Plow frames (years)

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing some good deals on used plows (that are on dead trucks).
I'm wondering what years the frame might have changed.
For my '87 should I only be looking for 1987-1991 mounts or might other years fit?
Do the diesels have different mounts than the gassers?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have a hard time finding one to fit a diesel. The diesel radiator support hangs down low in the way. I seem to remember trying to buy a new one and could not find anyone that made it for a diesel equipped truck.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I don't really need a plow for it anyway. I was just tossing the idea around since I have seen the old style (non-minute-mount) plows and mounts sell for next-to-nothing. I had that style on an older Dodge and I didn't mind it at all.

I wonder how many people bought brand new IDIs only to find out after that they couldn't put a plow on it?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a plow on mine, but it was modified to fit. Those pesky spring shackles are right in the way also, but of course all the f250/f350's had those. It sure is easier on a f150 with the coils and the clean frame up front.

Most of the older mounts I see on these trucks are the type where they moved the front bumper forward. It looks like you took the bumper off, mounted the plow mount, and then the bumper bolted back onto the plow mount.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I had a plow on mine, but it was modified to fit. Those pesky spring shackles are right in the way also, but of course all the f250/f350's had those. It sure is easier on a f150 with the coils and the clean frame up front.

Most of the older mounts I see on these trucks are the type where they moved the front bumper forward. It looks like you took the bumper off, mounted the plow mount, and then the bumper bolted back onto the plow mount.
That's how the plow on my 87 was as well

Rock

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure we're on the same page...
We're talking about the mount type where the lights and pump and lifter stay on the truck, correct?
Or did they also have "Minute-mount" plows back then?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Not all the IDI's have a tall radiator.... The short/wide one likely clears the plow.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure we're on the same page...
We're talking about the mount type where the lights and pump and lifter stay on the truck, correct?
Or did they also have "Minute-mount" plows back then?
Yes, the lights and the hydraulic unit stayed on the truck. The A-frame is the only thing that came off quickly after you unplugged the hydraulic lines.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Does it dip between the frame rails, or stay above it? The rad support will have a corresponding dip also.

The 'tall' rad is almost square. And should/could use vents in the bumper for cooling air. The 'short' rad is about twice as wide as it is tall.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check it out during daylight.
I think it's closer to square than a rectangle though.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Interesting. I bought an old style plow frame and mounted it to my 94 F250 and now my 94 F-SuperDuty. I believe it is an older fisher speedcaster plow. Absolute pain in the rear to mount, have to lift the nose, unbolt the front leaf spring shackles and shock towers. Plow frame slides in on the outside of the frame and is sandwiched between the shock tower and frame with the 4x 1/2" bolts plus a 5/8" before and after the shock tower. With this style, the electric over hydraulic pump, pistons, and headgear stay on the truck side frame. The plow and A-Frame unlock with a pair of spring loaded pins thru a sort of heavy I-Beam but there is no room for the bumper to stay attached.

It is a chore to mount the frame sections to the truck but its a helluva lot more rugged then the newer style mounts.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
On my 87 Fisher did not make a mount back then for a Diesel I had to modify a gas version that was the type the headgear stayed on the truck. It can be done.
On my 95 they had invented the minute mount and they had them for diesels then.
I had an 88 gasser I built the whole mount like the old style.
Fishers are a choir to mount but are Great plows I liked my first one on the 87 best it had the hydraulic pump that ran off a belt from a double groove power steering pulley. The rest were electric.
If you have a 250 plan on adding a leaf in the front. You also need weight in the bed.
If your not doing commercial plowing a Meyers or Western that you remove the bumper and bolt it back to the plow frame is 75% less work to install and are fine for personal use. Get one with four springs on the plow blade.
92-97 will work but may not be a direct fit but the frames were so similar it could be made to work.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my f250 I used a 7.5ft Meyers. I had aftermarket rims and 35 inch tires, and when the plow was angled it just barely cleared a wide enough path for the truck. But it worked perfect.

That was part of the custom mounting, getting the plow frame low enough on my truck which had a 4 inch lift. If you are contemplating added a plow to any truck, it's imperative that the axis which the plow angles back and forth on be plumb when the plow is down. If there is any sort of angle, when you angle the plow the outside corners of the plow will tend to dig in to the road. This is not that noticeable on a dirt or gravel road, but when trying to clean a parking lot, when the corner hits the pavement it will hold the rest of the plow off the ground and it will not clean all the snow off.