Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been cleaning garage and in the process trying make lists and bolt things on when they get in my way.

I bolted the stuff onto the core support and that let me bolt the fenders on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pass side is outstanding. I really couldn't ask for better. The gap is better than the picture shows for some reason.

The drivers side:

Also look decent except I am beginning to think the door itself is tweaked.

If you look,the top is in, the middle is out, and the bottom is about right. The fender seems to fit the cab okay but it's not fitting the profile of the door. Not sure what the deal there is. As of now, I'll probably try to adjust the door a little and see what I can do with it.

The main reason to go ahead and hang the fenders was to build the battery tray. Well, my initial plan is not going to work. That I know. My backup plan looks tenuous as well. I really wanted to relocate the drivers side battery and use that space for a cold air intake. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Holy crap, it kinda looks like a truck again. Too bad I have to blow it all apart again. Need to hurry. Cold weather is coming.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I put the 96 doors on my 87, I actually had to bend the top of the door out about a good 3/8" for it to sit perfect.
it bends fairly easily, I was surprised.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering exactly that. I thought about putting a block of wood in it and seeing if I could work it out. It's probably about 3/8" in if I had to guess.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much better now. I don't know how far I bent the top of the door out, but it was a bunch. Could honestly still come more. If you watch the door shell move, I almost think it's a wear issue. The inner and outter shells slide past each other. Maybe it's a result of slamming the door. I don't know.

I pulled it out, then moved the door in at the hinge and pulled the top out again to clear at the top again.

It's not perfect but it's not bad for an old truck. I have been trying to get a first start together but I think I'm going to plug all the holes and get the body work done. I still am not sure what I'm going to do about the battery trays. Coolant filter has me bound up now. I'm not changing it now so I may just end up going back stockish.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know right?? It's been so long, I forgot what it's supposed to look like.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the other direction.

Think I'll hang the tcase to get it out of my way.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
How did you bend out the door? Did you just leverage it out from the cab? My doors actually slightly rub at the very top front of the window section. Wondering if I could do something similar to try to correct it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a good story but honestly, I shut the door and grabbed it and pulled. One hand on the A pilar, one on the door. Tried a block of wood but I had better luck by hand. Like Brian said, you'd be surprised how easy it bends.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with door fitment. Bought 95 OBS doors & door panels from salvage yard. The salvage yard truck was clearly smashed in the frontend however the doors "appeared" perfect. When mounted on my 87 cab, they were clearly bowed out at the top. Not sure if this was due to the crash or the eight year age difference??? The body shop guys said "no problem", with the wing windows removed they're easily bent. OBS door panel still needed to be "manipulated" on passenger side because it slightly hit the brick dash. Not sure if you're using OBS door panels however power window wiring was another issue.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the OBS I bought was in pristine condition. and all 4 needed to be worked like this.
im no expert, but I do believe there is slight differences when using OBS doors with a brick nose body n fenders.
I also tried blocks, but it worked better by hand. use baby steps!
AND WHEN BENDING THESE, DO IT WITH THE WINDOW DOWN!
just in case.

I also had the complete OBS 4 door electrical harness which made things a bit easier, after I deciphered the keyless entry system.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are those aftermarket fenders? Sometimes the upper part is not formed quite right. When manipulating the door shell don't move the shell and skin out too much or it will require quite a lot of filler on the door skin to hide the movement of the door shell.. You might lay a straight edge on the skin from the front edge reward and see if there is any gap about an inch or so from the front edge. It looks ok in the photo but new paint will tell the story. Looking good by the way

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also continue to have some difficulty maintaining a seal around passenger side door. Air leaks are annoying @ highway speed.