project: watch out Kentuckians

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost got a used gt3788r out of cali, but the guy ended up selling it locally as I was talking to him about it. The price was in my budget too, ugh. Well I guess I still gotta keep saving and get one from mel, haha! I'll probably do the intercooler portion first though.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines the green. Yours is the blue I think. The upside is that mine should spoil faster. Down side is it may choke off on the high side.

It will be interesting to see how the smaller turbine housing behaves. I can tell ya the larger turbine version builds boost quickly.....
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Heath

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the custom blow off valve.;PokeLOL

that's a good sounding turbo. was that wide open throttle?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Yeah, blew the boot off and my pipe was eaten alive by the power steering pump pulley.

Fourth gear, empty truck, rolling down the road, 1500 to 2500 RPM, if I remember correctly....... may have blown at 2000 or 2200. It's been a while since I made that little vid.

Heath

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the smaller turbine housing behaves. I can tell ya the larger turbine version builds boost quickly.....
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Heath
:Drool

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could here my turbo spool that clean and loud! Mine sounds very angry when it boost that high lol

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to round up some engine seals but would like some input.

I wasn't impressed with the felpro rear main seal and it seems both are leaking. I was going to get both the front and rear crank seal from motorcraft but it concerns me they might be old and fail sooner. opinions?

I think I will stick with the felpro HG for now, unless there is a better option. should I punch the holes out for the extra cooling passages that the 6.9 had? or can I just use 6.9 gaskets?

I was just going to get a valley pan from the parts store.

I am going to use a different/better rtv to try and eliminate any leaks for a while.

any other suggestions on gaskets or seals would be appreciated.

this is the stuff I plan to use. I have tried it on a few things here and there and it seems to be pretty good.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had good success with VR head gaskets and valley pans.

Permatex copper RTV is good stuff.

Motorcraft front and rear main seals (rear with repair sleeve). Both leak a little, just like every brand main seals I've tried.

Heath

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kit that came with my engine was mostly VR stuff. With zero miles so far, I don't see any leaks. LOL

Seemed decent when I installed.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always loved the motorcraft rtv they sell in a small calking tube. It works very well. We just did my friend Jon's truck with 6.9 head gaskets on his 7.3 and punched out the corner plugs. We are working on putting it in now so we'll see how well it works soon.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've found the gaskets are the same except the holes in the corners. We used a 6.9 head gasket since it had the rubber grommets in the corners where we opened up the passages. Our though was that would seal better than drilling a hole through a 7.3 gasket.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had some progress but not as much as I would like. I am getting the A/C evacuated tomorrow so I can really start to tare it down.

so far I took the stacks off, mounted the CB antenna and coax cable. I did some testing of the ramp I am making to get the bikes on the truck. the last thing I did was do a quick fit of the intercooler on the engine.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here are the other pictures.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you gonna hood mount the IC? That could be really cool with some flex pipe and a big ole scoop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online