MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive done a few IDI's and PSD's and cross bread a few lol

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
elephant grey paint

Must have been the elephant grey paint on it that gave it away.

Another issue I had to deal with was the fuel pump. 1997- mechanical, 2003 - electric. I was planning to do an e-fuel on Rusty the red 1997. I love the electric Carrier pump upgrade I did on the antique with the 6.9. My cold starts are now like my warm starts: a couple of cranks and it crackles to life. Starts way better than the PSDs.

Luckily, I picked up a 6.0 Fuel Conditioning Module. The seller had it as a spare, and never had to use it. He had sold the truck already. I like the idea that he never had to use it. :) I'm not familiar with 6.0 fuel pump problems. :dunno Anybody else heard of problems with the 6.0 fuel pumps?

Anyway, I scouted out a place on the frame just ahead of the front tank and FSV.

You must be registered for see images attach

And drilled two holes in the frame. :eek: Forgive me father for I have sinned. :hail I did reuse one factory hole tho.

Mounted:

Steel lines shortened and clamped with high pressure hose clamps:

I picked up the factory pigtail for the pump from the Ford dealership for about $47. Not bad, considering it was from the dealeship. LOL

I still have to do the wiring from the FCM to a relay in the Power Center (fuse box). I have some extra factory relays. The relay slot is even there! Thank you Ford! :)

I'm also going to wire in the Fuel Heater circuit too. In fact, I think for the winter, I will leave the Air Intake Heater in it. I don't plan to be hot-rodding around in the winter. Although it can be a lot of fun, its generally not a good idea. :angel:

That's all for now.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The aih doesn't really help with starting, just another pre-emissons device to help clear up hazing when cold.
Interesting on the fcm. I guess it should flow enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
bbjordan,

I've not had any issues with the HFCM. Mine is original with 157,000 miles on it. Also, that unit has several functions. The HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module) is the primary fuel filter (10 micron), the water separator (The membrane over the filter on the Motorcraft filters), the water in fuel light, the lift pump, and on some the fuel heater. The pump will do 50+ PSI, and can do over 60 in a 6.0 with the "blue spring mod".....

The "nut" in the cap is a 36mm hex...... guess when I figured that out...... and yours is nice and accessible where you put it. On a 4x4 6.0, it is in one of the most inaccessible place possible....

Also, the hex plug at the bottom of the rectangular plate is the water drain. make sure to drain it occasionally. It also helps to use this plug to drain the filter housing of fuel when you are changing filters. The HFCM is good for giving you a fuel bath......

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like it should work fine.
Now if you have a hot tune or bigger injectors, it may not be able to keep up.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
2003 Black Gold edition

Cleaning parts is what I've been doing mostly. That's the problem with old vehicles, everything is all dirty, rusty, or paint chipped and peeling off. So I've been at the varsol tank and then the wire wheel. It's not fun work. I'd rather be bolting up nice new shiny parts. :) But progress has been made. In fact, I was so inspired by IDIoit's powder coated valve covers, that I decided to paint some stuff on my engine.

So without further ado, here is the 2003 Black Gold edition 7.3 PSD.

The before pics:

The valve covers were beat up and had a few dents in them. I hammered them out the best I could. I think it looks pretty good. :)

Thanks for looking.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks killer!
also looks like you have SD intake plentums.

man i need to hurry up with this IDI and start my powerstroke build!
gonna be rebuilding a 97 for my 01/02

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can't tell, but those look like the stamped steel obs covers. Any reason you went with those over the SD ones? (Thicker noise dampening stuffs)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't tell, but those look like the stamped steel obs covers. Any reason you went with those over the SD ones? (Thicker noise dampening stuffs)

when i inspected the heads of the 97 vs the 01, i couldnt tell a difference inbetween the two...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well that's how it's supposed to be. Lol Maybe that was a change in 97 to the newer ones.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Dipstick tube blues.

As far as I know, the valve covers are 2003. They were on the engine when I got it. The sticker was already scraped off so I don't know for sure. They seem the same as the 1997 ones. I didn't know there was a difference. :dunno

Yes, SD intake plenums. The OBS ones look so puny in comparison.

I discovered another difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 PSDs: The dipstick tube angle coming out of the oil pan fixture.
When I got the Gen 2 engine, the dipstick was missing. The dipstick tube was there, but the dipstick was AWOL. No biggie I thought, I have the one out of the Gen 1 I can put in ... until I actually tried to put it in, and it didn't line up. WTH? Upon closer inspection, there are two notches in the dipstick fixture where they line up with a tab in the oil pan. Of course they used a different position for the two generations. :rolleyes:
Sigh...

So I opted to move the fixture. I have read about the dangers of changing the gasket on these fixtures: If you drop the inner piece inside the oil pan you are screwed. You will need to drop the oil pan to fix it...which means pulling the engine. :eek: But, since the engine is already out, the risk for me was minimal.

I had a spare oil pan already off the engine to practice on too. :)

I cleaned up the area around the fixture and gently clamped the needle nose vice grips on. I tied a wire onto the vice grips just in case I dropped it into the oil pan. With my pump pliers I took the retaining nut off. I even went as far as taking the gasket out with a dental pick just to see if it could be done. Piece of cake! After cleaning the gasket, I put it back on and lined up the other notch in the fixture with tab on the oil pan. Spun the nut on and gently tightened it back up. Easy peasy! The dipstick tube fit just like it was supposed to.

There are two more 7.3 PSDs in my fleet that have leaking fixtures. I'll have to do a Tech 101 article on how to change the gasket.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So you just swapped the mounts?
94 and 95 were supposed to be the only plain steel ones. The newer ones should be double layered. Would have to look at the edge and underside to notice any difference. My brothers 96 had them. On the underside will look kinda grainy, iirc.
I just figured if yours were dented, when straightening then it would've separated or something. Lol

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive heard of a difference inbetween the early PSD's to late ones.
supposedly, and this is what ive read, not experienced.
the oil pick up tube switches to the passenger side on the later years.

dont know if that helps ya or not, just throwing that out there.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
79Jasper, mounts? If you mean valve covers, they were definitely double layered. In the before pics, you can see what looks like spot welds too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online