On way home, injector line broke in half!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I guess you are home or stranded on the road with more broken lines. Sadly you have learned an expensive lesson as I did many years ago. Those 4 line vibration isolators MUST BE IN PLACE. You and I are living learning proof the hard lines will break. Mine was the number 2 cylinder. Thats the cylinder closest to the radiator on the drivers side of the engine. EVERY cylinder has the number cast into the intake manifold between the 2 bolts that connects the manifold to the head. Just clean off some dirt to see them. You can drive it on 7 cylinders but it will be messy and ruff running. Nothing will fail because of it. Really not very much fuel is actually pumped to the injectors on these engines. Hope you broke and easy to reach hard line. Unfortunately mine was the bottom of the injection pump and I was very new to these engines. A Ford dealer charged me nearly 400 bucks to replace the line. They told me they had to remove every line to reach the broken line...:bs:bs:bs Later on in my continuing idi education I found out Ford made a special 3/8 drive socket to reach down under the hard lines to remove the 2 impossible to reach bottom lines. BTW they charged me nearly 100 bucks for the hard line...:eek::eek::eek::mad:

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
this thread makes me wanna take a crap line from the junkyard and make a SHTF cap to carry in the glove box......

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
You might be able to put a compression fitting on just to get you home. I would not leave it though. They are not nearly strong enough for continued use.

Like mentioned you need to get your clamps back on or soon you will have more broken.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well that's interesting.
How many would actually try snaking that thing in?
We have plenty "how do I get the Injector line's off" threads. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a little late, but I would have stopped at an Auto parts store, take the line off, #2 isn't to hard to get at, get a piece of brake line and bubble flare it, course you would have to take the nuts off the original, make it long enough to bend into position. That would get you home. Might leak a little, but better than spraying fuel all over. Might have to put a couple of lock washers behind the flare to make it fit into the injector and IP, trial and error.

Attachments

• e2y9etyj.jpg
    e2y9etyj.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 41

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good idea (flare) but then ya gotta carry brake line and tools as well.
That emergency flex line is a pretty good idea actually IDIoit,, way too expensive IMO but good none the less.

Keep that special tool for removing the bottom lines icanfixall mentioned and you are set...
along with spare wheel, spare oil cooler, pickup screen, lift pump, serp/v belts, crimpers, bullet connectors......and anythign else that may possibly break! lol

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good idea (flare) but then ya gotta carry brake line and tools as well.
That emergency flex line is a pretty good idea actually IDIoit,, way too expensive IMO but good none the less.

Keep that special tool for removing the bottom lines icanfixall mentioned and you are set...
along with spare wheel, spare oil cooler, pickup screen, lift pump, serp/v belts, crimpers, bullet connectors......and anythign else that may possibly break! lol

the best way to solve this, is to keep a spare set of lines in the truck, and the tools to do it. but theres obviously a small percentage of us that think this far in advance
and i certainly am not one of them lol

but the cheapest way to avoid this is to put your damn clamps back on.

no offense to the OP, but why would you not put these back on?
when i saw my first IDI, i wondered what those clamps actually do, because they were ugly.

but quickly told myself they are there for a reason.

same thing back in the day when i took off all those plastic electrical push in hold down thingies...
but i took them off anyway and ended up with an alternator wire caught in my fan and left me stranded and dead on a low traffic levee road LOL

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey sorry for the late reply I did end up getting back home late last night with a lot of diesel fuel all over everywhere. I had the clamps off because I swapped out injection pump and lines and I never put them back on because I didn't think they were necessary. I know now that they are necessary and will put them on as soon as possible after I get the new line in. Thanks for all the advice and by the way where can I get that special socket? I believe the one that broke off is on the driver's side and second from the bottom of the pump. What is the best way to clean all the diesel fuel out of there can I just spray it down? I also noticed what looked like oil leaking on the driver's side right above the manifold closest to the radiator I don't know if that is the valve cover gasket or something else.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember these Diesels go BANG 18 times a second @ 2200 RPM. That's a lot of vibration. The rubber in those line clamps is there to absorb that vibration.

As far as cleaning the engine, take a spray bottle and spray it down with Purple Power or something like that, leave it set for half hour then wash it off with a light water hose spray, Keep the hood open facing the Sun to dry off for a couple hours. Don't get any water in the intake horn.

Last edited:

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the best way to solve this, is to keep a spare set of lines in the truck, and the tools to do it. but theres obviously a small percentage of us that think this far in advance
and i certainly am not one of them lol

but the cheapest way to avoid this is to put your damn clamps back on.

no offense to the OP, but why would you not put these back on?
when i saw my first IDI, i wondered what those clamps actually do, because they were ugly.

but quickly told myself they are there for a reason.

same thing back in the day when i took off all those plastic electrical push in hold down thingies...
but i took them off anyway and ended up with an alternator wire caught in my fan and left me stranded and dead on a low traffic levee road LOL

I also carry a FSS with me. Ever been lucky enough to have one on its last leg give out on you 10 miles from home? I just happened to be lucky enough that day that I didn't clean my truck out from my last trip and had a spare IP. 5 or so minutes later I was hammering down the road again.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I go the opposite direction. I let the truck know that it is a trusted mode of transportation and take no spare parts, not even tools. So far it works like a charm and I don't have all that ballast rattling around behind the seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online