project: watch out Kentuckians

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I start the truck in the morning it stays at 5-6 psi. after a little driving it slowly starts to go lower and lower, and after diving on the highway it will read maybe 1 psi. I did put on a new lift pump but not sure if it might be something else. it has never run out of fuel or began to starve of fuel. I just don't want to have an issue on a long drive.
It may just be a matter of thinner fuel when hot, and more fuel going out the return. Quite a bit goes out the IP return line, getting pulled through it by the vane pump in the IP.

As long as it stays positive, you should be fine - especially at higher RPMs, the IP will pull whatever fuel it needs, and quite a bit of that ends up going out the return.
If you do get negative pressure... check the fuel pump, filter, and possibly the fuel pickups.
If you do get a partial clog(and restricted fuel, without air), you'll notice a lack of power but no stumbling. Also no smoke. Just like you have your pedal at 1/4 throttle instead of floored.
It's only when you start sucking air in that you get stumbling.
I'd measure underhood temp, put any slow-reacting thermometer under and drive it around.

Why not go with a simple thermometer, one of those cheap digital ones with a 5' cord to the sensor. Just run the cord out the window(or through the door seal) and under the hood.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to run out of fuel. I can always get full boost so I have fuel. I just wasn't sure if that was normal.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of gauge are you running? Remember my debacle with the fluid filled gauge?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of gauge are you running? Remember my debacle with the fluid filled gauge?

yes, I have been thinking about that. its a redhorse liquid filled gauge. it seems to be doing better but haven't tried cooling it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86