Project Big Red

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I would recommend a Ford throttle cable. It was 90 but the 17 parts store cable was to long and not allowing full throttle.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one on my parts truck but I'm not sure if its condition. Need to look at it.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Definitely want an OEM throttle cable. The aftermarket ones are complete garbage. If you get both of them and look at them side-by-side the OEM one is so much better built it's just ridiculous. A new aftermarket one probably wouldn't even be as good as your crappy old OEM one. I would not want to risk the throttle cable sticking and making you crash into another car or a wall.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing I accomplished today was spending money. I ordered a flexible metal oil drain tube $40 and a new oem throttle cable. $90. [emoji21]

Thank you Amazon. Hopefully the return line is long enough. If not amazon returns are awesome.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. So I got my new oil drain and proceeded to rip the turbo off which honestly went better than expected.

You must be registered for see images attach

I left all the lines hooked up so no antifreeze or oil everywhere. I stuck my blank intake cover on and set it right on there. I will be putting a stud in the upper right hole though because I think the chances of me getting a bolt in there are slim and none. I think I have plenty of fuel. 15 minutes of basically idling and everything is nice and sooty.

So here is the drain line.

I like this so much better and it's an off the shelf part. It's the stock drain for a 6.7 cummins. Here it is installed.

Fits like a glove. Plenty of room everywhere. So now I need to take one of my valley pan adapters and turn the inner hole to the right OD for the cummins drain and we are good to go. I can put it back together for hopefully the last time.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
What turbo are yiu running if you dont mind? Also, i really like your intercooler set up. What does that IC fit?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The turbo is a Garrett gt3788r ball bearing water cooled turbo. Contact Mel at conestoga diesel if you are interested. He is putting together a kit utilizing that turbo. I put this together using a Banks sidewinder kit for the exhaust plumbing.

The intercooler is a cxracing universal fit cooler several guys have used. I suspect I may have to trim the grill but I kept the AC condenser. Pipes are another universal kit with a couple odds and ends added on.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
I appreciate that. My 94 engine im rebuilding and installing into my 1990 is a factory ats kit. Did you have to modify much to make the turbo work, or is it a bolt in replacment?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was not a bolt in affair. I don't know about the factory turbo setup but there are upgrade options. R&D has options that I think are mostly bolt in. If you are interested in running this turbo, call Mel. I think he's got a hypermax upgrade and was working on a factory turbo upgrade.

To get it to fit the banks kit and not change the intake manifold, I needed a very custom adapter fro the pedestal, clearance the firewall custom intake hat, and a custom down pipe. If you search for the "introducing Moose Boost" thread, Heath did the install with a modified intake.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
Sounds good. I think ill give him a buzz. Im having the heads done and im doing ARP head studs also, so i will feel better about upgrading for a little extra power

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Hey Mike on that new turbo drain, is it semi-flexible? It's corrugated nature seems to imply that it is. If so I might pick one up myself. My turbo drain has some hacked together funkyness going on that I should prolly sort out.
What is the apprx overall length?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's better.

For the record, you need a 22 mm hole or about 0.86".

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I got it installed.

I straightened it a little more in the grommet after I took the picture. It's way down in there and I couldn't see it well except the picture. This is so much better. I hope it doesn't leak for some stupid reason. It was not a fun job to get it all back together.

Then I started hunting for my old crispy engine harness. Low and behold.

On closer inspection. That's a metripak connector. 4 pin. A size smaller than 280 series I'm using on my relay boxes.

I'll see if I can find one instead of trying to cut up and extract it from the harness and graft it in. Shouldn't be a problem. Probably the same size as my engine harness plug.

Then I started looking at my exhaust brake. It's military surplus for an mrap I believe. It's sized for a dt533. Can anyone tell me what kind of flanges it is. It's not a straight v- band. One side has kind of a cup, the other side a cone. It's a little over 4" to the outside of the flange.