Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After mowing a lot of grass tonight, I fit my gauge pod to the dash.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's not perfect but it's not too bad. I've been trying to figure out how to mount it securely without driving screws into the dash. So this is what I came up with.

Thin piece of steel fit into the bottom. Then I drilled and tapped the holes for the 10-32 black screws that I cut down to just through the metal. There is still a lip around there so I think a couple pieces of good double sided tape and I'll be in business. Take screws out and I can get to the inside then screw it back down. I think it will pull down tight.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Going to leave it carbon fiber or paint it?

You tall guys and being able to see over extra stuff mounted above the gauge cluster cookoo:Thumbs Up

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably going to stay carbon fiber for now. I really am not in love with it. I consider it a place holder until I decide what I'm going to do. The big problem for me is the steering wheel is in the way. I may end up going to a pilar pod before it's over. But for now, I just need to get it functional. I think I saw 10 weeks to the rally??

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well tonight I worked on getting gauges. First up finishing the dash pod.

Double sided tape and some contouring gave me this.

I wired up and pulled the tubing etc for the boost and pyro. Here's the boost tie in.

Pulled it all in and loomed it up.

And finished product.

Even got lights.

That's not too bad.

So I started working on the overhead. Whole lotta crimp connectors later...

Ready to connectorize the truck side and she'll be ready to install once the right headliner material shows up.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good Mike. Looks like your pretty good at the wiring stuff.

I like where I put my gauges,(to the right of yours). There easy to look at and nothing can get in the way of them. It's a similar design as yours but all individual pods.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I spent doing a lot of little things.

Bolted the RABS brain back in.

Cleaned all the extra stuff out of the cab.

Clearanced the headliner for the switches to clear in the overhead.

Test drove the truck a bit and figured out I may have an issue with power steering. May just be air.

I've discovered the factory oil pressure gauge is reading stupid. I never trust it but it reads the same unplugged from the sender and grounded so I think it's *****'d. I'll have the other gauge in the overhead soon.

Tightened up the oil lines on the turbo to try and do away with a slight oil leak.

Swept the garage out.

Found the seatbelts for the rear and the trim around the headlight and wiper switch. I've been looking for that stuff for a month. I had a moment of clarity somehow and realized I had stuck that stuff in the center console "so I wouldn't loose them". LOL
Sure enough.

Got the rivets to attach the seatbelt mounts.

I took some noise measurements. Wow. It's loud right now. Even with the exhaust it's 83 db once it comes off the cold advance. Sitting outside with hood closed. It's 90 db at 1500 rpm and 98 at 2000. That's loud. That's also, no glass, door seals, and the trans tunnel is open along with the 4wd lever. Let's hope I can get it down to manageable.

Working on a to do list now.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you get all the holes covered and some insulation down it will get a lot quieter.

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
I think all those gauges would look nice blacked out...take some acrylic paint to them

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

EDIT: just to the boost I guess

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your talking about inside the cab being loud, I know even with just my shifter boot broken it was loud with all carpet inside and such, changed boot out and "insulated" the inside of it it became much much quieter inside, all wholes in fire wall sealed up nice with grommets and everything makes a huge difference in cab noise as well

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think all those gauges would look nice blacked out...take some acrylic paint to them

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

EDIT: just to the boost I guess

Some day it will get electronic display so I'm not going to sweat the mixed gauges for now.

The only thing that happened today was the correct headliner material arrived. Probably on hold until Wednesday night.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took some noise measurements. Wow. It's loud right now. Even with the exhaust it's 83 db once it comes off the cold advance. Sitting outside with hood closed. It's 90 db at 1500 rpm and 98 at 2000. That's loud. That's also, no glass, door seals, and the trans tunnel is open along with the 4wd lever. Let's hope I can get it down to manageable.
Wait till that turbo spools up with a load on the truck. Hope you like the sound of a turbo. These ball bearing Garretts whistle like construction workers at a lingerie model.

Heath

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude you are killing me.

Heath, did you put an oil restrictor on your turbo? Elijah and I have had discussions back and forth. Garrett says use one but specs 45 psi at full rpm. I don't think my truck makes much more than that at full rpm so I'm on the fence. I'm trying to get my gauge hooked back up. I think I used an 0.065" restrictor. Last thing I want to do is starve it. Any thoughts?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah. I just bolted the Banks oil block to the center section and hooked the old banks oil feed line to it. You're correct in that our rigs don't put out lots of oil pressure. I know what pressure my turbo is seeing because I "T'ed" the feed line and have my oil pressure gauge hooked up there as well. So my oil feed line supplies the turbo and the sender for the pressure gauge. Never gets above 50psi.

Don't wanna starve it for sure, but I don't think you'd need the restrictor.

Now, on another application with significantly higher oil pressures, then you do need to isolate the turbo. Like a pulling tractor. You need really high oil pressure to keep the crank off the bearings due to insane cylinder pressues. They typically run an external oil pump off the front of the engine to get these high pressures, but use reducers/regulators going to their multiple turbos.

Heath

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im sure if you pulled the plate off you have on it now you could look down to see if you have the oil restrictor. judging by the oil pressure and what Garrett recommends I would think you would be ok to remove the restrictor you have. like said, you don't want to starve the turbo.