project: watch out Kentuckians

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, that is a lot of contact. Not positive as to why.
That said, yes , from now on comp 910 springs are required. Shim to 1.800 installed height is what I do.
The reason is that with boost and high miles old ,weak, stock springs are causing contact on STOCK engines. I just looked at one tuesday. Only for sure is that the springs are weak.
Valve recession needs to be closer to the deep side if at all possible.
High oil pressure when cold with excess rpm will cause contact.
When you get it together if its too close retard the cam 1 tooth, that will open up clearances, doesnt hurt cam performance.
IP gear gets timed to crank. I am getting a procedure to post with all purchases.
I also have a new grind that will help, it is a little less duration to make the event later after TDC.

thanks for the reply.

with what you said, I will get a set of the comp springs. what direction do I turn the cam to retard it? would i use clay on the piston to check for clearance?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Strangely enough I didn't take pics of the wires I cut out. They were replaced with this.

You must be registered for see images attach

This panel has 5 relays for auxiliaries and five fuses for the fusible link replacements. I stuck 20 amp fuses in it except the hazard power where I stuck a 15 I think. I popped the main power one last night on accident. My key on power for the GP controller was off (didn't want to heat the glow plugs every time I tested something) and got into a ground. I'm not too worried about draws on these because I took a lot of the loads off theses wires when I redid things with relays.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great thread Elijah! Many comments to make, but only time for one. I have a solution for those with Typ4 cams and contact issues. We now have available a head spacer that is available in .010 and .012 thicknesses. The local truck puller that I sponsor has successfully tested the .010 spacer between 2 head gaskets as a successful method of decompression in order to run higher fuel and larger turbos. The spacer can also be used naked against the block with just one head gasket on top. We suggest a liberal coating of India ink between the two. As one would expect, we call these Moose Spacers and they are $75 each. Let me know if you want a set, as I don't stock them but can get them made in a weeks time.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great thread Elijah! Many comments to make, but only time for one. I have a solution for those with Typ4 cams and contact issues. We now have available a head spacer that is available in .010 and .012 thicknesses. The local truck puller that I sponsor has successfully tested the .010 spacer between 2 head gaskets as a successful method of decompression in order to run higher fuel and larger turbos. The spacer can also be used naked against the block with just one head gasket on top. We suggest a liberal coating of India ink between the two. As one would expect, we call these Moose Spacers and they are $75 each. Let me know if you want a set, as I don't stock them but can get them made in a weeks time.

Could these be used on a stock motor without a cam swap with the same results?

Sorry for the thread jack!

Thanks

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could these be used on a stock motor without a cam swap with the same results?

Sorry for the thread jack!

Thanks

I talked to Mel yesterday and from what I gathered, yes they could be used on a stock motor. they haven't been used on a street motor yet but I would think they would hold up fine.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Start a bility would be my only concern. But it would drop the compression to ?20:1? Shouldnt be too much of a hit.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't be any worse than running the decompressed Pistons I wouldn't think. If the engine is otherwise healthy it should start okay I would think.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 0.010 reduced compression height pistons on my 6.9. However, my decks were machined 0.007 on the block, so I'm roughly only 0.003 less compression height than stock and it starts very much like a stock internal IDI.

I may have sweet little kisses from the valves on my pistons as well. Don't know. Certainly never heard anything that sounded like that when using the 6.9. I run it pretty dang hard too. When hauling, I rarely see less than 2000RPM. Most of the time I'm running closer to 2500. I would suspect if there has been piston contact, it hasn't compromised the integrity of the pistons or I'd have blown her up by now. I have Comp 910 springs in the heads so that may be saving me from these issues. I'm not pulling the 6.9 anytime soon to find out either. LOL

Heath

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
so help a dumb guy out here.
What would the compression numbers be if:
  1. Totally Stock
  2. Moose Spacer + Single Head Gasket
  3. Moose Spacer + Two Head Gaskets
  4. Reduced Compression Pistons
  5. Reduced Compression Pistons + Moose Spacer + Single Head Gasket
  6. Reduced Compression Pistons + Moose Spacer + Two Head Gaskets

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any videos or specs on that pulling truck? I always get a kick out of watching idi's sled pull.

so help a dumb guy out here.
What would the compression numbers be if:
  1. Totally Stock
  2. Moose Spacer + Single Head Gasket
  3. Moose Spacer + Two Head Gaskets
  4. Reduced Compression Pistons
  5. Reduced Compression Pistons + Moose Spacer + Single Head Gasket
  6. Reduced Compression Pistons + Moose Spacer + Two Head Gaskets

I'd like to see these numbers too.

You guys think they would be more likely to leak only using one gasket? I've never heard of the India ink mel mentioned. These seam like a great idea though. I've always worried about what I'd do if my heads needed milled and block decked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been idle this whole week, just busy.

I have decided to go a different route with the engine dilemma. a few years ago I bought a 93-94 IDI motor with serp belts to put on my first motor. well when I saw the issue with mine I dug the other motor out from storage and really began to look it over. come to find out it is in better shape then mine is. the inside is cleaner, the bores look a lot better and seems to have little wear on all other parts I can see.

the part I am worried about is, I was told it runs but really never seen it run and am unsure of the real mileage. so I am taking a chance on this one.

the main reason I am going this route is the first trip will be 1,000 miles and im not comfortable with the valve contact on the old motor and since this one has the stock cam I wont have that problem.

so the stuff I have gotten done, the heater box was replaced with one from a 97 and has a new evap core and a/c drier. I also adjusted the blend door to favor the a/c function for now.

most of the wiring is done on the truck side so that's off the list. I took the torque converter out to be rebuilt and I got it with a billet front plate and full roller baring's on the inside. it also has a lower stall so I have that firms its operation up a bit.

for now I will be chugging along on the motor to finish that up and get it in the truck. pictures to come.....

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well il try to catch yall up on some pictures from where I left off....

for all you fab guys here are some exhaust pictures.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
continued....

the last picture is of it complete. I have decided to get rid of the stacks completely and just run the side pipes. I think it looks good and the bed will be soot free, besides the low rider on the side of me.LOL

I still have to do the other side but I have been getting some other things done in the mean time.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That should sound good.
Is that orange piece a hanger?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

yes. there compression grommets generally used for mounting small compressors and such. I didn't really want that color but it matched the hardness ratings for the other ones I used.

I didn't want a visible hanger or the traditional style. there are two more larger black ones on the back pipe. it is pretty rugged but I just hope I don't get too much vibration transfer.