Project 1997 Parts truck

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's actually shapped slightly different.
Probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference between them performance wise. But it looks slightly different.
Now the wicked wheel 2 on the other hand........

But i actually went the other way. I'm running a GTP38 wheel in my obs turbo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
In for a penny...

Well, the 4" down-pipe is not going to fit without more firewall modifications, which I will not be making at this time. Here are two pictures of a 3" down-pipe. It just fits.

After being depressed about the general lack of progress on the project, and being depressed in general this time of year (Seasonal Affective Disorder), and that the 4" down-pipe wasn't going to fit, I figured I would try to massage the firewall a bit more and see If I could get the big pipe in. After some massaging, disconnecting the passenger side up-pipe, and having to drop the transmission cross-member, I managed to get the pipe up into the general area:

You must be registered for see images attach

Taking some measurements, I realized that the up pipe has to move another 3" away from the turbo. :(
That's going to mean cutting and welding. Which means tearing out a least some of the interior. :p

Oh well, cutting and welding it is! I have changed my mind, and the 4" down-pipe is going in.

Warning philosophical crap ahead:

Others on this forum have commented about the general lack of progress or time available to work on the truck, at this family time of year. This is true. We just have to keep things in perspective: time with family is important. Time is the most precious resource. This fact is slowly starting to sink into my thick skull, after losing my step-father to cancer in October. For a lot of us, these trucks are a hobby; something to do in our "spare" LOL time. Family first, hobby second. Time slips away so quickly. The older I get, the faster it goes! I know I will be spending more time with my family. 'Tis the season. :)

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Ready for surgery

Finally got some garage time. Pulled the dashboard out.

Pulled the heater box out.

Got the heat gun out and pulled back the sound deadener. Spent way too much time looking for my scrapers. :mad: I swear there are gremlins in my garage that hide tools. :rolleyes:

Hope my fellow boobs are enjoying the Christmas season!

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Don we now our garage apparel...

Measured twice. Well, more like guesstimeasured...

Scalpel...

As you can see, I still needed to open it up more. Notice the turbo still has to move left about an inch.

Mounted! It is possible to put a 4" down pipe in an OBS ... with a little effort. :rolleyes:

Close up view:

A view from inside. It is still a little tight at the bottom, but I pried it out after the pic.
It looks like there is still enough room to get the heater box back in. Woot! LOL

A couple of views from underneath:

So far, so good. I´ll have to modify the dash brace that mounts where I cut it open, but that´s minor. No complaints from the patient...yet.

fa la la, la la la....

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Nice.
Don't know how you feel about body lifts, but that would help also.

I was leaving the body lift as the last option. This truck is high enough as it is. It´s higher than my Red 1997, and the wife ******* about getting in that!

Reminds me of a sticker I saw: ¨lifted because fat chicks cant jump¨ LOL

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Rivetting

After a number of diversions, I finally got to spend some time with the truck. I little bit of progress was made. Emphasis on little.
I drilled two holes and re-riveted the aluminum heat shield to the cab. I cleaned up the metal that I had cut out on the wire wheel. This will be the filler material when I weld up the hole. Spent a lot of time checking for clearances between the down pipe and its surroundings. It looks like I may need to provide some more clearance for the turbo waste gate control rod.

Attachments

• Rivets_1.jpg
    Rivets_1.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Rivets_2.jpg
    Rivets_2.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 16

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the WW1. Bought it a year or so ago $100, haven't installed it yet, so don't know if it will make any difference. WW2 is $200 +. FTS.

Haven't been following your thread, but read it all the way thru.

Don't know why you went to a 4" down pipe, my 99.5 -- 3.5" is plenty big enough with straight pipe.

Attachments

• DSCN0570.JPG
    DSCN0570.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0572.JPG
    DSCN0572.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Unless you're pushing 500+, you wouldn't notice the difference, but it can't hurt anything.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Unless you're pushing 500+

Well, with the AC injectors in it, with the 4" down pipe, and a BHAF, it is within the realm of possibility...:sly
I think I mentioned propane earlier too. Hmmm, maybe it isn't temporary insanity. LOL
First, I need to get it running.