project: watch out Kentuckians

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here was some of yesterdays project and some of today...

swapping in OBS heater controls. it fit in almost perfect with little mods.

You must be registered for see images attach

all I had to was drill some holes in the plastic and it is in there good.

I used 3/16'' brake line to connect the vacuum hoses. they are all the same color so I assume the functions will be the same. the gray and brown plugs will need to be swapped but the wires all look the same so I don't think it will be difficult.

the only question I have is on the red plug. does anyone know its function? it plugs in with the vacuum plug but the way the switch operates seems to be different on the OBS. the only thing I can think it does would be turn the a/c on?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nice.
Is the other odd plug for the fan itself?
I don't have a diagram handy.
Looks like purple/white, brown/orange, and two brown/white?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gray plug is for the fan control.

On the red plug the two brown wires connect together. I tried to trace them in the OBS harness but they go all over the place.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the OBS control swap. Please do a good write up when you get it all sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do...

As of now all I have done is the blend door cable, vacuum hoses and mounting the panel. The systems operate very similar so I hope it goes smoothly.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does any one know how to get the dowel pin out of the block that aligns the trans adapter plate?

a torch and vice grips is all I can think of. for some reason the current motor doesn't have them.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't heat the pin. That will make it larger and impossible to remove. Can you get to the back of the pin? If you can beat it out. If not just use vice grips and wiggle it out.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant heat the block. there is no way to get to the back of the pin. I tried vice grips but I think the pin is hardened because they didn't bite in much.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me, id go find other dowel pins. Probably easier and a lot less headache. Can't be that expensive. Measure them and grab a fresh pair. I'd be shocked if like NAPA didnt have them.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got two pins on order. They were only a few bucks.

The next thing I'm doing is working on getting the oil feed line for the turbo. This engine has 1/4" oil ports so I was going to run 6 an hose.

I have been looking at different types of hoses but not sure what temp range I need. How hot does the oil get?

Any suggestions are welcome.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need the big hose. You have to run an oil feed restrictor anyway so no need to go to the trouble. I picked up an oil feed line kit for a few bucks on Amazon. -4 is plenty large.

Here is the link to the one I bought.

Upgr8 36" 1/8 NPT 4AN Stainless Steel Braided Turbo Oil Feed Line (90 Degree Fitting) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TP57ZAO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bPw9yb7S2GV2K

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Search for oil restrictor and gt4088r. It's say search 3788r but it rarely shows up and I believe it's the same center section. Garret has an installation guide I think. I may have it. Let me look around.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok got ya. I didn't want to make it all 1/4" fittings or 3/8" hose because it would get bulky.

Do I have to use steel braided line?