Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well not much to show. Stainless hardware kit is backordered. [emoji35]

Trans has a couple coats of light ford grey on it. Should show leaks nicely.

You must be registered for see images attach

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
ZF came out really nice Mike. Man just when I think you've run out of ways to make me envious!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually went to install it tonight and couldn't do it. I rolled it up onto the trans jack and it looked terrible. Looked like my 4 yr old had painted it. So I hit it again. I think it's a lot better this time.

Meanwhile, I sorted out the rest of the front fender mounts. I think I have everything I need to mount them now once these get paint.

I didn't go crazy with blasting them because they were pretty decent. Just dirty. More or less knocked the dirt and loose paint off and called it good.

Hardware kit is still backordered. [emoji35][emoji35]

I may have to paint the tcase now. It looks terrible next to the transmission.

LOL

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't post any pics of the Tcase. We'll never know you slacked off! ;Sweet

Looking great as always! Keep after it your getting close to having a pickup that drives and looks like a pickup!

Jeremy

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your going to want to put insurance coverage on it for a set value, like i do with my '68 bird, through Hagerty.good luck finding someone do that with this era truck though.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your going to want to put insurance coverage on it for a set value, like i do with my '68 bird, through Hagerty.good luck finding someone do that with this era truck though.

This is one of my greatest fears actually. I don't know what exactly I'm going to do yet but I worry a lot about having someone total it for me with a bent fender because the book value is basically nothing. I clearly have a lot more than nothing invested in it. I know I'll never get all my money back out of it, but it would be nice to not get completely screwed. Hopefully I got my one oops out of my system now and I'll be good for another decade.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trucks insured through Hagerty for a set value. Check the limitations though.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have full coverage on the 87.
im waiting to get the bed done,
then im going to get it appraised.
insurance companys don't give 2 ***** about your word. or receipts.
they want to know from a "professional" what your vehicle is worth.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try to get an independant to apraise your truck and take that to your insurance as a bargaining chip, it's like alot of people do with their beloved hotrod... they paint it... then they park it cookoo

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good news is I got the trans mated up this evening. The bad news is it has to come back out because I'm an idiot and didn't put the stupid clutch fork in. So I'll have to slide it back to get that taken care of. I remembered the throw out bearing at least.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, clutch fork comes tomorrow. In the mean time I painted these with a little enamel with hardener.

While I was waiting for the paint to flash, the tcase was staring at me.... Just laying in the floor all pitiful like. I couldn't take it. So I pulled out the laquer thinner and wiped it up a bit and this happened.

You would be amazed what rustoleum self etch primer will stick to...I know I am. Yeah, adhesion probably sucks but it looks a lot better.

At least it will sorta match.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Looking good as always Mike. Nice work. Assuming your speedo is driven by the transfer case, and assuming you haven't already. One thing you might consider while you have the tcase on the floor is to pop the tail housing off and inspect the speedo drive gear. Those little plastic monsters get chewed up over time. 15 minute job or so.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I was actually thinking about that. I actually need to change the gear because I swapped gears. I need to go find a tutorial on this. I'm not sure what gear I need.