Parts at work.

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work at a large salvage yard in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. We have been getting a lot of vehicles in and I am trying to save parts from the crusher. I got my hands on an ATS Intake box and the hat that sits on top of the intake. I couldn't get the rest of the system off the truck. The turbo was siezed up. 1989 7.3 in an F250. I also have a early 90's Cummins turbo diesel intercooler spotted. It is still in the truck, but I can pull it tomorrow on my lunch. I am not trying to get rich selling parts, trying to save them from the crusher, but I can get the stuff for a little cash and shipping, or trade. Lot of Ford 1/2, 3/4 ton 4x4 stuff. I can look for anything if it will help anyone out. I can also get the intercooler tubing also. I am working on collecting factory Ford turbo stuff to put on my 92 7.3.

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have powerstrokes, I have my eye on a couple 7.3's in the warehouse, a 97, an 01, and a couple 00 models. Those newer, 98 and up trucks are plentiful. It is the older trucks we are getting in as part of the clunker deal. Only bad thing, is the motors are seized up and so are the turbos on turbocharged trucks. I thought if someone was wanting to custom fit, I would get the intercooler.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
We have powerstrokes, I have my eye on a couple 7.3's in the warehouse, a 97, an 01, and a couple 00 models. Those newer, 98 and up trucks are plentiful. It is the older trucks we are getting in as part of the clunker deal. Only bad thing, is the motors are seized up and so are the turbos on turbocharged trucks. I thought if someone was wanting to custom fit, I would get the intercooler.

Danm i was wanting a turbo charger off of a early psd, stupid cash for clunkers-cuss:backoff:backoff

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah is sucks. The dealerships run sodium silicate, (liquid glass) in the oil and it locks them up, along with the turbos. I can get Ford truck manual pedal assy's and columns. Transmissions, transfercases, front and rear ends, but no motors. Lot of 80-97 Ford trucks if anyone needs interior or underhood stuff. I am tracking down a wiring harness for someone now.

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
i would almost think----that the turbo would take very little to fix, unless they were winding the h out of them when the engine siezed, as theres no side pressure on the turbo bearing---so--if you fine more of those idi turbo setups---i believe id retreve them--whole setup--turbos off the pwrs also

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suposedlly they are winding them up untill they seize, some have even had the radiators busted to help overheat. I pulled the intake off one turbo, and oil poured out. But if they can be rebuilt easily, I will try to get them. By the way, what kind of turbo came on the early chev diesels.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Suposedlly they are winding them up untill they seize, some have even had the radiators busted to help overheat. I pulled the intake off one turbo, and oil poured out. But if they can be rebuilt easily, I will try to get them. By the way, what kind of turbo came on the early chev diesels.

i beileve it was some kind of borg and warner turbo, i have seen one adapted to an idi, but i would rather have a non gated psd turbo on a idi;Sweet

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
If the housings are still good on the turbos, Russ can get the cartridges and they'll be good as new. Can you get any IDI's? 6.9s preferably.

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the truck is still in the pile. I will try and get the rest of the ATS setup off that one truck. It might be easier to rip the cab off to do it, with all that heat through the years the bolts were tight. I know there is also another early PSD, and a later intercooled truck hidden back there I will try to snag them off of.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I believe the truck is still in the pile. I will try and get the rest of the ATS setup off that one truck. It might be easier to rip the cab off to do it, with all that heat through the years the bolts were tight. I know there is also another early PSD, and a later intercooled truck hidden back there I will try to snag them off of.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone buys a PSD, they have to bring a core in, usually those turbos are still good, along with the manifolds, pedestal and such. But since getting my 7.3, I have yet to come across one at work. I also scored a big Pierce winch off a truck today. Who would trade in a truck with a winch that big in the bed? I cut it out during lunch, cleaned it up and it works....needs some work, but the important stuff is there. I am getting some pictures of it tomorrow to help id it.