Performance engine parts

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cam is 189.00 exchange plus shipping, So shipping both ways, to return the core is about 45 I would guess.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
about how much they run, and what kind of special tools, gaskets, etc do I need to completely install one?

Timing case gasket set, intake and valve cover sets. Harmonic balancer puller and a small press to r&r the cam gear and pump eccentric.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be thinking on that when I pull my spare motor out then, thanks. I'll remember this for sure.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody been reading Diesel Power lately? They've been doing buildups based on certain budgets, like 5000, 10000, etc. Do you think could set up a sort of Buildup thing here, like, start with a stock motor, give specs without mods, specs with exhaust and pump work, specs with turbo, specs with turbo + injectors, specs with turbo + injectors + head studs, etc... Does anybody want to list this kindof stuff? Like some ballpark hp estimates, etc...? I mean, I know a little, but it would be nice to have a list to work from. Say that I want a street truck with 300 hp, then I look on the list, and then I know what I have to do to get it. Does anybody want to undertake that kind of project?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the numbers from the dyno day we had at the 2009 IDI Rally in Bowling Green, KY. This was done at TS Performance on their SuperFlow Dyno. This is posted in the FAQ section at the top of the forum.

Q. What kind of horsepower can I expect from an IDI 6.9 or 7.3 diesel?

A. Contributed by Heath Sutton...

Editors note... These results are rear wheel SAE horsepower numbers achieved on a SuperFlow dynometer unit during the 2009 IDI Weekend in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and represent a large cross section of truck models and styles. Some Powerstroke engines are listed for comparison. Most were modified.

Name - Horsepower - Torque in ft/lbs

Non turbo results

John Herbert 143.9/ 261.3
Marnin Gehman 137.4/ 257.1
Heath Sutton 123.2/ 218.7
Matthias Agne 108.8/ 229.1

Turbo results

Heath Sutton- DPS inj 185.1/ 404.0
Heath Sutton MM's 178.7/ 387.9
Joe Perry 172.5/ 313.6
Suzi Agne 151.9/ 284.2
Steve Reitner 150.0/ 300.3
Chris Barber 148.7/ 278.8
Jared Whitmer 136.0/ 304.1

Powerstrokes

Gary Russell 302.8/ 557.2
Aric Hornsby 301.9/ 543.7
Bonnie Young 181.8/ 373.3

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just need to read my signature and the signature of the guys listed on the dyno results to see the mods made. If you need any help ID'ing them, just ask.

Heath

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the list of what I have done to my engine
Sleeved 2 bad holes and bored 20 over, coated low comp pistons,rods bushed and bored about 8 thou shorter to lower comp more, coated bearings ,rockers, pivots. Torque cam. bronze PEP valve guides, the best there is IMO, inconel exhaust valves, new springs are mandatory. Polished ports,balanced bottom end.Block decked 4 thou, heads 5. ARP studs for the heads.
New melling oil pump. NOT recommended. Check out the original, if it is in spec, re use it. Polished and shimmed the oil relief, they get sticky after many miles.
I had to remachine mine to get the clearances in spec, the melling rep said they cant check them all, nice attitude. Cermakromed the exhaust parts to keep in the heat for the turbo.

Then the turbo has a bigger wheel in the compressor and it is intercooled with a cut down PS IC.
13 psi loaded and I can hit 1100 on the pyro easy, stock pump wide open.BB injectors.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will only use Mahle for off the shelf. Full custom pistons, Ross or JE.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What else has to be removed to replace the cam with the engine still in the truck? I would expect the rad has to come out, but does the AC and trans cooler(s) have to get pulled too?

Been too long since I had my beast apart and can't picture the length of the cam.

Are these camshafts in stock and ready to go, or does the core have to be sent in first?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have some done but I have to have the core back in 30 days.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, Typ4, that sounds like a lot of custom work. About all i'd plan to do would be cam it, head studs, polish and paint everything (black/red/chrome ;)) and turbo it. And hopefully shoot for 300 at the crank.