Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the name of the game is wiring. Trying to get the wiring sorted so I can tidy it up and get things run into the cab, fix the hole in the floor and then put the dash back.

First things first. The main thing I am changing is doing my version of the headlight relay mod. Rather than putting relays on the drivers side like the kits do, I am putting it all on the passenger side. So I unwrapped the harness which was quite a job. Really nasty dirty. I should have put it in the bath tub for a bath first but I figured that would just leave mud on the inside. But here it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

After a little fishing, I extracted the headlight harness. I came out about a foot from the big round firewall connector and clipped it off. [emoji15]

No turning back now.

The plan is to take this section and flip it so that the tail runs over to my new electrical center. Ill use the wires from the plug as the relay trigger wires. I'll connectorize it such that in emergency, I could pull it and plug it back in factory style.

So I sorted out some random connectors with some help from here and studying my manuals (mostly from here). The last one that had me confounded was a stupid but critical one. It was for the AC compressor, tach and alternator. Since I didn't need the charging wires (already done), I cut that harness down and rewrapped it. It was in good shape except the nasty wire loom. Turned out pretty good.

Need to find some mount tabs or just zip tie it through the holes.

So I am woefully understocked on 2 pin weather pack bodies.

I think I have the info I need to finish the job now I just need to get it done. We'll see how far I can get before I run out of time and material.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things were pretty slow today. My prime work time was screwed up when someone decided to remove a power pole with a little red car. [emoji21]

Aside from getting the AC compressor and belt on which took care of the noise, I've been sketching out and cleaning up wire harness. I am getting ready to pull my extra strands and re-loom it when I realized the turn signal sockets weren't actually black... hit them with windex which had done pretty well on other parts. Nope. So I scratched at them for a while. Took some wax and grease remover (isopropyl alcohol mainly). Little success. I finally decided to get the sonicator out and try it with some soapy water. Laughed at it. I'm running around trying to figure out what to try next. Go to the cabinet. Hmm. What about this stuff.

Okay. Pour some of the water out, add a little of that stuff and wow.

I did take the rubber gasket off just in case.

Can't beat that.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Speaking of coming clean, I have to come clean and admit that I've watched your video in post 1487 just to hear the engine idle way more times than any grown man should! LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, today was primarily about getting the cab ready to put the dash back in.

I think this is the 1991 version of an in cab air filter.

Complete with mud dobber nests. LOL

I'll wash and put it back.

On to the main event. Some jerk cut a big hole in the firewall. So I cleaned the edges up a bit.

Started with some CAD (cardboard aided design) work and ended up with this.

For a small piece of metal there is a LOT going on.

So now to weld those holes all up without warping the crap out of it.

Reasonable success.

Small amount of tweaking but the holes line up.

Little primer and paint later...

In other news, I found the right stuff to re-wrap the wire harness.

TapeCase TC790 Dry Vinyl 1" x 100ft Black (1 Roll) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00823GUP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EyRJybHGRKHXE

This doesn't have the adhesive so it doesn't leave the sticky mess regular electrical tape does. Now I can put it all back together the right way.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I watched a video on a harness wrapper the other day and learned about not using adhesive tape.
Interesting, but makes sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched a video on a harness wrapper the other day and learned about not using adhesive tape.
Interesting, but makes sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I had done a repair (I think it was me...looks like my work) on the parking light pig tails and wrapped the loom back in black electrical tape. What a sticky mess. A lot of people use friction tape but it's the same problem. A loop here and there to hold it together then wrap it in the right stuff to keep crap out should do just dandy. It took me a while to find it. Couldn't come up with the right google search terms. Finally found the right combination.

I can't take credit for the CAD joke. When you've got a few hours to kill, check out these guys:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Huh, link didn't stick the first time.

They are completely nuts but the guy is an amazing fabricator. They are building that project with the intent of only using basic hand tools and things most people have in their garage. Love the grinder tree. If I ever do another big project I will have one of those.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had done a repair (I think it was me...looks like my work) on the parking light pig tails and wrapped the loom back in black electrical tape. What a sticky mess. A lot of people use friction tape but it's the same problem. A loop here and there to hold it together then wrap it in the right stuff to keep crap out should do just dandy. It took me a while to find it. Couldn't come up with the right google search terms. Finally found the right combination.

I can't take credit for the CAD joke. When you've got a few hours to kill, check out these guys:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Huh, link didn't stick the first time.

They are completely nuts but the guy is an amazing fabricator. They are building that project with the intent of only using basic hand tools and things most people have in their garage. Love the grinder tree. If I ever do another big project I will have one of those.
So that was amazing..watched whole set vids

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
No kidding, I am most of the way through the series. Those guys are doing some incredible work with the tools they have.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, after going to a hanging...ER... wedding.... my sum total for the weekend is this.

Need to grab a washer for the bottom right. The hole must have gotten wallered a little and the rivet won't grab the hole in the trans tunnel. [emoji21]

I got in my 2 pin connectors. Somebody screwed up on the pins I bought. Either the seller or me. Need to go back and figure that out but they are the wrong gender. No matter. Got my non-sticky tape. I'm ready to do up the wire harness now I think. I'm going to clean out the ducts in the heater vents as best I can and I'll be ready to put the dash back.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the verdict is seller mistake. Proper pieces shipping in the AM. Said keep the pins they sent. Seller was MJMNational on EBay. I've been buying my weatherpack stuff from him and will continue to do so. They are typically cheaper with reasonable shipping. Gets here pretty quick too.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So with 65 degree weather, had to get something done. So I started in on more wiring. I wrapped up the new old headlight harness.

Some fresh loom and the spiffy non-stick tape did the job.

Here's the stuff. It's literally looks like thin electrical tape with no adhesive.

Here is the connection point for the wires to the headlight relay.

While I was there, I started digging for the tail light wires for the trailer harness. Notice I stuck an extra 4 pin connector in there. I'll make a matching pig tail to go to my trailer light relay box. In the mean time it's plugged together so that the tail lights will work. Now I need to move to the other end and replace the old engine harness connector, add a couple strands to the main harness and I can wrap it all back up.

Inching closer.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and I also noticed my throttle cable should probably be replaced.

[emoji849]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7