Project Big Red

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Autometer pyro gauge I had didnt like having constant power it went out pretty quickly like that, now I have it wired into ignition with no problems for a few years now.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon fairy arrived.

Now that's a muffler.

You must be registered for see images attach

I got the cat delete pipe too.

That made mating up to the down pipe much easier.

Then I stuck some pipe in the muffler to see where things were going.

Looks good there but...

Got a little work to do here to get it out behind the tire and clear the axle and still have room for a spare tire.

Got my brake control in too so hopefully I'm finishing up electrical and exhaust this weekend.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size and type of muffler did you go with? I can see it's straight through so that is good for flow. It looks pretty big though.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the 21471. 4" in and out. It's 36" long I think it says total. Like 27 3/4" barrel size. It's probably 6" in diameter.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not turn out the exhaust right before the axle? Might be a little louder but it will save some space and the trouble

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of looks like the one I got, I believe it's the flow pro ss system for the early psd. 4" in and out, came with the nice clamps too

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really considered picking up that kit. If o hadn't already had the pipe that was a the way I was going. Not sure what you paid for the kit but I'll have less than 200$ from the down pipe back including the spiffy turn down if things go to plan. I wish I could have bought that tail pipe separately for reasonable. Think this muffler is a little longer. It really was going to be about a push by the time you figure in a little extra custom work but I would have ended up with a bunch of 4" exhaust pipe and nothing to do with it if I had bought the kit. The real key was finding the cat delete pipe that let me make the connection to the down pipe and adapt to 4" in one shot.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I paid around 470 cad for it, I probably could of got it cheaper if I ordered it online but I went through are local lordco dealer.

As for the kit, I wouldn't buy it again, install wasn't bad but the ubolt exhaust clamps are garbage, I don't like the 2 piece down pipe, it's 409ss so it does start rusting though you can wipe it off and the tail pipe hits my leaf spring when I jack it up.

I'm redoing the down pipe when I swap chassis, going to buy another vband flange to replace the one I warped going to the turbo, it's a straight shot down so I'm going to us a straight piece of pipe, weld a 90 to it, cut the angle I need, weld on a 3"-4" adapter then a 4" vband flange again and reuse the rest of the kit.

The nice thing with the kit though is you get lots of pipe so for me putting it into the crewcab is easy to just weld the cut off section back on.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I stuck some pipe in the muffler to see where things were going.

If I can make a suggestion.

The further back you place the muffler,the less drone you'll get in the cab.It would be much quieter in your cab,if you slid that BTM back as far as you could to the rear axle.One step more as well,look inside and have the blank spot/resonator towards the tailpipe.At least I seem to recall this is best way to point them.That may be and, is likely far less important than getting the whole works as far back as you can.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have a look at that. I went in this order for ease of assembly. I'd have to weld pipe to the cat delete to push it back (which is doable). I have the other resonator that was on the truck. It's not as straight through. I wonder if there is value in using it as a coupler? Don't think it would hurt flow much. You can almost see through it.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have a look at that. I went in this order for ease of assembly. I'd have to weld pipe to the cat delete to push it back (which is doable). I have the other resonator that was on the truck. It's not as straight through. I wonder if there is value in using it as a coupler? Don't think it would hurt flow much. You can almost see through it.

If you can't see through it though,then EGT's will be higher by adding it in.How much,I dunno but I know with the Big Truck Muffler placed back towards the rear axle,things are really,really nice inside the cab of chip truck and the EGT gauge of little to no concern with a bull moose and intercooler.;Really
Outside plays a tune of even diesel clatter and deep toned exhaust with a hint of turbo whistle that almost compares to the awesomeness of 80's heavy metal.....almost.;)

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hangers came today. I might just do a little weltin here after bit. I don't think the muffler will clear the axle. Not sure about welding hangers to the muffler to use the stock hangers. The factory NA hung from the muffler but it had a band clamp. Don't have one of those for this muffler. Maybe it's worth it.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't mean to put it back over the rear axle.Just back to it as close as you can is all.