Essentially, yeah. But it's not because the in laws need it, but because I want it out of my driveway

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Alright. Here we go...

Attachments

• 20230624_085525.jpg
    20230624_085525.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 19

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well everyone... What do I do.

Attachments

• 20230624_094711.jpg
    20230624_094711.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 23

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
For future reference... Very good vice grips and a prybar for leverage to pull it straight out. I didn't want to pull the head.

Attachments

• 20230624_100328.jpg
    20230624_100328.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 27

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well I'm over here pulling my hair out. Trying to use this dang DTI timing tool, but the dang light isn't flashing! And insult to injury I can't find the manual.

Still smokes heavily when revving up in neutral. Doesn't smell of coolant, but I'm sure timing is still off.

Pump and injectors are all rebuilt, all glow plugs tested good. What am I missing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7