Performance engine parts

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Why does IH make things so difficult?cookoo

Alright, first order of business is to turn the motor into a freewheeler without giving up too much compression. A point or 2 won't hurt. Then put a real cam into it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freewheeler? You mean non interference? Thats not going to be easy without dropping to really low CR. I'm thinking you are better off just opening up the lift more after the piston leaves the "kill zone" to help with aspiration. I'm no expert but thinking about this in my head, near the top of the stroke, the piston speed is not very much anyway compared to halfway through the stroke when piston speed (and flow) in theory would be the highest.

I guess nearly all of that gets thrown out the window once you factor in turbocharging and the fact that air doesn't have a fixed volume.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Freewheeler? You mean non interference? Thats not going to be easy without dropping to really low CR. I'm thinking you are better off just opening up the lift more after the piston leaves the "kill zone" to help with aspiration. I'm no expert but thinking about this in my head, near the top of the stroke, the piston speed is not very much anyway compared to halfway through the stroke when piston speed (and flow) in theory would be the highest.

I guess nearly all of that gets thrown out the window once you factor in turbocharging and the fact that air doesn't have a fixed volume.

That's the thing about it, this is pretty unknown territory. No one has done it for a street application that we are aware of. We can't speculate about it, it's got to be found out. Compression can be preserved somewhat, once we know what we are working with, but a little loss for the sake of improved breathing will make more power.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as my buildup, I don't know. I was almost wondering if there was some way to make power without a turbo, but I think that's dead in the water. I was looking at something that was a capable daily rig, but also able to hold it's own in a pull, and just looking at building power in general. I kinda threw this question out there just to see what all would come up.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remembered reading about the crazy tight clearences somewhere but I thought it was closer to 25 thou. Glad I looked it up because I was a little off.

Found this too:

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/international-1100d-articles.html

When I rebuilt my engine I did find one of the pistons with a valve imprint on it. Nothing major, just enough to leave a mark. At least the valves are verticle to the pistons:dunno

It is also a gear driven engine instead of chain or (gasp) belt in the case of light duty diesels, so the chances of that clearance getting out of spec are fairly unlikely.
One thing about IH, they built all of their engines for reliability. Their gas V8's were gear driven, and the blocks and everything just had more meat in em. We've got a 404 gas in a 2 ton that makes great power, and has over 300,000 miles

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
My basic rule is anything can be done. I go against the grain when folks say it's not possible to do, because most of the critisism comes from not having done it before.
Only a handful of people have gotten really serious power out of the 6.9/7.3, and it usually involved turbos, lots of boost, water/****, nitrous or some other forced induction. The injection pump was changed to a plunger style pump.

What it comes down to is what do you want to do, and how far will you go because this motor requires commitment. It's not a bad engine, it's just that you have to do more work to make the numbers happen. The more we dig into this thing, the more we'll find solutions. The technology is there to wake the engine up, and make a streetable and competitive package out of this thing.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can change the motor around, but you can't change the science. At normal atmospheric presure, the cylinder will only contain X amount of air, no matter how big the holes are for it to get in there. Consequently you can only burn so much fuel, and make so much power. The turbo and other drugs are needed to get around that limitation of nature. The big discussion around valve timing, port polishing, etc., is all about perfecting that act of trickery.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as my buildup, I don't know. I was almost wondering if there was some way to make power without a turbo, but I think that's dead in the water. I was looking at something that was a capable daily rig, but also able to hold it's own in a pull, and just looking at building power in general. I kinda threw this question out there just to see what all would come up.

Typ4 had a "torque" cam that seems to work well, but I have no personal experience and it seems there are no dyno results to prove the claims. However, it is cheaper than a turbo kit.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typ4 had a "torque" cam that seems to work well, but I have no personal experience and it seems there are no dyno results to prove the claims. However, it is cheaper than a turbo kit.
Hmm. That sounds interesting, is Typ4 a company or a person? Could you tell me a little more?

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know. Like I said, I just wanted see somebody else's input on the thing, thanks for all the answers, I might send a message to russ. It all depends what I decide to do to the old girl.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The torque cam was designed by the cam grinder I use, for the loggers when these trucks came out. They designed it for na and I used it in my turbo engine and it pulls , hard.
I sell them as they are a wholesale shop.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about how much they run, and what kind of special tools, gaskets, etc do I need to completely install one?

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I would be willing to try said cam in my s-1600 as it needs all the low end it can get. Again, how much?