Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I think I can weld the hangers to the skinny part of the muffler. Problem is I don't know at what height. The rest of my parts to make the tail pipe will be here by Saturday so I guess I'll start at the back and piece in the middle till I get where I need to go.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are nice but pricy. I bought a set of steel hangers with rubber mounts in a 6 pack. I was going to hit the welds with a lick of high temp paint since it's all aluminized tubing just to slow down the rust.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the exhaust pretty much sorted.

You must be registered for see images attach

Used the factory muffler hanger. I'm going to use the tail pipe hanger too. You can see in the one pic that I cut the rivet out and it's ready for another rubber hanger. I put another hanger in front of the muffler on the extended cat delete pipe. Pushed the muffler back 24" to hang it from the factory muffler mount. Made the tail pipe out of 2 45's and 2 short pieces of pipe out of the muffler. Then added a turn down tip for good measure. Hopefully it sticks out far enough and will let me put the spare tire in there. I can adjust it some if need be later. All the rear parts are clamped.

I'd like to put one more hanger up close to the down pipe. I took the factory hanger off fir the battery box so I may relocate it. Need a couple more rubber hangers. Maybe I'll get a video tomorrow. It sounds really good. Much more tame. With the hood closed you can hear yourself think in the garage now.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And here's the last hanger.

I shot all the welds with high temp engine paint. Maybe that will slow the rust down a touch. Garage cleaning happening. Headliner retrieved. We shall see if I got the energy to work on the console.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight I got the overhead mocked up. Tacked the headliner in with the dome light.

I ordered new headliner material and the carpets today. I'm hoping they will be here by the end of the week. I'll take my extra headliner material and make filler panels to go on the sides to hide the mounts. I ordered some black 10-32 screws to attach it along the sides. I did it a little different than some I've seen but I think it will turn out great. It's simple. I like it. [emoji6]

I'll take more pics of the mounts before I do final install. I still need to pull a couple more wires then I'll connectorize the ends and wire up all the gauges.

Mean while, 56 pounds of sound deadener arrived. Yep. That's what I said. 56 pounds. 72 sq ft.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I set out to run the last of my wires for the gauges and such and got side tracked. I happened upon the test port for the RABS while looking for a wire to tap. Figured what the heck, lets see why the light is on. FYI it is attached to the main harness where it goes through the firewall. It's a plug. So I stuck a jumper on it and touched it to ground with the key on. Low and behold 9 flashes. Open speed sensor. Unplug it and test it. Yep. Open. Coil is probably bad. New one on order. In the mean time back to the matter at hand. I really don't want to cut the main key on wire so I need to either find an alternative or cop out and just tap a fuse. I'd rather put in a port because I imagine I'll need key on power other places. Now I just need to find the right spot.

In other news the speedo cable was unhooked. Fixed that.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike do you have any pictures of the in and out coolant hoses for your turbo? I just got the fittings in but want to see what you came up with.

I would post this in my thread but figured this would be easier.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do. Photobucket wouldn't let me into them as of yesterday. I will check. Basically I did it in AN fittings. The ports on the turbo are metric face seal. I ran 10 AN hose and fittings. I took the supply water off the port on the driver rear head and returned to my manifold with the coolant filter back to the water pump. Make sure you get the angle right on the turbo so it will thermosyphon on shutdown. Let me check and see if I can get to my pictures.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the best I have. The front line here is the water feed and the rear is the return. To get the oil drain pointed the right direction, that's what I had to do. The front is a straight in 10 AN. The rear is a 10 AN with I believe a 90 down and around to the front. It's the closest thing to the firewall but I don't have a good pic. I put a pic of the oil drain in for good measure. It's a cummins oil drain that is just a little longer than the banks. I made an adapter so that it uses the standard CDR grommet into the pan rather than the turbo grommet. I still need to pull the oil restrictor and open it up. Haven't really run it since we had that conversations but a couple minutes to test the exhaust.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I actually got the headliner material tonight but was instantly disappointed. Here is the material I got along with the samples.

Looks like the one on the right. Problem is I ordered the one in the middle. Not real happy there. Why send samples if you are going to screw up the pick? I hope the carpets are right. They come tomorrow.

In the mean time, I pulled the overhead and headliner out to get back on the wiring. I struggled with how to do the hot wire for the gauges and switches. After going over the diagrams I realized there was a key on and acc on wire running among other things power to the wipers. So I pulled the wiper headlight switch out and checked it. Sure enough.

Black with green tracer. Note, if you have wiper delay, it is a module that plugs in line between the non-delay plug and wiper switch. That would make it real easy to add if you wanted to. Anyway, I tapped the wire before the delay module so now I'll have power to accessory switches with truck running or on accessory. I pulled the last strands of wire and then put the wiper switch back in. That's where I'm at for tonight.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
When you did your test drive, did your red head gear seem to be working well? Could you tell if it was returning to center properly? I think i'm about to call them again in the next couple days and request a new one, as mine still won't return to center.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seemed to be fine but I really didn't drive it enough to know for sure.

Tonight I plugged in the speed sensor.

It seems to work now. The abs light went out. I'll call that a win. Carpet arrived. I'm not happy with the way the headliner situation has played out but we will see. I'll reserve judgement for now. That's it tonight. More tomorrow.