On way home, injector line broke in half!

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my way home from my trip and about an hour and a half to go my injector line broke in half by the pump. No idea how that happened. Can I drive her home the rest of the way? Thanks in advance

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
injector line as in feed line between the pump and injector? If so.. negative. You wont get it to seal up with hose or anything as the pump produces 2k+ psi on the injector feeds.

Perhaps you could put a hose on it into a container and limp it home on 7 cylinders... but you'll be filling the container relatively quickly.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once drove 28 miles with hard line for injector 2 cracked in half by the ip. I jammed a rag behind the line to push it as flush as I could back against the ip to try and limit the leak. It ran ok highway speed, but at idle it would only idle at 400 rpm and shook crazy I thought my dmf was gonna shake apart.

I wouldn't do it again honestly, it's an easy fix once you get a new line for that injector and I had an engine soaked in fuel. I actually bought a used set of hard lines from Riotwarrior and keep them behind the back seat with a 5/8 wrench should it ever happen again.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just running it and it's leaking into the valley pan. I didn't think nothing would hurt by doing that. So yeah it's only running on 7 now, still not a good idea?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really have a choice other than getting it towed, just wondering if I will do major damage driving it like this

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think you'll cause any harm to the engine or parts... it'll just run terrible and make a mess.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not the expert others are on here, I'm still learning for sure but having dealt with the same issue as you before my only advice if you are going to attempt it would be to (if you can) stop every I dunno 20 ish miles and soak up what you can in the valley pan and monitor your temps to make sure nothing is happening as a result of it. If there is any way you can wedge that line more together where it separated (I just used a sock between the line and the the block by the ip but it may depend on what injector broke for you) that may help the leak slow some and keep the other injectors with good pressure if nothing else.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There 4 clamps on the injector lines that hold the groups of 4 together and keep them from cracking by vibration from the engine. Mine was missing one of the 4 clamps and that's the side where a line broke.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful on your way home you don't brake anymore. With no clamps, and a severely increased shaky engine your chances of braking another line are unfortunately higher then they already were with no clamps. Get those back on asap. Best of luck.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would, at a minimum,,,
take some small diameter rope and weave them inbetween the lines and get it tight.
that way they are not moving as much.