Project Stress Test

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak as I do understand where you're coming from on the somewhat protected engine because of the vehicle choice, I was also involved in our local demos back in the day.

When it comes to a derby you have to decide upfront if you're in it to preserve the car and waste money. Or in it to win at all costs and possibly make enough from the winnings to cover about half of what you put into it. (Covering even that much of the cost is based on using the sbc platform which can be picked up at little to no cost)

James
If he really wanted to win, he'd get geo metros and invest in a bigger output alternators so he could power a big sound system. Then he could drive circles around the box Chevys with 350s blasting "yakity sax" by Boots Randolph.

With a NA IDI and a C6, it's gonna be.......SLOW RIDE..... TAKE IT EASY......

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all honesty I think that the engine weigh is going to quickly make the car immobile after the front tires blow and the steering gets torn up, essentially being an anchor on the front with no weight for the rear to be able to move it.

That's what I see happening.

James

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me and I had the time and money...

...I would build an engine and transaxle 'module' that could be welded in and then cut out of each car...have the engine behind the driver like a Pantera...have the cooling system in the 'module' and install the works in whatever car he can wrap around it...after the event...cut the 'module' out and weld it into the next donor car...

That way you keep running because the cooling system is protected and you have traction because the weight is near the rear, driving wheels...with a locking unit in the final drive...

Almost no chance of fire with the diesel fuel...

I wish that he would use something that is less valuable...like a 6.2 gmc...and he could hook that up to an Eldorado or Toronado transaxle...

I can dream, can't I...?

Oh, yeah...it would have a shock-resistant cupholder...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me and I had the time and money...

...I would build an engine and transaxle 'module' that could be welded in and then cut out of each car...have the engine behind the driver like a Pantera...have the cooling system in the 'module' and install the works in whatever car he can wrap around it...after the event...cut the 'module' out and weld it into the next donor car...

That way you keep running because the cooling system is protected and you have traction because the weight is near the rear, driving wheels...with a locking unit in the final drive...

Almost no chance of fire with the diesel fuel...

I wish that he would use something that is less valuable...like a 6.2 gmc...and he could hook that up to an Eldorado or Toronado transaxle...

I can dream, can't I...?

Oh, yeah...it would have a shock-resistant cupholder...
5.7 Oldsmobile should bolt right up, the problem will be getting it to run before the event. Definitely a heavy cupholder.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrong. If Kelly Bundy couldn't even remember who scored four touchdowns in one game while playing for Polk High, then I don't stand a chance! :joker:
What's funny is that that is one of the few episodes I can remember. But she had crammed her head with all sorts of other useless facts, she would probably know that Boots Randolph did yakity sax....... and now oil burners.nt does too.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking as someone that is dedicated and appreciates this engine I respect the people that its valuable to but it’s really not a valuable engine big picture. These are couple hundred dollar engines before I refresh and upgrade them.

They are NA block 7.3s that often instead of getting scrapped are going to bring awareness to IDIs for people that maybe never heard of one, will be testing different things and I know it’s likely going to fail but I like trying something different and no one is using IDI or diesel cars.

Even if it was valuable, I’d still use it because for various reasons I like this engine. There’s people running $20k to $50k derby engines.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking as someone that is dedicated and appreciates this engine I respect the people that its valuable to but it’s really not a valuable engine big picture. These are couple hundred dollar engines before I refresh and upgrade them.

They are NA block 7.3s that often instead of getting scrapped are going to bring awareness to IDIs for people that maybe never heard of one, will be testing different things and I know it’s likely going to fail but I like trying something different and no one is using IDI or diesel cars.

Even if it was valuable, I’d still use it because for various reasons I like this engine. There’s people running $20k to $50k derby engines.
I respect that.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as buying these engines, like hacked89 said, they're a dime a dozen. I wholeheartedly agree and would love to see IDIs enter the derby/Hooptie/redneck rally world.